A Taste of Africa At Home?

Daktari

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
US: FL, ME
Hello, I'm wondering what are your thoughts of an idea of mine. Someday I wish to hunt an alligator and thought what would be the most memorable way to do it. My solution was to hunt the gator in the Louisiana bayou using a wild hog carcass fixed to a stake on raised ground from the water as bait. I would be set up in a tree stand overlooking the bait and a crocodile type of shot would be required to harvest the alligator. This is the most exciting and sporting method of alligator hunting I can think of, what do ya'll think?

Last edited:
I have experienced this on more than one occasion. Was a long time ago. I wasn’t in a tree stand though and used whole chickens. Let’s just say we had enough of a few problem gators eating our dogs on our hunting club. We had called the spot the gator hole. It doesn’t have gators anymore to my knowledge.

SC has big gators but I think you have to use a pistol or bang stick legally speaking.

Justin that is very cool, do you have any pictures you mind sharing of the gator hunting? What is considered a good gator? I was thinking 12 ft+

Or you can go hunting some African exotic game on some of texas ranches, stalking, and using african sticks. I suppose gator hunt as described is more economic option?

Or you can go hunting some African exotic game on some of texas ranches, stalking, and using african sticks. I suppose gator hunt as described is more economic option?
I am of the opinion that if I'm gonna hunt on a Texas ranch it would be for native game or exotic species that I couldn't hunt in their native habitat such as Dama Gazelle or Addax. I'm still new in my hunting journey and would rather pursue more native game before going on an exotic hunt but I agree with your recommendation, there is nothing better than spot and stalk hunting with the sticks.

we didn’t take pictures back in those days.
10-12 ft is a good gator. I’d say Louisiana or Florida is easiest. They have a draw now in SC and it may take 3 years to draw a tag. Biggest I have seen is 13 ft 8” dead. A 10 ft gator could be found in a day or less.

I live in SC and have tagged out on 4 gators. Biggest was 11'6". Got one this year that was 9'8". Others were 8'9" and 8'4". Any gator over 10' is big. We have a tag system and only 1200 are drawn each year for the 4 zones to hunt. 300 tags for each zone so there can be a wait to get a tag but you build preference points for each unsuccessful draw. I average 3 preference points for each tag. You can go out on your own or hire a guide. There is no long gun hunting for gators here. You have to attach to the gator with a line and then either kill it with a handgun or bang stick. We use snatch hooks on heavy spinning and baitcasting gear to attach ours and then harpoon them to get better control. Bows, crossbows, and hand tossed snatch hooks are also allowed. 6'-8' are all over the place. 8'-9' are common. Over 10 and they can be tricky to find. They don't get big by being dumb. We hunted over 20 days to get my 9'8 and didn't fill our second tag at all. This was after hooking up numerous times to big gators. 8-9 footers=common and fairly easy to find. 9-10=less common but quite a few out there if you know where to look. 10-11=getting in to the big boys and a great trophy. 11-12 = dinosaur and a a fantastic trophy. 12'+ Godzilla range and you better be ready for the long haul because they can go over a thousand pounds and hold their breath for over 2 hours and drag you around for hours. We hooked up to a 12+ and lost him after 6 hours. Hooked up briefly to him two days later then didn't see him again for over two weeks right before the season ended and he wouldn't let us get closer than a hundred yards. Gonna be hard waiting to draw a tag and hope he doesn't get taken in the next 3 years! I highly recommend going after one any place they are legal. Gator hunting is a blast!

Difference between an 8'4" and an 11'6". 152 lbs and 401 lbs.
Hero shot.JPG
The trophy.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you very Rider, that second gator is a tank! How have they been for eating? Are the bigger ones still tasty?

Most white meat is good eating. The dark meat takes some culinary creativity…

Chef friend of mine in N.O. cooks all alligator meat in oil first, for a short time, to get the muddy water taste out. Then cook again in your normal recipe as called for. I follow this method unless facilities and situation don’t allow.

11 ft’er out of Port Arthur TX. We don’t see many that big. Could potentially put you on a Tag next September out of Anahuac. Archery, Gig, or line are the only allowed methods in TX though. Archery and Gig spear is fun.

325E99E4-ECAE-4542-9756-04B70B9AD7F9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very Rider, that second gator is a tank! How have they been for eating? Are the bigger ones still tasty?
Gator meat is all good no matter the size in my opinion. Needs to be processed right so it isn't too chewy. Got 110 lbs of meat out of the 11 footer. about half gator bites and half gator sausage.

Thats an incredible yield, best gator meat I've had is a gator kabob in Homestead, FL. Would love to make my own some day.

Thats an incredible yield, best gator meat I've had is a gator kabob in Homestead, FL. Would love to make my own some day.
Try a good slow cooked alligator piquant, It just melts in your mouth!

Alligator Sauce Piquante

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
  • 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
  • 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
  • 1 large ripe tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
  • 1 1/2 tsp. minced jalapeño
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/4 tsp. ground thyme
  • 1/2 tsp. hot sauce
  • 4 cups beef or chicken broth, plus additional as needed
  • 2 lbs. cleaned Louisiana alligator meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • Salt
  • Ground black pepper
  • Cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 cup sliced green onion
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 6 cups hot cooked rice
Directions:
  1. In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly until a dark-brown roux forms, about 12 to 14 minutes.
  2. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic; cook until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, tomato, jalapeño, bay leaf, thyme and hot sauce. Slowly add broth, stirring constantly, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes.
  3. Gently stir in alligator, increase heat to medium and cook, stirring often, for 30 to 45 minutes or until meat is tender.
  4. Season to taste with salt and peppers.
  5. Additional broth may be added if sauce becomes too thick.
  6. Remove and discard bay leaf.
  7. Add green onion and parsley, and serve over rice.

I am of the opinion that if I'm gonna hunt on a Texas ranch it would be for native game or exotic species that I couldn't hunt in their native habitat such as Dama Gazelle or Addax. I'm still new in my hunting journey and would rather pursue more native game before going on an exotic hunt but I agree with your recommendation, there is nothing better than spot and stalk hunting with the sticks.

No firsthand experience, but there are free ranging Axis deer in Texas with a few outfitters specializing in them

As to gator, I had it in a restaurant one time. It didn't taste like chicken; it tasted like a giant rubberband marinated in swamp water :A Vomit:

No firsthand experience, but there are free ranging Axis deer in Texas with a few outfitters specializing in them

As to gator, I had it in a restaurant one time. It didn't taste like chicken; it tasted like a giant rubberband marinated in swamp water :A Vomit:
Sounds like the restaurant you got it from didn't clean/prepare the gator properly. I've had gator on a few occasions and didn't encounter that. Meat handling is so important to ensure great quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!