A small upgrade of my Heym 88B

Tanks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I needed a slight adjustment to be made to the LOP of my Heym 88B .500 NE. While at it I figured I'd get the recoil pad wrapped in leather. Chris Sells recommended to me the gentleman that does that work for H&H in the USA.

Got it back today and it looks and feels awesome. I chose the classic brownish red color instead of black. Here is what it looks like. Underneath is a Pachmayr recoil pad. Here is a quick pic.

1615152376479.png

BnC 04

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, RMEF, DU, NWTF, NRA
Hunted
Canada/Europe/Africa/14 US States
Smooth and classy look. I like it.

Ravensview

Bronze supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
That is nice looking, the wood on that stock is beautifu!

CJW

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
That's how every recoil pad should look.

Tra3

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia
Very nice! How is it affixed? Is it glued to the recoil pad or to the stock? Looks near flush so it won’t catch, quality workmanship.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Very nice man!

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Superb! I wonder if that gentleman is still in Northwest Louisiana who does that work for them?

Tokoloshe Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2017
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.tokoloshesafaris.com
Media
Articles
Member of
Life Member Safari International
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
Very nice, excellent craftsmanship! How does the rifle fit and point now?

Tanks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Superb! I wonder if that gentleman is still in Northwest Louisiana who does that work for them?
Yes. That's the gentleman. A very nice guy as well. I will be sending the receiver of my VC .450 NE to him this coming week. I wanted to see the quality of work (though I had no doubts based on samples I saw) before sending a second one over.

Very nice, excellent craftsmanship! How does the rifle fit and point now?

Great. It was just a tad long in LOP prior and fits and points naturally now. I'll take it out to shoot next week.

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
I needed a slight adjustment to be made to the LOP of my Heym 88B .500 NE. While at it I figured I'd get the recoil pad wrapped in leather. Chris Sells recommended to me the gentleman that does that work for H&H in the USA.

Got it back today and it looks and feels awesome. I chose the classic brownish red color instead of black. Here is what it looks like. Underneath is a Pachmayr recoil pad. Here is a quick pic.

View attachment 392070

Looks great, Tanks. Properly “Lined” English Pigskin too. These are much harder to execute than you might imagine. Even then, they are “darned hard to do” when using a firm Silver’s pad. Double that difficulty with a soft pad like a Pachmayr. Whoever did the work was highly skilled.

I might mention that these pads do erode, decay, and rot. They do so primarily from getting moist from sweat or humidity and then they easily damage. Yours with the Pachmayr underneath will do so even moreso because the pad will flex a lot more thus the leather will be “worked” greatly. Here’s what you can do to add to its life significantly:

Fiebings makes a leather care product for the trade called “leather balm with atom wax”. This is a milky, neutral color protectant and sealant that glazes over the leather and prevents loss of color as well. You need a piece of lambs wool (hide on) and you apply the milky wax to it but you do not rub it much, or you’ll start to rub off leather. About 15-30 mins later the wax has saturated the leather and it is no longer soaked. You then buff it with another piece of dry lambs wool similar to the one you used to apply it. It is now dry enough that the buffing is giving it a satin sheen and is protecting that leather. You can allow it to completely dry and reapply a couple days later, repeatedly. If you do this it will last a lifetime. My shotgun has easily hunted 200-400 days, plus countless range days and 100,000s of shells and while its showing wear, it is still functional. I was warned these only last 2-3 years of light use, my leather protocol has shown it to last 12 years so far and its endured 100x more use than a double rifle is ever subjected.

TSALA HUNTING SAFARIS

Sponsor
Since 2016
AH enthusiast
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.tsalasafari.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Wildlife ranching SA.Phasa
The craftsmanship looks very good on that addition Tanks.

I also like the stock on that rifle , beautiful wood.

AZDAVE

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
A very nice touch to any classic rifle. The gentleman certainly does fine work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeneseGall

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.