A rifle predicament, any advice?

Hunt101

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I've gotten myself into a tough spot with a hunt approaching this July. First the fun part, I'm going to be headed to the Caprivi this July to hunt my first Elephant. I'm booked with VAN HEERDEN SAFARIS, and I've been working on this trip for two years now. To make this trip perfect I decided to have my first custom double rifle built, I've owned others but this would be the first built to my exact specs. My previous rifle had been a nice 470, not being recoil sensitive I decided to move up to a .500 for this custom build. Knowing a custom build takes time I started the process last January, 2016. I put a hefty deposit up with the maker not the ordinary 50%, but 85%. I was promised the rifle by January 2017, which by all accounts would have been plenty of time for load development, and practice.

As of a week and half ago I receive news from the importer and maker, while inquiring to my rifles status.

The permit for the rifle was no longer valid, and a new permit would not be ready until the end of March to mid-April 2017.

To say my heart sank is an understatement, after planning my first elephant hunt for two years, and planning and waiting on the rifle for over a year the delivery date is horribly off. To make things worse I sold my .470 early this year because I couldn't justify a .470 and .500 just too close. So I am now within seven months of my safari with no gun big enough for an elephant.

In hindsight, I see my errors:

1. Don't pay so much upfront.

2. Don't sell your only elephant gun, until the new one arrives.

If the rifle leaves mid-April it still must get into this country, and there certainly isn't much time to make corrections should anything be wrong. I dropped some coin on this rifle, and can't really budget to just buy a second .500 to sit on the shelf if this one doesn't arrive.

My questions for you guys are:

1. How long do you think it would take to get a rifle cleared through customs coming into the U.S.A.?

2. Does anyone know the minimum time paperwork needs to be filed in advance for the gun/s you are bringing into Namibia?

3. If this delivery date is missed and things get really to the wire can gun permits be filled out when entering the country?

4. I know the serial number of the rifle, if I filled out permits for the gun, and then failed to bring it would there be any issues?

Namibia is THE easiest gun paperwork you will ever fill out.
Yes you can do it at the airport on arrival. Simple.

You have nothing to worry about on that end.

Your only problem is getting your gun into the USA.

My questions for you guys are:

1. How long do you think it would take to get a rifle cleared through customs coming into the U.S.A.?

I can't offer any answers to your questions. But I would have to imagine this isn't the first time your rifle maker has exported to the USA. And I would have to imagine he works with a USA based import agent. I'd find out who that import agent is and run question 1 by them.

Do you know which bullet the new rifle was being regulated with? I would want to know exactly what that load is and have a bunch built up prior to the rifle arriving so as to be prepared to shoot upon arrival.

If you don't mind my asking who is making this rifle for you?

The maker uses Hornady .500 ammo for regulating, I assume that will be the Hornady DGX bullet.

The maker does have a dedicated U.S.A. importer, but I'm questioning some of the information I'm being given. I was promised earlier this year that my gun would be with the batch of new guns imported for the show circuit. Somehow my gun runs into permit issues, while other guns for the show circuit arrive just fine. Go figure, probably more money to be had in selling a new gun no one has paid anything on, as opposed to collecting my remaining 15%.

I am happy to hear that Namibia is easy going with rifle permits, maybe there is still hope for me yet.

Bought a double "shotgun" from William Evans on 27 October, 2016. Had in my hands in the states on 13 December, 2016. This was a used gun already built. Griffin and Howe was the importer.

You are going to need Hornady DGS ammo in anticipation of the arrival of the rifle. I suspect also that it would be worth your time and expense to telephone the maker and importer to get the facts straight.

You are going to need Hornady DGS ammo in anticipation of the arrival of the rifle. I suspect also that it would be worth your time and expense to telephone the maker and importer to get the facts straight.

I will certainly have some in the waiting. I've been in contact with the maker, and importer diligently since this process began. Based on the way I'm being treated, I don't know if either cares. This particular maker is introducing a brand new rifle this year, and seems more interested in taking additional deposits instead of making good on my deposit taken.

I have went as far as to speak to the owner of the manufacturing firm who is producing the rifle, all seems to fall on uncaring ears.

Kind of like having your balls in a bear trap.

Ammo to Go:
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/rifle-ammo-500-nitro-express

upload_2017-1-3_7-4-29.png

I know this may sound silly, but if the gun is built and there is just a paperwork problem perhaps a phone call to the BATF might help. I know their reputation isn't stellar, but perhaps you can find a sympathetic ear willing to help you.

I have recently received some good news from the maker, it appears they have come up with a solution to get my rifle shipped by the end of the month. Assuming they hit this ship date all should be just fine, with plenty of time for load development and practicing. Thank you to everyone for the advice and help locating some good prices on ammo.

I have recently received some good news from the maker, it appears they have come up with a solution to get my rifle shipped by the end of the month. Assuming they hit this ship date all should be just fine, with plenty of time for load development and practicing. Thank you to everyone for the advice and help locating some good prices on ammo.

Awesome!! Congratulations

Glad to hear that everything turned out ok. Are they going to give you a couple of boxes of ammo for your "pain and suffering?"

A crying shame when maker miss delivery dates where's the rifle coming from it easier to get guns out of some countries than others.

Personnal id make sure I've ammo ready for testing and speak directly to the gunmaker.

Glad it's on it's way. I'll simply reiterate @BRICKBURN response that Namibia is THE easiest place to take a gun. I always fill out the form ahead of time but there is really no reason to. Just fill out a one pager at the airport on arrival and off you go. Just keep your receipt/license with you at all times.
Have a great ele hunt!
Regards,
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg