A really good rifle sling: Slogan Ultraflex

I have two of the Slogan versions of this sling that I learned about from my Namibian outfitter who'd picked it up while at shows in the states. Simple and very functional. I love them but I have swapped the swivels out with steel quick disconnect ones Ruger has included with their rifles (thank you, Ruger). Incidentally the Specialty Outdoor version is the exact same sling. Near as I can guess they're past business partners gone their seperate ways. Both business adresses are pretty close on the map, logos are amazingly similar and the guy running Specialty Outdoors mentions he used to sell the Slogan Ultraflex in his site.

I have one on a rifle & love it. Go for the larger size if your chest is 42" or larger.

I wonder if the poly sling swivels are quieter than steel? That is one problem with a sling is squeaky swivels! I think I’ll get one and find out.
Philip

I wonder if the poly sling swivels are quieter than steel? That is one problem with a sling is squeaky swivels! I think I’ll get one and find out.
Philip
Maybe. Here's a pic of the plastic ones from the sling I haven't switched over to metal.
1507948625639.jpeg

The have the word BRUTE molded into them if you want to look for them and reviews on the net.

I just bought this Ultimate Sling from Specialty Outdoor Products after reading this thread. I still have to use it, and having a rubber sling feels odd. But, their customer service is great. They made an effort to get it to me before my hunt. I am in Canada and I leave a week Saturday.

20201113_165347.jpg

Just a note on sling use. I keep sling swivels wrapped with a couple rounds of electrical tape to preclude premature opening and prevent squeaks.

Slogan slings are very nice! Light, cling to your shoulder, and can be used multiple ways .

Thanks for bringing this thread up. I am in the market for a new sling for my double rifle. Do any of you have experience with both this sling and Trader Keith rifle sling? If so which one would you recommend?

In one of Boddington Africa Safari videos the good colonel recommends the Trader Keith sling. It is described as:
“Designed by Trader Keith for double rifles and large bore magazines. Carried securely, quietly, and comfortably. Made of the finest cotton (1.5" width) and impregnated with two rows of silicone rubber to prevent slipping.

1605360992661.jpeg

Here is a closeup of the sling so you can see the esthetics.

20201114_091811.jpg

My initial thought is that it would have been very useful last time in South Africa. I was with @KMG Hunting Safaris and we had to crawl over that satanic scrub that grows over there to get close to a Zebra. But my biggest concern was trying not to give Marius an enema with the 375 while crawling through pointy plants. Completely stressed me out actually. I think this double strap and stickiness of this sling would have been a real help.

While practicing with the strap yesterday I noticed that I have to change how I pull the rifle off of my shoulder and into position as it really grips the jacket.

Hope that helps with the decision.

Thanks for bringing this thread up. I am in the market for a new sling for my double rifle. Do any of you have experience with both this sling and Trader Keith rifle sling? If so which one would you recommend?

In one of Boddington Africa Safari videos the good colonel recommends the Trader Keith sling. It is described as:
“Designed by Trader Keith for double rifles and large bore magazines. Carried securely, quietly, and comfortably. Made of the finest cotton (1.5" width) and impregnated with two rows of silicone rubber to prevent slipping.

View attachment 375610

I do not have experience with both, but allow me to comment on some of the obvious differences.

The rubber vs cotton: The rubber sling gives some shock absorbing characteristics that makes it easier on the shoulders.

I've bought my slings from Slogan, not Outdoor Specialty. Same sling, but looking at Slogan's website you can see they offer many more options and variations. I met the Slogan guy, Curt Hann, at DSC a few years ago and told him I loved the slings but not plastic swivels. Within a year or so, he was offering quick disconnect swivels.

BTW, on my recent Montana elk hunt, we were in -10F temps the first couple days and the Slogan slings performed great. Both my son-in-law and I had them on our rifles and we had to lengthen them a bit because we were wearing a lot of layers and bulked up a bit.

For a relatively heavy double DG rifle, I'd order the magnum sling with quick disconnect swivels. Watch the video on the Slogan website.

I've bought my slings from Slogan, not Outdoor Specialty. Same sling, but looking at Slogan's website you can see they offer many more options and variations.
I honestly didn't mean to poach in on this thread. I was confused and thought they were the same company that had changed their branding.

I honestly didn't mean to poach in on this thread. I was confused and thought they were the same company that had changed their branding.

I don't think you poached, you added to the discussion. The relationship between Slogan and Outdoor Specialty is a bit weird and unclear.

You don't hear too many people asking, "hey, what type of rifle sling do I need?" It's usually an afterthought or you simply switch an old sling from rifle to rifle. A few years ago while on a Montana elk hunt, I was impressed with a rifle sling the outfitter had. (you ever notice outfitters, PHs, guides usually have good gear).

The sling is Slogan Ultraflex. I had never heard of them, not that many slings are marketedd much and known by name brand. Check them out and look at the videos for each product. I bought a regular and a magnum one and like them a lot. For hiking in rough terrain, they really stay on your shoulder. It also has some shock absorbing effect to it, which gives the shoulder and break a bit of a break. The only thing I don't like is the swivels are not the quick connect like an Uncle Mikes. I emailed Slogan and gave them the feedback on the swivels and actually emailed me back. Didn't change them, but a reply was nice. If you had this sling on a DG rifle and wanted to quickly remove the sling, the swivels are threaded type and take a few seconds longer.

http://www.bigbearhunt.com/SloganOutdoors/products.html

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...review-slogan-outdoors-ultraflex-rifle-sling/

Ok now my life will not be complete till I get one. Thanks!

I think, I have the Slogan and the Specialty Outdoors.
I normally try and avoid have a sling attached to my rifles, unless I have to, to negotiate terrain. These definitely are my favorites as to carrying the rifle on the shoulder.
I wanted to reacquaint myself with shooting with a sling. These seemed like a suitable choice and a good product.

Are the swivels integral to the sling or can they be changed? I prefer flush cups installed on the side.

@Pheroze How did it work for you this season?

@Pheroze How did it work for you this season?
Great! It really is secure with layers of padding and an orange vest. It just stayed in place and I did a lot of walking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg