Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PHASA, DSC, SCI
Good day,

For example, the phrases "what did you KILL today" or "let’s go KILL something"... are often used to refer to or describe the act of hunting and sure, in effect, that is what we are doing when we hunt.

This topic is open to interpretation as it seems to be a cultural manner of speaking and a way of describing what we, as hunters partake in BUT... my question is:

By talking in the way we do, are we not misrepresenting the act of hunting and loosing the respect we should show towards our quarry, and in the process, giving the impression that hunters are just blood thirsty “killers”?

I strongly believe that we as hunters could be more sensitive to the fact by referring to the act as hunting or shooting instead of killing.

Maybe I'm too sensitive - Thoughts?

I agree. I don't go killing I do hunting, shooting or stalking and to be honest I get a little wound up when people ask me what I shot or killed as if it's the only reason I put my gun over my shoulder and called up the dog.

I refer to the activity as opposed to the outcome.

Not every hunt, shoot or stalk results in a kill, a fact that many non hunters don't understand.

The killing of an animal is a minor part of the activity as a whole.

I also take great pains to point out all the things I see while out in the countryside, the birds that landed within feet of me, the wild flowers I saw, the young animals playing in the fields, the deer I saw but did not shoot, the way the dog reacted to a non shootable deer passing by. The things I have seen while they have been sat in front of the television or computer.

Anyone who thinks of hunting as just killing is missing the bigger picture and it is our mission as hunters to educate non hunters in engaging in a sport which is not about a singular outcome.

Specifically regarding big game hunting, and not running over stuff in your truck, etc............Well, you can hunt and not kill anything. It's hard to kill something without hunting for it. Sometimes after hunting for 6-8 days with nothing bagged, it's time to kill something.....make sense?

One thing I've never understood, and still don't, about South African outfitters (and I absolutely mean no offense by it......) How can the words "free range" and "behind high fence" be used in the same description of a property?

Agreed, I don't like the term "killing". Even after a successful hunt if people ask how did you do? I always say I "took" whatever species I was after. For me the term killing in hunting is what we do , but hunting is so much more than that. It's the planning, the anticipation, the hours spent at the range......The dreaming.....

Specifically regarding big game hunting, and not running over stuff in your truck, etc............Well, you can hunt and not kill anything. It's hard to kill something without hunting for it. Sometimes after hunting for 6-8 days with nothing bagged, it's time to kill something.....make sense?

One thing I've never understood, and still don't, about South African outfitters (and I absolutely mean no offense by it......) How can the words "free range" and "behind high fence" be used in the same description of a property?

I understand the act but could we not say take or shoot something instead of "its time to kill something"?

I have never noticed a property being advertised in that way but the only answer I have regarding the high fence scenario is that some species are not easily "contained" and maybe the outfitter is referring to the animal and not the property?.

The property shouldn't be referred to in both ways.

I can see your point about the property but I think it should figure in the discussion.

When people knew I would be hunting Africa their immediate thought was driving through a gated enclosure and firing off rounds from the back of a truck.

It took a while for me to explain that it would not be like that and where I'm hunting is not enclosed or behind a fence and the hunting is carried out on foot on a fair chase basis.

Hopefully I've educated a few people into disbelieving what the media portray hunting is and have made them realise that it's not a matter of turning up, chasing animals in trucks and ending up with a pile of carcasses.

It was quite a revelation to many when they understood it is a genuine hunt and the animals shot are evaluated before a trigger is pulled.

To the layman, hunting in Africa is a free for all and killing is the name of the game.

Unfortunately a few yahoos who post unethical videos on YouTube are setting the standard for the rest of us.

I can see your point about the property but I think it should figure in the discussion.

When people knew I would be hunting Africa their immediate thought was driving through a gated enclosure and firing off rounds from the back of a truck.

It took a while for me to explain that it would not be like that and where I'm hunting is not enclosed or behind a fence and the hunting is carried out on foot on a fair chase basis.

Hopefully I've educated a few people into disbelieving what the media portray hunting is and have made them realise that it's not a matter of turning up, chasing animals in trucks and ending up with a pile of carcasses.

It was quite a revelation to many when they understood it is a genuine hunt and the animals shot are evaluated before a trigger is pulled.

To the layman, hunting in Africa is a free for all and killing is the name of the game.

Unfortunately a few yahoos who post unethical videos on YouTube are setting the standard for the rest of us.

Agreed, there are definitely issues with some operations but hunting on a legitimate fenced concession can be more challenging than a free range hunt IMO.

As you say, education (and tactfulness) is the key.

I have no problem using the word "kill" in connection with hunting. I can't stand it when someone says "I harvested a kudu." You harvest wheat, you kill kudu.

I think even non-hunters get that, and equally, if they think you're embarrassed about what you do, or you sound ashamed of it, they'll quickly decide there must be something to be ashamed of.

Having said that, "let's go kill something" isn't a very respectful way to describe what we do. I'm happy to change that to "let's go hunting", although I'm guilty of saying "let's go see what we can shoot."

About the only time I'll say "let's go kill something" is when I have a couple of tired, worn out hunters sitting around after lunch and they are in need of a little motivational speaking.

I have no problem using the word "kill" in connection with hunting. I can't stand it when someone says "I harvested a kudu." You harvest wheat, you kill kudu.

I think even non-hunters get that, and equally, if they think you're embarrassed about what you do, or you sound ashamed of it, they'll quickly decide there must be something to be ashamed of.

Having said that, "let's go kill something" isn't a very respectful way to describe what we do. I'm happy to change that to "let's go hunting", although I'm guilty of saying "let's go see what we can shoot."

To me "let's go see what we can shoot" is a much better way of describing what we do. Maybe its just the way we talk or what is socially acceptable. As per my heading " a question of interpretation"

Often we are our own worst enemy in the "Public Relations" category.

Often we are our own worst enemy in the "Public Relations" category.
Agree Velo Dog, but which is worse - to say you kill things, or to hum and haw about it?

I actually think when we hum and haw the anti's smell blood (if they know what that is). and the non-hunters think we're ashamed of what we do.

About the only time I'll say "let's go kill something" is when I have a couple of tired, worn out hunters sitting around after lunch and they are in need of a little motivational speaking.

have heard it said in that situation :D. i like what animals have you taken or what did you take today?...........

The mere fact that we as hunters 'kill' animals doesn't mean it should be referred to as such, the act of killing should be reserved for use in connection with murder and not hunting.

Would you make a logo - Killing for a living or Hunting for a living?

Agree Velo Dog, but which is worse - to say you kill things, or to hum and haw about it?

I actually think when we hum and haw the anti's smell blood (if they know what that is). and the non-hunters think we're ashamed of what we do.

When I tell people that I took an animal with such and such a rifle, or I bagged an animal, etc., I'd hardly call that humming and hawing.

Those who know me will promise you that I have never hummed and hawed about anything in my life.

Personally hunting is the pursuit of game on foot. Shooting is done when driven hunting and waiting in a hide or high seat. The same goes for baited animals,I shoot them,no matter how hard it was to get them on the bait.

I do kill,Fox,jackals,lynx and baboons,because I will 100% take a 50/50 shot on any of them. No matter how you suger coat it for the green brigade we will always be killers. Everyone has to decide what he is for himself,I don't fool myself by saying I hunted a Fox,you don't hunt them,you do whatever you can to kill them.

You don't need to kill to have hunted.

Good day,

For example, the phrases "what did you KILL today" or "let’s go KILL something"... are often used to refer to or describe the act of hunting and sure, in effect, that is what we are doing when we hunt.

A flippant or facetious remark is one thing between buddies.
Some of the culture you are referring to in ten words or less on a Bumper Sticker:

Brown_Down_Decal_02__28050_zoom-300x83.jpg

Unknown.png

images.png

If you really want to discuss the idea of hunting, Killing does not bother me it is exactly what we do.

Definition:
"Kill" to cause the death of (a person, animal, or plant) : to end the life of (someone or something)

However:

You don't need to kill to have hunted.

The mere fact that we as hunters 'kill' animals doesn't mean it should be referred to as such, the act of killing should be reserved for use in connection with murder and not hunting.

Would you make a logo - Killing for a living or Hunting for a living?

You do not have to make a bumper sticker but it is part of what we do.
Definition:
"Kill" to cause the death of (a person, animal, or plant) : to end the life of (someone or something)

The folks who object to hunting are going to equate it with murder. It is not.

Murder:
The unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another

Don't create confusion, Murder is a term that is to be used exclusively with killing a human being in the manner described.

I am not very PC and especially around other "hunters".
I will say kill sometimes. We need to kill (animal) ........ or such.
I am too old school to be afraid to say it or back down from it to other PC people. Heck PC people just tick me off anyway.

My Africa PH would say "Let's go find something that wants to die" or "We have a 3:00 appointment with a warthog and it is almost time"

I don't agree at all the "kill" should be reserved to murder. From the dictionary:

kill 1 |kil| verb [ with obj. ]
1 cause the death of (a person, animal, or other living thing)

noun [ usu. in sing. ] an act of killing, especially of one animal by another: a lion has made a kill.• an animal or animals killed, either by a hunter or by another animal: the vulture is able to survey the land and locate a fresh kill.

If someone get offended by the use of "kill" then I would tell them to buy a dictionary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross