A question for zastava owners

Reaction score
Media
Good morning gentleman, I have a couple questions this morning.

- are there any fellow zastava left handed owners about
- if so what did you use for a scope base

I recently purchased a zastava .375 and my gun dealer is having a difficult time locating a base.

Also I've not yet seen the rifle but my dealer informs me the stock has little to no finish is that normal for zastava? What steps if any have you gentleman taken to refinish/seal your stock.

I cant help but will be looking at this thread response.
I see the local dealer has stock of Zastava LH actions and I think a 300 H&H is in my future.
Unless I just buy the 375 for now.

1. I'm not left handed.

2. I can point you toward two Picantinny rail designs I *think* are ambidextrous for one piece scope bases.

One is from EGW. It worked well for having a Sig Sauer Whiskey5 2-10X42mm scope to my 7mm-08 Zastava LK M70 rifle. I purchased the 0 MOA version, a 20 MOA version is also available.

https://www.egwguns.com/scope-mount...g-picatinny-rail-scope-mount-0-moa-commercial

The other is a steel design from Rusan (note a 2 piece design is also available).

https://www.optics-trade.eu/us/mounts/fixed-mounts/bases/shopby/suitable_for_z-zastava_m70.html

3. There are many two piece designs. Look for bases that fit large ring commercial Mauser such as FN, Interarms Mark X, and Remington 798 if you're having trouble finding bases spelling out Zastava LK M70 specifically.

Attachments

• Screenshot (610).png
    Screenshot (610).png
    104.2 KB · Views: 194
  • Screenshot (611).png
    Screenshot (611).png
    69.2 KB · Views: 143
  • Screenshot (612).png
    Screenshot (612).png
    96 KB · Views: 136
  • Screenshot (613).png
    Screenshot (613).png
    117.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Screenshot (614).png
    Screenshot (614).png
    156.4 KB · Views: 152
  • Screenshot (615).png
    Screenshot (615).png
    155.2 KB · Views: 197
Also, regarding stock finish. More recent (post-1990?) Zastava bolt action rifle stocks are poorly finished relative to the Interarms Mark X & Whitworth rifles but still are walnut and some are quite nice after some additional work. I haven't refinished any of my rifle stocks yet.

I use Leupold Quick Release Bases and Rings I find them to be very solid and much simplier than other types

The only ones I have/have had are no newer than mid 70's. The finish was fine on them.

The only one I currently have is an Interarms Mark X. It has a Mauser scope and I believe Mauser bases. It is not left handed. Not sure if this helps but perhaps it will.

I am not sure about one piece bases but I would think the pictured examples in two piece would work depending on the type of rings you wanted to use. Another is a Talley 252709 if you wanted to use Talley rings.
DSC02692.jpg
DSC02695 (1).jpg

I am not sure about one piece bases but I would think the pictured examples in two piece would work depending on the type of rings you wanted to use. Another is a Talley 252709 if you wanted to use Talley rings.View attachment 343235View attachment 343236

Do you by chance know the product number on the leupold mounts , I would think a two piece base should be ambiguous as it doesn't cross the action.

Look at the top right hand corner of the photo, 50056. A two piece base will work with a left or right hand action and you will have much better access to the magazine which is my personal preference.
I would recommend using a proper steel "lapping bar" when you set the rings just in case there is a slight height variation that may require a shim under one of the bases to achieve perfect alignment. It does happen due to the vast amount of different manufactures of "commercial Mauser actions" over the years.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnyOkn64

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois