A question for the Professional Hunters - What makes a person a great client?

VELO DOG hit many of the main points that i would have offered. i have been a guide for 20 years in alaska, but have only been on one guided hunt. that was S Africa.

many clients have hunted africa, they have 10 guys supporting them from cooking, washing clothes, packing, skinning, backup shooting etc. in alaska, you are gonna get ME, thats it!! :)

unrealistic expectations is a real kill joy for a guide. remember, truly large animals are kind of freaks of nature. then, you have to be in the exact spot at the exact time that the freak of nature is out of the bush, or available to spot. then you have to make a successful stalk, then the client needs to shoot well. if any step (and I'm sure I've missed a couple) goes bad, wind changes, etc., the freak of nature gets away.

how does the client deal with that? tape measures do not make great hunts. the epic adventure that a brown bear hunt from a boat, or a safari anywhere in africa or south america, etc is what makes the hunt.

some guys shoot their animal and immediately want to leave camp with a full week of adventures to go!

i have hunted hard, daylight to dark for 10 days and seen 1 shootable bear. (and no opportunity, got dark) how does the client react to disappointment? being in shape is pretty big, because it gives the client more opportunity.

same with practicing with their gun, more opportunity.

as said before, a client needs to listen to the guides advice. thats what you are paying for. if a guide makes a recommendation, listen to it. a hunter had brought a large caliber handgun to bear hunt, as a back up weapon. i advised against carrying it. i explained that his rifle shot 3 times harder than his hand cannon and he should use it, instead of trying to use the handgun.

next day, he had his revolver on. he had a difficult time putting his pack on with the waistband on his pack and his revolver. he ended up putting it in his pack and carried it around in his pack all day, climbing, etc. the revolver stayed on the boat for the rest of the trip. who knew??!!!

my goal when i went to africa was to be the client that got asked to come back. not sure i was successful, but that was my goal.

your guide wants you to get an animal, maybe even more than YOU do. i know most guides are willing to work harder to get that animal than the clients are. that said, it is not the guides fault if you don't find the right animal, he can't just crap a giant moose or kudu out for you to shoot!

be patient, savor the trip. ALL aspects of it. leave the tape at home. then, if you don't shoot a freak of nature, you can be satisfied that your trip was still amazing and time well spent.

Last edited by a moderator:
man,

i suck at this! put my response in a quote from velo dog. dumb ass!

Thanks guys for the advice.
I may have made it sound like I can't get around well. I can for what I do. I hunt hogs 2-3 nights a week. Walking plowed or planted crop fields here in Texas. In the dark with not lights. Just nv goggles and packing a 18 lb AR 15 with thermal. We may walk 100 yards or 800 yards to get on them. Walk the 1/2or3/4 mile all the time during whitetail season from camp to blind with backpack, rifle and bow. But it's all flat land. Was more interested in what geographic areas of Africa that would be more easier for a big guy with bad knee and lower leg(from injury when in 20s). I have been big my whole life. Hovered around 340 since I was 20.
The outfitter that said I probably couldn't have a good time with him was in Eastern Cape. From what you all are saying Limpopo might work. What is area around Kimberly like?
This is a rifle hunt. 8-10 plains game will be budget
Thanks for yalls time.

Last edited:
Hi @Mark Biggerstaff
The terrain in the Limpopo area varies greatly. From flat thorn scrub and areas of cultivation and river bottoms to steep rocky hills and everything in between. There are a number of outfitters in the Thabazimbi area including Numzaan Safaris who will happily accommodate just about any type of hunting you wish to do. As I said previously, I have hunted with Numzaan and am going back to hunt with them again in about 3 weeks. They are an excellent outfit and I highly recommend them. Their US representative in Texas is a fine gentleman by the name of Daniel Bristow and you can email him at dbristow89@gmail.com. There are also plenty of great sponsors here on AH that can provide top notch experiences as well.
You might also consider the Northwest Province as it tends to be relatively flat with nice sandy Kalahari soil and generally easy terrain to navigate. A lot of beautiful country and great hunting there too.
I am sure if you were to post a "Hunt Wanted" in the classifieds section with some specifics of what you would like to hunt, how you would like to hunt and what your limitations might be, you would get plenty of replies from the sponsors here on AH.
You will have the time of your life and be ready to go back before you even get home! (y)

Last edited:
The outfitter that said I probably couldn't have a good time with him was in Eastern Cape. From what you all are saying Limpopo might work. What is area around Kimberly like? ...........

You are referencing huge geographic areas; provinces. Texas is apparently flat enough for you to hunt. Apparently, there is "hill country" in the state. (I've never seen it, so you'll have to tell me.)

Load Google Earth on your PC and go for a tour of Southern Africa.
Namibia has some flatter and rolling country as does South Africa, Botswana and Zambia.

Exaggerate the elevation in the settings and look around the countries and provinces that interest you.
https://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html

Reactions: cls
You may want to consider the Kalahari in North west province too. Very flat terrain, you'll be moving from bush to bush for cover. @AAA Africa Serapa Safaris is located out there, many other sponsors here have access to hunting areas there too

I have been following AH for awhile now. Starting to plan and research my first safari for hopefully 2019, strictly plains game. I am 55 now will be 57 by time my first safari. The more I read about physical condition the more second thoughts I have. I am a Big Guy. 6ft about 350lbs on a good day. No heart problems but have some issues with a leg. I have had correspondence with a few outfitters that I was interested in. One basically said that he thought I could not handle hunting his place. Two others after we had corresponded and I was asked about physical shape have never returned another email. I hunt here at home all the time and know what I can and can't do. But having never been to Africa I have no idea of the terrain and what is expected of me. Can anyone give me any idea of what to expect and a region of Africa to look at?
I think for a RSA PG hunt you can do with mostly short, not too strenuous stalks. You have plenty of time to plan and get yourself in shape so why not give it a try! As with everything just communicate with the outfitter your needs and I'm sure it will work out.
I hope you enjoy planning your first safari.
Regards
Philip

Mark;
All I can say is I lost 30lbs prior to my first safari and did a fair lot (3 miles/day, 4-5 days a week) of walking prior to my first safari in 2014......and Im glad I did.

I also lost about 30 pounds before my last safari - by eating McDonald's three meals per day if you can believe that! I knew I had a lot of walking and I realized I was basically carrying a large bag of dog food with me wherever I went (all that fat) and decided if I wanted to walk 10-20 miles per day, it would be best to put the bag of dog food down first.

Good luck with your safari and I would highly recommend dropping some weight - it just makes your body so much more energetic and I am feeling much better now that I am a bit thinner.

I have been following AH for awhile now. Starting to plan and research my first safari for hopefully 2019, strictly plains game. I am 55 now will be 57 by time my first safari. The more I read about physical condition the more second thoughts I have. I am a Big Guy. 6ft about 350lbs on a good day. No heart problems but have some issues with a leg. I have had correspondence with a few outfitters that I was interested in. One basically said that he thought I could not handle hunting his place. Two others after we had corresponded and I was asked about physical shape have never returned another email. I hunt here at home all the time and know what I can and can't do. But having never been to Africa I have no idea of the terrain and what is expected of me. Can anyone give me any idea of what to expect and a region of Africa to look at?
I find it ridiculous that a PH wouldn't take you as a client or tell you not to come. If you have difficulty or are frustrated trying to find a accommodating outfitter PM me I'd be glad to give you contacts of several legitimate and highly respected outfitters that will go above and beyond to accommodate you and your needs.

Hey @Mark Biggerstaff , Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, out trying to get in shape for my upcoming hunt by walking the hills here in Alberta. I appreciate the question. There are a lot of good responses from the members here. I am sure there are areas in South Africa that would fit the bill for you. My hunt in Limpopo for most of the critters on my list was not that tough mostly on the flat but lots of walking. The Kudu on the other hand was in a mountainous area and a lot of tough climbing for an old guy that that is not that fond of heights. The Eastern Cape on the other hand was much tougher lots of hiking the high country and hours on foot trying to get in close for a shot. I am sure there are lots of outfitters on here that can help you out. The one piece of advise I can give you is from now to your safari start walking and walk a lot! Good luck my friend.

regarding getting in shape,

most of my clients are shocked at the difficult terrain up here in alaska. i am 57 years old and my clients will have some difficulty keeping up if we are in a hurry. part of that is experience, knowing the terrain, part of that is conditioning.

most clients tell me they walked or ran a bit before coming up and still were under prepared. i think a simple fix is to carry a backpack with some weight in it on your walks. it stresses one a bit more and you get the same walk/miles in.

some thoughts.

most of my clients are shocked at the difficult terrain up here in alaska. i am 57 years old and my clients will have some difficulty keeping up if we are in a hurry. part of that is experience, knowing the terrain, part of that is conditioning.

most clients tell me they walked or ran a bit before coming up and still were under prepared. i think a simple fix is to carry a backpack with some weight in it on your walks. it stresses one a bit more and you get the same walk/miles in.

some thoughts.
I once hunted mule deer with a guy who did guided mountain lion hunts.....I asked him what was the best way to get in shape for a mountain lion hunt. He told me....and I quote....."Walk 8-10 flights of stairs while wearing a back pack filled with 50lbs of bricks.....while breathing through a straw":confused::eek:
I also hunted antelope with a guy who was over twice my age and had two cardiac stents put in...........I was embarrassed that I could barely keep up with that guy.:notworthy::oops:

some thoughts.

+1 on wear a pack - huge difference!

In preparation for my Yukon hunt I am walking 1 to 3 hours a day with 55lbs on. The other day I dropped it down to 25lbs for the second part of my walk and man felt like I could fly. When I travel I go up and down the stairs at the hotel...I have found that stairs are the great equalizer. I think the biggest thing is get sore and then get use to doing stuff while sore. Once you learn to work through that, nothing can stop you.

In preparation for my Yukon hunt I am walking 1 to 3 hours a day with 55lbs on. The other day I dropped it down to 25lbs for the second part of my walk and man felt like I could fly.

That kind of reminds me of how I overcame my dislike of using a condom. I started wearing two condoms, every day, all day long. When I would have sex, I would take one off and feel like a wild man.

Nice topic, I will probably post a couple here over the life cycle of this thread. Collecting hunters tomorrow, so the thread should be well on it's way by the time I get back.

#1: I always appreciate it immensely when I can clearly see that a hunter has put their time in on the range. I'm not talking about once or twice, but literally putting 100's of rounds down range during the preceding months, preparing for their safari. Knowing their weapon, it's capabilities and restrictions, handling it with confidence and making above average shots look simple.
Let's not discuss the Blesbok

I thought I was ready when I got to the EC to hunt with @KMG Hunting Safaris. On Day 5 I ran out of gas from all the travel,jet lag and so on.When I got home I reflected this in my report. I honestly felt like I let Marius down. Then as a good PH does he drug it out of me.,., this is a good post

Nice topic(y)
Personally I have few problems with clients, hunt long enough and you will find someone you just dont get along with, nothing personal.
A few tips (free of charge):D
Dont come over gunned and under trained, there is no such thing as too much gun for the game you are hunting, just too much gun for the shooter. Rather bring a good old rifle and caliber you enjoy shooting that is up to the job.
Spend time at the range, not off the bench but practicing from sticks, off hand and field positions. Try and stick to the 3 second rule.

Please do not expect the impossible. I may have the best area and the best quality trophies, but if you want to hunt them it takes effort. Physical fitness and mind set are two most often left behind traits I find in clients. No matter how good I am I cannot get you up the mountain to shoot a Vaalie if there are no roads and you cant walk 50 meters.Often the mind gives up before the body does. There is a direct correlation between your physical and mental abillity and the size of the trophy you may get.
A PH may make a mistake and you may shoot a inferior trophy, it happens, most of us will fix it, given the oppertunity, just be patient if this happens.
If there is a problem with the way we do things, please tell me so I can fix it or explain why I do it that way. It wont help anyone to find out at the end of a safari.
Then probably one of the more contensios points. As a client you may have been to Africa several times and hunted with several PH's, you may have much more experiance than the next guy, but your PH and Outfitter do it for a living. What works for one PH or Outfitter in one area does not work for another in a different area. Like every client, every PH has a diffrent way of doing things. Nothing spoils a hunt a quick as a "know it all" attitude, every PH will appreciate your point of view and input anyway.
If you hunt with a tape measure expect to shoot less and spend more time hunting per species.
Never ever judge your hunting experiance by the size of the trophy, if you do someone else is always going to have a better experiance.

Most importantly, enjoy every moment and dont feel pressured into shooting if you feel uncomfortable about it or its not what you want.

Okay now no one will be hunting with me in future:D:D:ROFLMAO:

(y)(y)
Tokkie... very well said and put!

Things get out of kilter when people think that 'communication' has happened and been understood when it actually hasn't. Be sure to understand and be understood clearly. Don't just listen to reply!
Patience is a virtue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg