A Podcast With Kevin Robertson On Elephant Conservation

Thanks for posting. You beat me to it! All the Robertson interviews are excellent, but these ones seem particularly good.

I'm about halfway through the elephant hunting one now and it's just full of interesting stories and some pretty technical information. I'll probably never hunt elephant but it's interesting to learn.

Like revturbo9967 said, it would be interesting to hear comments from people on here with the relevant experience. The conservation episode should be uncontroversial to this audience (and anyone with functioning brains) but the elephant hunting episode could trigger some calibre wars. E.g., Robertson's critique of the .470 NE as a client rifle for elephant (but he says it's fine for a PH as a stopper, he explains why). And the amusing comment "Double-tap Boddington"!...

Thanks for posting. You beat me to it! All the Robertson interviews are excellent, but these ones seem particularly good.

I'm about halfway through the elephant hunting one now and it's just full of interesting stories and some pretty technical information. I'll probably never hunt elephant but it's interesting to learn.

Like revturbo9967 said, it would be interesting to hear comments from people on here with the relevant experience. The conservation episode should be uncontroversial to this audience (and anyone with functioning brains) but the elephant hunting episode could trigger some calibre wars. E.g., Robertson's critique of the .470 NE as a client rifle for elephant (but he says it's fine for a PH as a stopper, he explains why). And the amusing comment "Double-tap Boddington"!...
I found the comments on the 470 quite interesting. He was recommending the 450 NE for the client (I think that's what he said). Better penetration?

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the comments on the 470 quite interesting. He was recommending the 450 NE for the client (I think that's what he said). Better penetration?
Due to the sectional density. But that’s semi documented. This is where seasoned vets need to chime in.

The same podcast just came out with another Kevin Robertson interview, this one on croc hunting. Also really good.

Listened to the Elephant Conservation one last night, extremely informative.
But his analysis on different calibers and bullets in the Hunting Elephant 101 episode that I'm currently listening too, is even more interesting!

Especially his claim that the .470 is less suitable as a penetrator and more as a stopper, due to lower sectional density, meaning it is more a PH cartridge than a client cartridge, and less suited to (frontal head shot) elephant hunting. Those are some bold claims!

thanks @revturbo9967 for having shared these!

Listened to the Elephant Conservation one last night, extremely informative.
But his analysis on different calibers and bullets in the Hunting Elephant 101 episode that I'm currently listening too, is even more interesting!

Especially his claim that the .470 is less suitable as a penetrator and more as a stopper, due to lower sectional density, meaning it is more a PH cartridge than a client cartridge, and less suited to (frontal head shot) elephant hunting. Those are some bold claims!

thanks @revturbo9967 for having shared these!
Got me thinking about the 450 instead of the 470.

Attachments

• IMG_4555.JPG
    IMG_4555.JPG
    473.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Attachments

• 20220107_123030.jpg
    13.7 MB · Views: 203
Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps the AH ballistics experts can comment more on one of the remarks of Kevin during the Elephant Hunting 101 episode. He mentions that light for caliber bullets tend to need a bit more distance than heavy for caliber bullets, in order to become "stable". Basically in the case of .375H&H 300grains for example, any shot within 10m or so between animal and barrelmouth (from what I recollect), would not allow the round to be turning stable, therefore more risk in keyholing and thus bad penetration.

Perhaps the AH ballistics experts can comment more on one of the remarks of Kevin during the Elephant Hunting 101 episode. He mentions that light for caliber bullets tend to need a bit more distance than heavy for caliber bullets, in order to become "stable". Basically in the case of .375H&H 300grains for example, any shot within 10m or so between animal and barrelmouth (from what I recollect), would not allow the round to be turning stable, therefore more risk in keyholing and thus bad penetration.
There will be many many examples of 300 gr 375 H&H shot at point blank range to finish off buffalo and others. I’ve never seen an issue with penetration with a premium bullet such as Swift or trophy bonded bear claw. I have seen woodleigh and Barnes fragment though due to too high velocity at that range. I’d be more concerned about bullet construction than bullet stability less than 10m, but I can’t comment on solids.

There will be many many examples of 300 gr 375 H&H shot at point blank range to finish off buffalo and others. I’ve never seen an issue with penetration with a premium bullet such as Swift or trophy bonded bear claw. I have seen woodleigh and Barnes fragment though due to too high velocity at that range. I’d be more concerned about bullet construction than bullet stability less than 10m, but I can’t comment on solids.
This Barnes is one we found in my Buff from the finishing shot, directly on the shoulder taken around 10-15 feet. We never found the first shot, and the rest were solids which exited, but its safe to say the Barnes can do the job, even up close.
74.jpg

I suspect that's why Woodleigh produce Heavy Duty 300, and 350 grain bullets for the 375 H&H ...

I suspect that's why Woodleigh produce Heavy Duty 300, and 350 grain bullets for the 375 H&H ...
I was shooting 300 gr protected points which are supposed to have the highest velocity rating. That was 2021 when it was difficult to get ammo. I able get some trophy bonded bear claws and woodleighs to take 60 total on that trip. My PH told me from start not to use the woodleighs on buffalo if I had the trophy bonded bear claws. The woodleighs are very soft and that’s what I saw using them on plains game. He said they do very well in bigger slower calibers. 350 gr pushed slower in 375 H&H I’m sure does well, but I’d rather use a 300 gr swift or TBBC with a better trajectory so more versatile. I’m sure the woodleighs would have killed the buffalo too, but just better options are available in my opinion.

I was shooting 300 gr protected points which are supposed to have the highest velocity rating. That was 2021 when it was difficult to get ammo. I able get some trophy bonded bear claws and woodleighs to take 60 total on that trip. My PH told me from start not to use the woodleighs on buffalo if I had the trophy bonded bear claws. The woodleighs are very soft and that’s what I saw using them on plains game. He said they do very well in bigger slower calibers. 350 gr pushed slower in 375 H&H I’m sure does well, but I’d rather use a 300 gr swift or TBBC with a better trajectory so more versatile. I’m sure the woodleighs would have killed the buffalo too, but just better options are available in my opinion.
Yup, we're lucky now, compared to back in the past. HUGE choice of bullets available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShellieWei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!