Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I received the Buck Selkirk from my sister as a birthday gift.

It felt very good in my hand but it played the role of the understudy. My main camp knife was a Grohmann. I was happy with the Grohmann for all sorts of reasons: it was Canadian made, had a antler handle and was a very good performer. Alas, due to a sheath experiment go awry that knife has been lost! Time for the understudy to take the stage.

I was honestly not expecting much. First of all, it is made in China. Not my choice for consumer products due to an allergy I have to oppressive regimes that utilize slaves. Also, I will admit to a snobbery against Bucks generally.

I have put the Selkirk through its paces. I had to batton a large amount of wood at camp. I have cleared shooting lanes and generally abused it.

I am impressed. Despite the abuse, the blade still looks new. It has kept a fine edge. It acts like a mini machete on small branches and it is very comfortable. It feels very solid and dependable.

It is honestly a way better knife than I expected. That makes me happy as it was a gift and I feel it will give me a long time of dependable service. I may get the bolsters changed at some point. But, I have no pressing need to. Also, I doubt the knife will get lost with this sheath. It locks in to an injection molded plastic sheath. Not my thing generally, but I find myself enjoying the dependability of it. It may just be the Toyota Corolla of camp knives.

Anyways, that's my real world review of the Buck Selkirk.
20201202_224209.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 10.22.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 10.22.22 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 10.22.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 10.22.24 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 121
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 10.22.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 10.22.26 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 119
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 10.22.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 10.22.28 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 124
Ok, there was something about this knife that was bothering me. The trouble is I really think it is a good design. And the metal withstands the batoning but also sharpened right up. To exorcise the demons in my head about this issue I sent the following to Buck Knives:

To whom it may concern,

I received a Selkirk knife as a gift from my sister this year. I think it is a fantastic knife and it means a lot to me. The knife has kept up very well with camp life. I applaud you for a great design.

The issue I have is with your decision to manufacture it in China. As someone who values individual freedoms, and truly believes in the strength of a democratic society, I am deeply troubled by the "china" stamp on the blade. I tried to look up where in China it is made because of their mistreatment of the Uyghurs. If this knife was manufactured using their coerced labour I will throw it out despite its emotional value. Can you tell me where in China it is made?

If there is a Selkirk made in any country with a democratic system, please let me know. I will gladly buy a new one to replace this one. Until then, I will probably grind out the China stamp. I do not want to be reminded of how western greed supports a despotic regime while I am enjoying camp life. To think that if South Africa in the 1980s had figured out the West can be controlled with cheap goods, they would still have apartheid there.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my concerns.

Eager to know if you do get a response from them.

Ah, the almighty dollar! I will not hold my breath with you awaiting a response. As long as people flock to Walmart to buy cheap goods China will not lose any of their lucrative contracts with these companies that utilize their forced labor. No matter how hard you try not to buy anything made there it is difficult.
image.jpg

These are Buck Knives that are USA made from their custom shop but they aren’t had at import prices. Here lately when asked my advice on a good blade(which admittedly is not often) I direct them to @Von Gruff website. The only forced labor there is Garry forcing himself to fill orders and not out hunting.
Cheers,
Cody

To paraphrase the saying about life and guns:

Life's too short to use an ugly (made in china) knife. (particularly when there are presently made such great knives that show pride of manufacture and allow pride of ownership. Need I name names?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarrettAlfred

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross