A New To Me Rifle

Aaron.F

Silver supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Well I may have made a mistake, I bought a new to me Ruger No 1 in 375 H&H and I really like it. I have not had the opportunity to shoot it yet but I am looking forward to it. It has fancy engraved rings on it and came with a Leupold VX III 1.75-6. I am thinking of switching the scope out to a Leupold VX 3i 2.5- 8, but I will see. I am also going to upgrade the recoil pad, as the existing is not very good. I have been looking for a while and I think I got it at a good price. I have a feeling this might be the start of something I cannot afford.

ABACB65C-DD08-4784-8A02-DA67F1D341EE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well congrats! The .375 is considered around here to be a gateway drug to "bigger" and "bigger" guns. It is a quite useful caliber and you will have a lot of friends in the Ruger #1 crowd here. I think the scope you already have is probably adequate but the replacement would be good too.

Ruger's have thin pads, that being a red pad makes it an earlier model rifle. A better pad is not a bad idea as No.1's much over .30-06 kick pretty good. That will get your attention.
Nice wood!

Congrats and two cautions. A better pad may be a longer pad. Make darned sure the scope eye relief will tolerate a longer pad. Second, that is about a perfect scope on it. 6x and 8x are no different as both are adequate at all long 375hh distances, however 1x is far more useful than 2.5x if you’re in thick Jess trying to kill something up close. I wouldn’t trade your scope for a 2.5-8x under any circumstances.

congrats again. Very nice gun for safari.

You screwed up in a good way. Get a Legendary Arms Works safety and you're all set! I love my .375 #1! That's a pretty stock. What's the other side look like?

Last edited:
Congrats on the new addition!

That is a nice rifle! Soon however you will start experiencing urges for larger stronger calibers. You might need to head over to the big bore addiction group so that you can address your budding problem.:E Rofl:

Last edited:
AaronF, paraphrasing what you said, "this may be the start of something good." Truer words were never spoken. But in the meantime you have a "solid" hunting rifle. Keep the scope you have for now. Because of the wide range of ammo available for the 375 H&H and the possible distances it is capable of, some of us have two scopes set up on QD rings to take full advantage of that caliber. Don't be afraid to spend a few bucks on a good recoil pad, but make sure that the LOP you wind up with "fits" you. BTW congrats on the new rifle.

Hi AaronF, a good purchase, I have the same rifle, but with a Leica Magnus 1-6.3. That is a perfect scope for a 375, I agree with the others, stick with it. The Ruger No1 is very versatile and easy to carry. Of course there is a bit of recoil, but honestly it isn't bad, even with the original pad. I wouldn't change that either. My No1 has taken eland (first owner), buffalo, zebra, impala, warthog and sable. Shoot it accurately at modest ranges and it can do it all. I hope you enjoy a long relationship with that rifle and bring it to Africa, you wont go wrong.

I would like to see Ruger offer a run in .375 flanged with 25” barrels. I would jump on that one!

Congratz on your new rifle, you will have many hours of enjoyment shooting and hunting with it. a new pad will be a very good upgrade from the factory one. Make sure you practice on a quick reload, as the muscle memory develops you will be surprised at just how fast you can get three rounds of accurate fire off with a #1.

@rookhawk You would have to set the barrel back as the belt on the H&H is thicker than the rim thickness on the Flanged. It you set the barrel back and did some extractor work it would make for a slick rifle

You screwed up in a good way. Get a Legendary Arms Works safety and you're all set! I love my .375 #1! That's a pretty stock. What's the other side look like?

Please excuse my naivety, what does a Legendary Arms Work Safety offer over the existing safety?

As far as the scope, I would be keeping it if it had the heavy duplex, but unfortunately it does not. Thus I am going to remove it and recoup some of my costs, as I know there is more value in it than my existing 2.5-8.

This rifle will most likely never see dangerous game, if I were to hunt dangerous game it would be with a bolt action. I currently have a Ruger African in 375 Ruger, but am trying to sell it just to get something different now that I own this rifle. I have been strongly considering a 400 Whelen.

Do you guys know what brand of rings these are?

Attachments

• 7077016F-B57A-4650-91AA-E74E53633676.jpeg
    7077016F-B57A-4650-91AA-E74E53633676.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 152
Congrats on a beautiful rifle. Ruger No.1s are addicting. Let us know how she shoots.

Please excuse my naivety, what does a Legendary Arms Work Safety offer over the existing safety?

As far as the scope, I would be keeping it if it had the heavy duplex, but unfortunately it does not. Thus I am going to remove it and recoup some of my costs, as I know there is more value in it than my existing 2.5-8.

This rifle will most likely never see dangerous game, if I were to hunt dangerous game it would be with a bolt action. I currently have a Ruger African in 375 Ruger, but am trying to sell it just to get something different now that I own this rifle. I have been strongly considering a 400 Whelen.

The original safety is textured and tall. What can happen during ejection is that a belt or rim of a large caliber (375 and up are good examples) you can end up with it getting stuck. The change out of the safety is very simple and its an inexpensive upgrade. It ensures that the cartridge will eject past the safety during ejection. Highly, highly recommend.

Well I may have made a mistake, I bought a new to me Ruger No 1 in 375 H&H and I really like it. I have not had the opportunity to shoot it yet but I am looking forward to it. It has fancy engraved rings on it and came with a Leupold VX III 1.75-6. I am thinking of switching the scope out to a Leupold VX 3i 2.5- 8, but I will see. I am also going to upgrade the recoil pad, as the existing is not very good. I have been looking for a while and I think I got it at a good price. I have a feeling this might be the start of something I cannot afford.

View attachment 374588
Very good choice. Congrats.

Congratulations on the #1. Great rifles. Keep the 1.75-6x scope. I have one on my .375 and it makes a great combination.

Just have the reticle changed on the existing scope. Also, I'm not sure if 1.75 vs. 2.5 makes a big enough difference on the low side of magnification though. 1x yes but 1.75?

If you are just using it for general hunting and not DG, I do think a 8x scope would be helpful dialing in at 100 yards at the range. Depends how picky you are with groups and zeros.

Beings you have a scope already, um not sure i would incur the extra expense and trouble though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg