Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI, NFAA
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, UAE, California
Hey guys. I have decided that I will be having my hunts professionally filmed. I am now considering just having the hunts all edited for broadcast either on TV or the Internet. I was wondering what would interest you in a new hunting show that might set it apart from the pack.

My goals: bow hunting all the dangerous game in Africa (and plains game along the way), with either one of the dangerous 7 or other prestigious animal (Bongo, Mtn Nyala, LDE, etc) as a main animal for the episode and some other plains game to fill up the time.

I also wanted to make it a point to show the positive effects the hunt has on the local villagers, with them receiving meat from the animals, getting paid as guides, trackers, etc. I would like each episode to leave the viewer with the understanding that the animals hunted did more than just decorate my wall, but improved the lives of many people in poorer parts of the world.

What do you think are missing from hunting shows or are in some shows that are really good for TV and for hunting in general?

I plan on having my first episode be in Zimbabwe on an elephant hunt with Nyamazana Safaris. Unfortunately, unless I get a miracle of a reversal with the Zim parks department, I am not going to be able to use my bow on the elephant and will have to use a rifle. Other than that, I think I will have a great opportunity to get a wonderful pilot episode filmed. If it gets picked up, awesome. If not, I will have an hour long video to watch from time to time.

First if you're doing this primarily to have some fun with a new project and to promote hunting with any income potential not part of the plan, I wish you very well. If it is also a new business venture, I still wish you well, but also the best of luck. You're entering a very crowded market space.

Secondly, you do have a niche there by trying to do this all with a bow, so you should be somewhat original and therefore draw an audience. I think however the problem with hunting shows today is there is a split purpose of entertainment for hunters versus promoting the message of conservation to non-hunters. You don't need to promote conservation us hunters, that's just preaching to the choir. But non-hunters who may feel that emotional attachment to a wounded animal may focus solely on the wounding of the animal and the message of conservation is lost.

The old saying that a slave cannot serve two masters comes to mind. By that I mean I'm not sure you can have an entertaining show to hunters and the conservation message to non-hunters and be effective at both.

The one thing that I know in particular that has been stressed is the income to the local communities that comes from hunting. While it has been stressed, from my viewpoint it hasn't been very well proven on the shows. The anti's, non-hunters and even some hunters just scoff at the suggestion that these communities see any real income. That most of the money spent by hunters is absorbed by the outfitter and/or corrupt government officials with no significant improvement of the lives of the local communities.

So how do you do a good job of proving it? I don't have the answer off the top of my head, but perhaps that can stir some good conversation.

How about a Dangerous game hunt in SA. You can hunt a charging foaming at the mouth Jacob Zuma. :). Bet it will be the most watched TV in SA

Hmmm, I think it would be unique if you only waited for the DG to charge before firing your bow ala Mark Sullivan.

Might only be one episode though. (-:

Seriously though, I also like it when there is discussion on gear, travel, game cleaning, food prep, cooking game, local curiosities etc. much better than two sweaty men whispering to each other for 25 minutes then a shot, then handshakes and some dancing/singing.
Sounds like a fun project, good luck.

Cool idea.

I think the best hunting show on TV right now is Uncharted by Jim Shockey (his son, Branlin, does all the filming. editing/producing, etc). The show is very cinematic and focuses a bunch on the local cultures, the challenge of the pursuit, etc. The kill shot, that so many shows over-emphasize, is only one small part in the complete story.

A show in that vein, that tells the whole story, is what will appeal to both hunters and non-hunters.

Cool idea.

I think the best hunting show on TV right now is Uncharted by Jim Shockey (his son, Branlin, does all the filming. editing/producing, etc). The show is very cinematic and focuses a bunch on the local cultures, the challenge of the pursuit, etc. The kill shot, that so many shows over-emphasize, is only one small part in the complete story.

A show in that vein, that tells the whole story, is what will appeal to both hunters and non-hunters.
Agreed, Shockey's show is far better than any of the other shows that I have access to. Many of the others are just plain goofy!

I like it so far. I get really tired of the 30 minute commercial that most have.

Agree!!!
The host says, " I have my ___ brand binoculars, ___brand scope, ____brand camo,___brand boots. Then he goes on to show the latest hunting trinket that has no value when hunting but looks cool. Two minutes later there is a commercial for each product the host just mentioned. I quit watching hunting shows 5 years ago because of this. I understand they need product backing to pay for the show, that's what commercials are for, not the hosts time.

Hey guys. I have decided that I will be having my hunts professionally filmed. I am now considering just having the hunts all edited for broadcast either on TV or the Internet. I was wondering what would interest you in a new hunting show that might set it apart from the pack.

My goals: bow hunting all the dangerous game in Africa (and plains game along the way), with either one of the dangerous 7 or other prestigious animal (Bongo, Mtn Nyala, LDE, etc) as a main animal for the episode and some other plains game to fill up the time.

I also wanted to make it a point to show the positive effects the hunt has on the local villagers, with them receiving meat from the animals, getting paid as guides, trackers, etc. I would like each episode to leave the viewer with the understanding that the animals hunted did more than just decorate my wall, but improved the lives of many people in poorer parts of the world.

What do you think are missing from hunting shows or are in some shows that are really good for TV and for hunting in general?

I plan on having my first episode be in Zimbabwe on an elephant hunt with Nyamazana Safaris. Unfortunately, unless I get a miracle of a reversal with the Zim parks department, I am not going to be able to use my bow on the elephant and will have to use a rifle. Other than that, I think I will have a great opportunity to get a wonderful pilot episode filmed. If it gets picked up, awesome. If not, I will have an hour long video to watch from time to time.
Most hunting shows don't show proper respect to the PH and his skills. Some US hunter that is supposedly famous for some reason talks and talks like he is some expert on Africa and never lets the PH speak. Now I know not everyone can speak well on camera but showing the expertise of PH and trackers is a big part of the story.
You want to convey real adventure and capturing that is an art form. Showing yourself struggling along the way and not always trying to be a hero adds to the realism. We all slip, trip, and generally struggle at times or it's just not much of a hunt.
Yes feed the locals just don't dedicate too much time to it.
Don't be afraid to show the animal going down, blood etc just tastefully of course. This is hunting!
Best of luck doing something we all want to do but is very very hard!
Philip

My understanding of the outdoor television industry is not that you will get "picked up" and offered money for a show. You need to find sponsors and pay to have your show aired. There may be exceptions for the likes of Shockey, Tiffany and the big names but for the man off the street there isn't any money in it unless you go out and raise it through sponsorships.

As far as sending a message I honestly don't see a hunting show reaching many non hunters. They just aren't going to watch a hunting show. Why would they, they have no interest. You won't see me watching any quilting shows or cooking shows.

Those non hunters that might see it would likely be watching in a hunters household and already understand or at least tolerate hunting.

I say forget the television and just enjoy your hunts and film for yourself to replay the memories.

Yup, show the blood, the hits, the critter going down and the performance of the projectile.
And the gutting and skinning.
I do like to hear what the brand of equipment is, rifle caliber, bullet brand, type and weight.

Thanks, we need more hunting and shooting shows.

I hate shows that take a commercial break and when they return they start and show several minutes of footage of what you have already seen be fore the break. It's like they are trying to stretch 10 minutes of footage into a half hour show.

Sir I wish you well in this endeavor! Getting everything one film would be different from many if the other shows.

I hate shows that take a commercial break and when they return they start and show several minutes of footage of what you have already seen be fore the break. It's like they are trying to stretch 10 minutes of footage into a half hour show.

I hate that too, but had it explained to me by one of the tv show guys. Apparently it's demanded by the host channel. They want the recap for those turning in late.

First off, I would like for the hunter to at least say what caliber and bullet weight he's using. And as far as PH's getting a word or two in, I find that "Tracks Across Africa" does a very good job with that. Good luck with your endeavor, hope to be watching it some day.

I find hunting shows do not program the uncertainty of hunting, and that is what gives ethical hunting it's edge. Could you do one hunt over several shows, like cliff hanger type breaks when the animal is spooked, or the winds are bad etc? I agree gear is fun, so is background knowledge to the hunt and local cultures.

Good luck.

Good suggestions here. There was a hunting show on Netflix recently where there was seldom any care paid to the direction of muzzles. I thought it displayed hunting poorly. I would never hunt with those folks! Just saying, watch the safety details, please.

I am always looking to follow safety rules and even if I missed something, I sure wouldn't put it on camera unless it was addressed. I don't want to be spreading unsafe practices. As for caliber and bullet weight, we won't have that much as it will be a bow hunting show, but I will be going over arrow composition for the hunt and the reasons for the choices. As for pushing Brand X, if they want that, they can get it from a Facebook page or web site. I don't want to film a 60 minute infomercial.

Outdoor TV is all paid. You pay for your slot and then hope that you can sell ad space and gain sponsors that can cover the cost. The real benefit to a hunting show is the ability to gain credibility in the eyes of the hunting community and become an agent where you earn commissions on every hunt you sell.

I personally have always felt that a show produced around a large game ranching operation in S.A. would draw. But brickburn I believe said it best previously. You can't serve two masters. Discovery tried with hunting Kodiak island and it was cancelled after one season. I loved it but obviously advertisers didn't feel the same about the size of the viewership.

Good luck. I'll watch.

Tom Miranda does a pretty good job with his bowhunting shows, including some DG hunts. I find that probably 75% of the hunting shows today are really unwatchable, and that includes dolts like Waddell, Tbone, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!