A little help from the military historians please

Hunt anything

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Can anyone identify this bayonet, not many markings on it and the ones present are fairly well worn, thanks.
1E9EA43E-F115-4FBE-BADB-958409B77154.jpeg
B7B39A74-345F-42CA-87AD-4F1136374ACE.jpeg
A2AE943A-0555-4858-ABE9-319A76399FE4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
If the marks on the handle indicate opponents killed with bayonet, the owner must have been a very tough character!

The bayonet I have has a canvas sheath, the one Ontario Hunter posted looks like it but not the sheath. My grandfather may have had the sheath made I don’t know. I feel like it is German because there was a German POW camp close to the town of Waynesboro Virginia that my father grew up in. They may have gotten it off of a guard or something.

The bayonet I have has a canvas sheath, the one Ontario Hunter posted looks like it but not the sheath. My grandfather may have had the sheath made I don’t know. I feel like it is German because there was a German POW camp close to the town of Waynesboro Virginia that my father grew up in. They may have gotten it off of a guard or something.
Eventually as the war progressed material shortages, particularly metal, dictated that the German war dept cut corners. Switching to canvas sheath would make sense. I would say it would be HIGHLY unlikely a POW could smuggle a weapon like that across Europe and the Atlantic without it being detected.

Edit: It's also possible your bayonet sheath is only sheathed in canvas and the one in the photo simply had its canvas stripped away, either by the soldier or the elements or time.

Early 98 bayonets had leather scabbards. They broke or rotted away easily. Very well could be a handmade (possibly theater made) replacement scabbard. Looks well worn, so that would make sense.

I was able to find a few more bits of information on the bayonet. Manufacturer was E&F Horster in Solingen, probably in the late 30s or as late as 1944. Also found some other markings. 125. R. 5.251. These numbers are on the finger guard. I found the manufacturer info on the internet so it has to be right (lol)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross