Macs B

AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
I swear there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for these questions, it isn't just a fishing expedition.

Q: Is it feasible for a single client and his family to book a full season of hunting with a single safari outfitter or agency?

Q: Are there Outfitters/Agencies/PHs that have the land and game to be able to provide for a single party for an entire season who wishes to take it all, Big 5, plains game, crocs, hippo, tiny antelope you name it.

Q: How far in advance would such an endeavor have to be coordinated?

Q: Are there legal limits with regard to time spent in Africa, total number of animals taken, or any other constraints?

I understand that in the old days this was common but obviously it isn’t the case anymore. Modern hunts are measured in days not months. What country would be the best candidate for such an adventure? Is there anyone out there who is particularly capable of providing a service like that described?
Have fun, and thanks in advance. I only wish I was making the inquiry on my own behalf!

Yes it's feasible but it would be VERY expensive and depending on the species you wanted to take would entail at least some changes of country/area and possibly a lot of changes. - That in turn means there isn't a single 'best country'. At the very least, you'd need RSA or Namibia for the Rhino and somewhere like Tanzania for most of the other species..... that would give you all of the Big 5 plus a fair number of other species.

Just for those two countries, you'd need a bare minimum of something in the region of 30+ days. Cost would depend on where you went and who you went with.

Yes there are companies that could do it. We could as (I'm fairly sure) could our host Jerome plus several more here at least. - My advice if contemplating such a safari would be not to make price your most important criteria.

Assuming you don't want any of the unusual species such as mountain nyala, you'd be sensible to book about a year in advance if possible.

Legal limits on visa time etc wouldn't be a problem and you'd be restricted to what you take by licences, quota and budget etc but a good safari company would take care of all that so you'd have no worries in that regard.

If you truly want all of the Big 5, I'd recommend your friend doesn't waste any time in booking because I'll bet that they'll be an attempt to get Rhino taken off of the list at the next CITES meeting because of the recent increase in poaching.

I don't think you'd need to book a full season to do it but if you did, the prices would skyrocket...... be a helluva enjoyable and relaxed safari with that time to play with though! :)

PM sent !

Macs B,

I sent you a message but another thing to consider might be to buy the whole quota for an area. You didn't say how many shooters might be in the group but perhaps this might be an alternative. You could pick an area that offered most of what you needed and just move in. You'd still be able switch areas for a few days to take the other species you wanted.

I really think though to do what you propose it would be the most fun to hunt 2-3 countries over 2-3 months. When you contemplate a safari of this magnitude one's mind just goes wild. I personally have spent 5 weeks in the bush at one time and to think of a whole month or more on top of that is incredilby exciting.

Let me know if I can provide anything. This would be almost too much fun to organize.

Macs B.

All responses should be helpful so far.

Besides the big 5 what other game would you be high on your priority list.

Now of the big 5 is a representative a good fit or do you want larger trophy sizes?
Cape buffalo is a 40" acceptable or are you looking for 45" or larger?
Elephant is a 35 lb one acceptable or are you looking for a 90lb or larger?
W. Rhino o is a 20' acceptable or are you looking for a 35' or larger?
Cats are another story in and of itself.

Large crock are another story would you be acceptable with a 10' or are you looking for 17'?

When you ask these questions for each species that will help you locate an outfitter who will work you in different countries and take your team with you, for you dream safari.

The questions you ask are very good, however there are questions behind the questions.

From my reading on Old Safari is that they usually covered more than one country.

There are company's in Tanzania that would be able to help you obtain 4 of the big 5 in their country. That would be a good start. however the RSA will give them a good run for the money.

James raises some very good points, esp his last one about RSA.

The difference between somewhere like Tanzania and RSA is that in Tanzania, you'd be hunting in a true wilderness area whereas in RSA you won't.

Largely a matter of preference but one you need to be aware of.

Thanks everyone for your comments and PMs. As I stated above there really was a legitimate reason for this inquiry.

A good friend of mine from school recently had the great fortune to hit a lottery. He and his wife will take two of five shares won by a office group. The amount of the prize works out in the tens of millions for the two of them so they are now financially set for the next century. Having always been a frugal school teacher the possibility of an African Safari was never within their reach. Now that they have won the jackpot they are going to act on the advice of people who know and disappear for the better part of a year. This apparently allows the crazies to move on to new prey and allows you enough time to establish banking and money management without the problems of family members and others trying to help.

As part of his disappearing act he intends to travel the world, and during this time he wants to hunt Africa, and I do think he intends to hunt all of Africa. At his request I made the inquiry in this post and forwarded all of your recommendations off to him as well as your AH contacts. With any luck one of you might get the booking. I only wish we were close enough that I could shame him into taking me along as a porter!

Please don’t forward any more contact info or any other requests to me; frankly it would be a waste of time as I will not be in contact with the family again. It sure is reassuring to know that sometimes the good guys do win, and they win big.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you