Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
There is nothing that evokes the Christmas spirit quite like a lavishly set table with crackers and decorations, ready to receive an assortment of hearty game delicacies.
Here is our menu for this year:
Starter 1: asparagus with hollondaise sauce and ribbons of smoked trout.
Starter 2: pickled Kariba bream fillets.
Starter 3: thin sliced breast of smoked francolin with rosella jelly sauce.
Main: roast leg of milk soaked bushpig, swimming in gravy with creamed mashed parsnip and potato.
Turkey and gammon ham to accompany the pig.
Dessert: rich trifle with sherry and cream.
Finally relax by the fire with Scotch, sherry, cigars and chocolates.

This is a sit down affair that is spread over a few hours with a bit of lounging around between courses to appreciate it all.
So what will be your game this Christmas?

I’ll be preparing roedeer (young buck I shot this Saturday) in a wine or dark-beerstew for the family, together with gratin dauphinois and winter vegetables.

Haven’t given the starters a lot of thought yet.

There is nothing that evokes the Christmas spirit quite like a lavishly set table with crackers and decorations, ready to receive an assortment of hearty game delicacies.
Main: roast leg of milk soaked bushpig, swimming in gravy with creamed mashed parsnip and potato.

This is a sit down affair that is spread over a few hours with a bit of lounging around between courses to appreciate it all.
so what time should we arrive??

send me a location

Haven't quite got to the menu stage but whatever it is it HAS to contain Yorkshire pudding and crispy roast potatoes with lashings of gravy!
Get hourself to the Old Rose pub down near Rivonia crossing, they do a beef and pork roast every sunday, crackling and Yorkshire pud. The best in Jhb.

I'll definitely make a note of that Kevin. (y) (y)

Simply awesome! Merry Christmas Kevin to you and your family!

I’ll be preparing roedeer (young buck I shot this Saturday) in a wine or dark-beerstew for the family, together with gratin dauphinois and winter vegetables.

Haven’t given the starters a lot of thought yet.

And of course drinks wise it’ll be the best beer in the world: Westvleteren Triple , I got my hands on two cases luckily.

And quite a few Rhum Ti-Punch (40-50% rhum with cane sugar and lime juice) :D

Oh yeah and red whine for the dinner and Rhum vieux as a degustif :D

That still seems WAY far out. I am working at seeing my daughters get home safely first and we keep getting pounded with snow; who knows how many more times I'll still need to plow in the coming weeks. I will offer up this: it'll likely involve moose (to offer up the Alaskan perspective) ham (just because I like ham), a lot of gravy (one of my few honest talents), and homemade in the oven macaroni and cheese.

As always, fun post Kevin.

What time should I arrive?

That still seems WAY far out. I am working at seeing my daughters get home safely first and we keep getting pounded with snow; who knows how many more times I'll still need to plow in the coming weeks. I will offer up this: it'll likely involve moose (to offer up the Alaskan perspective) ham (just because I like ham), a lot of gravy (one of my few honest talents), and homemade in the oven macaroni and cheese.

As always, fun post Kevin.
Ham is so good, I boil mine in a 50/50 mix of water and ginger ale with an onion, a carrot and a celery stalk. And for the glaze tons of honey. You know you have cracked the ham when it is moist and juicy in the middle. Hmmmmm..

Sounds fabulous Kevin.

Normally we have beef or venison Wellington with truffle/shiitake duxelles, but with beef prices/scarcity, and my failed deer season, we will likely be having duck this holiday season. Although, I may try to get out for some last minute rabbit hunting.

We haven’t quite figured the full menu out yet. I’ll see if I can sneak some pictures to post when we do.

Sounds fabulous Kevin.

Normally we have beef or venison Wellington with truffle/shiitake duxelles, but with beef prices/scarcity, and my failed deer season, we will likely be having duck this holiday season. Although, I may try to get out for some last minute rabbit hunting.

We haven’t quite figured the full menu out yet. I’ll see if I can sneak some pictures to post when we do.
Yes please do BT, we must all post pics of our tables and fare.

Haven't quite got to the menu stage but whatever it is it HAS to contain Yorkshire pudding and crispy roast potatoes with lashings of gravy!
My Mum makes good Yorkshire pudding and roast beef on Christmas eve! Love that stuff.

Dinner will be at my in-laws. Prime rib is on their menu with a bunch of the usual sides. I'm going to make antelope sausage and then turn them into armadillo eggs for an appetizer. Hopefully they come out good!

Dinner will be at my in-laws. Prime rib is on their menu with a bunch of the usual sides. I'm going to make antelope sausage and then turn them into armadillo eggs for an appetizer. Hopefully they come out good!
What time should I be there? Haha!

Pray tell, what is an armadillo egg?

I will make the antelope sausage with my own recipe. LOTS of fat, ground speed goat, hot peppers and herbs from the garden. (which I've grown myself and dried )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElvisHertz

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!