Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Presuming you had a day free in Johannesburg and wanted to do something different and interesting, here is an itinerary that may suit: we are talking a whole day and an evening.

After checking into a hotel near the airport and depositing your guns, take an uber to the first stop being Melville and Moon in Kramerville, a 20 minute ride from ORT. This is where @rookhawk 's campaign furniture came from and Patricia will make you an excellent coffee whilst you admire all the old sepia photographs of the bye-gone era that their range is modelled upon. A great place to pick up some top quality canvas and leather bags, cartridge cases, and of course a pith helmet!
D8C868D5-F368-4058-9518-6028110FC9F9.jpeg

Pop right next door to Amatuli, an emporium of African art and sculptures, rugs, and curios from all over the continent. It is all housed in an old tin-roofed factory from the time that Kramerville was an industrial site a hundred years ago. Around the back is an antique collection, like a mini museum cum bar from the old Palace Theatre.

Out front and adjoining Amatuli is Razor Charlie's pub restaurant, a sort of Cuban-Mexican infusion, and our stop for lunch. They do great tacos and a very good margatita, and always some Latino music in the background. In winter they have a fire burning and that hearth-side table is worth waiting for.
19D6F860-45DA-4BE6-A108-D7A751E1896C.jpeg

Next up is another 20 minute uber ride to Safari and Outdoor, Johannesburg's largest gun store. What is special here is the ambiance of the place, lots of good animal mounts to set the tone. You will find all sorts here, the imported stuff is obviously common to everywhere and probably a lesser selection than back home, but you will also find South African products like hats and clothing. They also carry a fair selection of Courteney boots. The tent display has since disappeared, but it was iconic and may well come back.
456ED192-CD02-4D05-A455-93EA3F0F0924.jpeg

En route to dinner, and probably 15 minutes by uber is a treat for the lady accompanying you, Ardmore in Hyde Park. Ardmore do quirky African fabrics and ceramics, each piece hand made and signed, and therefore pricey. You can get little things too like place mats, cushion covers, etc.
2A94A49E-3540-4724-8A22-9B0CAEDB1687.jpeg

Finally we head into the heart of the city to the old historic Rand Club from Johannesburg's grand age of the turn of the last century. Beautiful paintings and decor set the mood for cocktails followed by a fine dinner. You will need to be smartly attired, jacket and tie stuff. Since the club also offers good accommodation you may choose to spend the night rather than navigate all the way back to the airport hotel.
2A94A49E-3540-4724-8A22-9B0CAEDB1687.jpeg

I hope you enjoyed the tour, better than sitting in a hotel fighting jet lag!

Sounds like a great day trip!
I'm considering adding a day to my trip in July and this may well be how I spend it.

This is great! I always leave feeling like I haven't seen enough. This will be my guide next time through. My wife would love the Cheetah teapot!

Sorry, the last picture should have been this one.
View attachment 525128
I love this photo. I look at these a lot. Such a great memory.

Thanks so much @Kevin Peacocke this sounds wonderful. I will keep it in mind if I get stuck there.

40 minutes from Joburg and we could have a braai at my home, just saying if you get hungry for meat on open fire.

Kevin, great initnerary and sightseeing.

We are just outside Joberg now. Yesterday we followed Kevin's advice and hit the Safari store where I bought a new hat. Then Melville and Moon, Amatulis, then the Cuban Restaurant. All were very good suggestions. Thanks much!
We added to the list this morning with a hot air balloon flight. In just moments, we are headed a few doors down for massages my wife booked.
20230715_065851.jpg
20230715_072011.jpg

We are just outside Joberg now. Yesterday we followed Kevin's advice and hit the Safari store where I bought a new hat. Then Melville and Moon, Amatulis, then the Cuban Restaurant. All were very good suggestions. Thanks much!
We added to the list this morning with a hot air balloon flight. In just moments, we are headed a few doors down for massages my wife booked. View attachment 545854View attachment 545855
Wonderful way to see the veld!

Thanks again Kevin.

As a side note, since we had multiple stops, we hired a private driver through a tour company. I enjoyed his input, as well as the input from Diedre at Africa Sky and we added in our own little stops along the way. In all, I think this poor man had to endure us for 8 hours!

Thanks Kevin, you always seem to have the best ideas. Would love to make the day trip.

Awesome post.................thank you.......................FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg