A Day After The Indian Crocodile

Kawshik, like everyone else has mentioned, times change, ethics change. What had to be done and the way it was done was good for the locals. JMO
I took mine at 90 yards with a 250 grain Barnes TTSX. A very safe distance and situation as long as I did my part.
A 16 gauge with inaccurate SGs and so close, impressive!

And my sympathies for your loss of a good friend at the Twin Towers. Now those were dishonorable cowards who committed those sickening crimes!

I believe your local species are called gators ?
Yes sir we have alligators, but also in Florida we have saltwater crocodiles, but they are a protected species.

Kawshik, like everyone else has mentioned, times change, ethics change. What had to be done and the way it was done was good for the locals. JMO
I took mine at 90 yards with a 250 grain Barnes TTSX. A very safe distance and situation as long as I did my part.
A 16 gauge with inaccurate SGs and so close, impressive!

And my sympathies for your loss of a good friend at the Twin Towers. Now those were dishonorable cowards who committed those sickening crimes!
Ridge Walker
Thank you so much for your kind words.
I did not even know that a 250 grain bullet existed for the magnum .375 bore calibre. In our time , there was only 235 grain , 270 grain and 300 grain weight bullet. You did the intelligent thing.
Yes. Indeed , Kynoch lethal ball cartridges were extremely inaccurate , but powerful at very short distances. And yes , the incident about the twin towers is sickening. What made me even more disgusted was that l had travelled to the middle east at the time for business and there were a large number of sick people on the roads who were celebrating this barbaric atrocity. They were glorifying the killing of hundreds of innocent people and
It made me very angry . Clayton and l were almost of the same age and he was just a year younger than l .

6K7DloD.jpg
Nice lizard Mr. Rahman, I have seen a few in South Africa, but have never hunted them

Attachments

• 6K7DloD.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:
I don't blame you in the least for killing the croc as you did. Kill them any way you can, then and now. Please relate the story of the hunter who almost sat on a croc. It sounds like another fascinating incident.

I don't blame you in the least for killing the croc as you did. Kill them any way you can, then and now. Please relate the story of the hunter who almost sat on a croc. It sounds like another fascinating incident.
Newboomer
Thank you so much for your kind words and support. I shall relate that account tonight. Do alligators attack people in the United States of America ?

I swear you would profit well from a book of short stories. I have really enjoyed your tales. Thank you so much for
sharing them. I am very sorry for your loss on 9 11. A cowardly act indeed!

I swear you would profit well from a book of short stories. I have really enjoyed your tales. Thank you so much for
sharing them. I am very sorry for your loss on 9 11. A cowardly act indeed!
Kevin Masters
Thank you so much for your kind words.
I lost a friend. But some people lost their spouses , children , parents in that monstrous act.

Two days later , Rishi ( our loyal Gurkha coolie ) and l set off with our respected client and his wife towards the the horel fields near the Kudai kills where excellent bird shooting could be had.With us were three other coolies to carry the equipment and refreshments for our client and madame . Rishi carried our client’s Remington 12 bore auto loader. I carried my own Ishapore 12 bore shot-gun loaded with SG cartridge in each barrel , in case an ill tempered boar should rush out of the bushes to do harm to our client. We reached the field and in fifteen minutes gun shots rang out , one after the other.
View attachment 310038
Our client getting ready to open fire

It is wrong and unethical and shallow to label people , however back when l was young , l used to try to predict what kind of shot-gun a client would bring by seeing their nationality. An English gentle man should bring a side by side shot-gun. An European gentle man should bring an over-under shot-gun. An American gentle man should bring a pump operation shot-gun or an auto loader. Please forgive me for my shallow attitude at that time , dear readers. I was merely a young man trying to see if certain nationalities had a preference for certain types of fire arms.
At any rate , our client laid waste to 19 horels using 24 cartridges of number 6 shot .
View attachment 310039
That magnificent Remington 12 bore auto loader

In the mean time , Gautam was busy boiling water over a fire for madame . Madame was an avid coffee drinker and she had brought her own coffee for us to make for her. They came in packets from the firm , Nestle . As Gautam prepared the madame’s coffee , Rishi used a Haat Pakha ( hand fan ) to keep the madame cool , as she sat on a folding chair and complimented her husband’s excellent shooting . Madame however seemed to constantly look at her feet in apprehensive way. I asked her “ Mem Shahib , is everything alright ? “ . Madame asked nervously “ Are there any snakes in these areas “ . I immaturely , but truthfully told her “ Some times , madame . But not very big . Do not worry . Maybe five or six feet size “ . Madame was terrified . As an older man now , l realize what it was that l said , which had unsettled madame. Rishi ( who understood English ) told me “ Bhai , Mem Shahib ke bolen je shaap ashle ami kheye nibo “. ( Brother , tell madame to not worry. If any snake comes , l will eat it ) . I told this to madame , but rather than comfort her , it increased her terror even more.
View attachment 310040
An excellent photographic capture of our client shooting one of the last horels . By this time , my skills at photography were also improving somewhat

Eventually, l had the coolies collect the horels and we then drove our client and madame back to Darjeeling Circuit House. Madame and sir were very kind . They let us take ten birds home to our families. The flesh of the horel is most succulent when marinated with yogurt and tandoori spices and roasted over red coals. However , this is a Shikar forum and not a cooking forum , and thus , let us proceed to the titular climax of this account : The crocodile Shikar
Friend Kawshik
The thought of the birds being done in yoghurt and tandoori spices set my mouth watering. I do like my tandoori chicken, lamb and goat with the goat being my favorite.
It is an unusual choice for hunting crocodiles with a 10 gauge shotgun but loaded the way it was would be effective. I imagine it would work well on wild boar and sambar at reasonable distances as well.
Keep safe and well my friend
Bob

Our client and madame would treat Clayton and me dinner at Imperial Restora for our fine services . And could we refuse ? The mutton chops of Imperial Restora were divine . They were excellent people and our client even taught me how to reload cartridges , a skill which has benefitted me greatly in the last five decades . For sheer entertainment , a week before they left , my client and l decided to fire that old 10 bore at some empty bottles of gool ( local palm wine ). We observed that some of those old brass cartridge cases had a terrible propensity to split at the neck .
Clayton and l remained close friends , even after the Liberation War . And he would often come to visit me in Bangladesh. He and his family moved to the United States of America in 1988 and he lived in New York. This brave person was killed during the September 11 , 2001 terrorist attack upon the twin towers .
I would like to dedicate this article to my good friend , Clayton Quiah . A good Shikari and a greater friend who was killed in an act by swines trying to justify killing innocents in the name of religion. He is survived by his wife and two daughters who still live in New York , today . Never did a friendlier hunter exist .
Friend Kawshik Rahman.
I am sorry to hear of the loss of your good friend Clayton in such a barbaric fashion. I t was a loss of a great man.
After firing that 10 bore black powder it would have taken some time for the smoke to clear. Your client was indeed lucky to have had you there. How long was the beast.
In Australia our salt water crocodiles have been known to get to 28 feet in length. The biggest I have seen in the wild was almost 20feet.
Cheers my Friend
Bob

Ridge Walker
I watch a television show called " Swamp People " and it is very exciting. It shows brave men killing alligators with .22 Long Rifle calibre rifles.
Friend Kawshik
They are shooting them at point blank range while the are hooked.
My father used to hunt them legally in the late 1940s in the Northern Territory. He used a SMLE 303 and military ammunition. He hunted in open water and had to get them before they sunk. He said it was hard work as you shot them at night by torch light or early morning then had to go back to camp and skin an salt them.
Cheers my Friend
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross