A couple of S.A. importation questions.....

Mr. 16 gauge

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have a couple of questions re: importation of rifles/ammo to S.A.

1.) How do you get wildcat cartridges (such as the .338-06) into the country if the headstamp says ".30-06" and the cases have been reformed? It's my understanding that the headstamp on the ammo has to match the caliber of the rifle, or you can't bring it into the country, and from what I observed/experienced at the SAP office, they really aren't all that "up" on firearms knowledge.

2.) Has anyone ever had a problem with a rifle that DIDN'T have the caliber stamped on the barrel or receiver some where? I have a sporterized military mauser; it has a serial number, but the caliber isn't stamped on it anywhere. Would it be worth it to have a gunsmith stamp the caliber (6.5x55) on the barrel prior to going to S.A., just to avoid any hassle?

Mr 16 ga,
First do you have Customs form 4457.
The calber, make and model # will be on there.
I have been to SA three times and they never ask to see the ammo it was in a locked box, all they ask was how much ammo did I have.

Mr 16 ga,
First do you have Customs form 4457.
The calber, make and model # will be on there.
I have been to SA three times and they never ask to see the ammo it was in a locked box, all they ask was how much ammo did I have.

Good point about the form 4457...I forgot about that information being on there. However, when we visited S.A. this past summer they checked several of the arriving hunters ammunition, even going so far as to pull shells out of boxes and look them over (mine was not one of them).
I don't shoot wildcats.....I was just curious as to what needed to be done to get the ammo into the country w/o a hassle.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I got to Africa I use a meet and greet Co.
They walk right through the process.

all they checked on both our trips were the serial number on the firearms , and the pink slip .
id be more concerned with your ammo not turning up with your luggage as happened on both our trips , and not having chaff for your firearm for the first couple of days .......
as long as your paper work is good to go , so will you be ....
they weighed our ammo box at every point which was over due to knives and bolt and batteries and cleaning box . but never once asked me to open it , when l explained why it was over weight
and I just done saps myself this last trip .I emailed some firearms import bloke ,and he never got back to me , so I just went into saps and explained that I wasn't sure what to do , and the saps people could not have been more help full .......

If you are using 338 06 , buy some norma or weatherby brass with the correct head stamp, I did and was not checked, but do not gamble that may not always be the case.

Very interesting question which I think has been answered. I will add that on both my trips ammo was in locked box in suite case and nobody asked me anything about. But I will also say one must go by the book over there.....follow all the rules and instructions given by the outfitter.

My ammo has never been checked, but....you never know !

My ammo has been checked more than once and the cartridge headstamp should match the barrel caliber stamp. It can lead to problems but wont most of the time, but why chance it? And only bring ammo for guns you have with you, not for your PH or anybody else as that is a no no as well.

My ammo has been checked more than once and the cartridge headstamp should match the barrel caliber stamp. It can lead to problems but wont most of the time, but why chance it? And only bring ammo for guns you have with you, not for your PH or anybody else as that is a no no as well.
I've been through the Joburg airport many times and have never had my ammo checked. Previously I simply wrapped my ammo boxes in clothing to insulate them from shock. Now the airports are requesting that ammo be placed in "lockable containers" in their "original" boxes. The ammo must be in checked luggage, not in carry-ons. I've been told that "original boxes" is unnecessary and that plastic reload boxes can be used. The point is that the ammo not be loose where it might clank together. "Lockable boxes" is also open to interpretation. Why not require that boxes be LOCKED with TSA approved locks? In any event, during my most recent trip which ended a few days ago I did just that. I purchased a couple of small tool boxes at Tractor Supply that I locked with small TSA approved locks [locks that TSA could open if they wanted to].

Now, SAPS certainly could check ammo to make certain that the ammo matches the rifle. They might do this to make certain that the hunter weren't bringing in ammo for a rifle other than that checked into SA i.e. for a rifle that was already in the country. Therefore, should a round be stamped with a caliber other than the caliber of the imported rifle, there will be confusion and confusion is one thing you don't want. The SAPS won't be aware of the intricacies of specialized reloading. Also, certain calibers of rifle are prohibited and I'm sure this applies to ammo as well.

Another importation question that all of us need answered is this: Despite claims to the contrary, your temporary gun importation permit must terminate on the date that your airplane leaves South Africa. You are not permitted to place a date several days AFTER you leave the country. To me, this presents a potential serious problem. What if you--for any reason whatsoever--miss your flight? What if you, for reasons beyond your control, can't be at the airport to check your firearms out with the SAPS on the day your temporary import permit expires? What if, for example, your outfitter's car broke down on the way to the airport or what if there were a traffic accident? What if you simply made a mistake as to the day your airplane was scheduled to leave?

All or any of these events would place you in violation of the SA firearms law. It is likely that such a violation could be straightened out but maybe not at the airport. A hunter might be detained until everything were straightened out. For this reason, I suggest something I've never done myself i.e. rent/use your outfitter's/PH firearms. Yes, I recognize that your rifle, with your reloads, might be better than anything your outfitter has but I'm not sure its worth the extra hassle and potential risk.

If you are ever in doubt when traveling to South Africa, contact PHASA - Professional Hunters Associasion of South Africa and they will assist you with importing your firearms and ammo and will work directly with your outfitter, that is what I do and will always do because in Africa or any foreign country it is better to let the professionals handle paperwork etc. And is well worth the small fee.

PHASA is a very reputable organization in South Africa and most if not all PH's and or outfitters in South Africa are members so they are not just a "meet and greet service company", they will have someone meet you at the airport to clear everything with all the appropriate paper work and in my case I was first in line since I was using them maybe took a total of 15 min if that.

Well worth it because people wont try and take advantage of them because of who they are but could very well try with you.. This is a reality unfortunately.

Speak with Tersia Du Plooy
http://www.phasa.co.za/about-phasa/contact-us.html

Again to everyone.......follow what the outfitter tells you. African Sky gave me very detailed examples to follow with respect to the SAPs form and how to package the ammo. I've had no problems but TSA did open my ammo coming back on this years trip at Atlanta. I had the TSA locks on the ammo box in my checked luggage and they left their little calling card to say they had opened the box.

Never had headstamps checked in South Africa but on two trips to Zim they did, Vic Falls (terrible) and Harare.....

If you are ever in doubt when traveling to South Africa, contact PHASA - Professional Hunters Associasion of South Africa and they will assist you with importing your firearms and ammo and will work directly with your outfitter, that is what I do and will always do because in Africa or any foreign country it is better to let the professionals handle paperwork etc. And is well worth the small fee.

PHASA is a very reputable organization in South Africa and most if not all PH's and or outfitters in South Africa are members so they are not just a "meet and greet service company", they will have someone meet you at the airport to clear everything with all the appropriate paper work and in my case I was first in line since I was using them maybe took a total of 15 min if that.

Well worth it because people wont try and take advantage of them because of who they are but could very well try with you.. This is a reality unfortunately.

Speak with Tersia Du Plooy
http://www.phasa.co.za/about-phasa/contact-us.html
Tersia,

You're right. The use of a "meet and greet" company smoothes things considerably....but...they aren't with you when you depart S.A. and check your rifles out of the country at the SAPS office. Yes, the airlines-SAPS take care of things nicely. As I was headed towards the South African Airways counter with my luggage and rifles, a man recognized that I was carrying a rifle case and took me to the SAPS office for a trouble-free check out.

But, as I speculated on previously, what if a hunter--for reasons beyond his control--were obliged to check out a day or two AFTER his temporary importation permit expired? On entering the country the temporary importation permit is given out for the duration of your trip as per your airline ticket i.e. the last day of the importation permit is the same day that you are scheduled to depart the country. What if a hunter were unable to make it to the airport and depart the country as scheduled? How might this situation be dealt with and what are the possible consequences?

Mr. 16 Gauge,

Others here have suggested that you take no chances with the SAPS and I am +1 with them.

Especially the part where Areaonereal suggested that you simply buy some Norma or Weatherby brass since, those two make .338-06 ammunition that is properly stamped as such.

Inexplicably perhaps, most Police Officers here and around the world are not overly enamored with firearms in general, much less do they likely even know you can reform brass from one caliber into some other caliber, at home on your garage work bench.

Therefore, if one of those types over-seas, does happen to notice that your cartridges are marked .30-06 but, your rifle and/or your paperwork says .338-06, it is likely that they will get vapor lock, and good luck explaining your hand-loading habits to same.

Play it safe, get the correct head stamped cartridges.

The .338-06 / 250 grain round nose at 2400 fps should make a near perfect PG rifle, from duiker to eland, for the majority of Africa's hunting conditions and I applaud you for selecting this cartridge/caliber.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you