A Couple Dumoulin Rifles For Sale

brianNH

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Life, CRPA Life, GONH Life
One Safari Sportsman in .416 Rigby, one Super Safari Sportsman in .375 H&H Magnum. Both in very good condition, both $2500 (each), both 26", both listed online.

RIGBY:
Img_8551.jpg

Img_8561.jpg

375 H&H:
Img_8517.jpg

Img_8526.jpg

Contact for more pics, details.

Beautiful rifles!

Someone here needs to be all over either of these two rifles.

Can you please send me more information on your Dumoulin rifles. I do not know that much about them. Thanks for the help.

I'm working on digging up more back story on the rifles.

Here are some search terms in French which anyone may use on Google:
Dumoulin Herstal S A
Carabine Henri Dumoulin
Carabine de chasse Henri Dumoulin
Carabine à verrou Henri Dumoulin
Fusile Henri Dumoulin
Fusile de chasse Henri Dumoulin
Henri Dumoulin fabricant d'armes

The site http://www.dumoulin-herstal.com is no longer operational.

Dumoulin Herstal S A
Belgique
Fabrication artisanale d'armes de luxe, fusils de chasse et carabines. Nous avons créé quelques modèles de base destinés à répondre aux besoins spécifiques de chaque type de chasse et rencontrer les élans esthétiques de chacun. Chaque modèle peut être personnalisé par une liste d'options afin de mieux répondre aux exigences particulières de tous nos clients. Notre atelier et nos ouvriers hautement qualifiés sont à votre disposition pour tous travaux de réparation et d'entretien ou de personnalisation de vos armes tels que le placement et le réglage de lunettes de visée, d'accessoires divers ou travaux de gravure exécutés par des graveurs de renommée internationale.

Some links:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 5.44.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 5.44.21 PM.png
    547.1 KB · Views: 177
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 5.44.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 5.44.22 PM.png
    366 KB · Views: 163
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 5.45.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 5.45.25 PM.png
    684 KB · Views: 137
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 5.45.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 5.45.27 PM.png
    506.3 KB · Views: 140
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 5.45.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 5.45.29 PM.png
    325.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 5.52.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 5.52.11 PM.png
    743.6 KB · Views: 138
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 5.52.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 5.52.12 PM.png
    558.6 KB · Views: 190
Someone already bought the 416 RIgby. He had asked me to check out the bolt and the trigger operation. Everything was nice and smooth with a very nice, crisp trigger. So I checked the same thing on the 375 H&H and realized there's something wrong with the bolt on the 375. It seemed to cock OK, but then wouldn't fire. I fiddled with the safety some and now it doesn't stay cocked when I close the bolt. It's been awhile since I took a Mauser bolt apart, so I have to read up on dismantling and reassembling them. So I have pulled the 375 off the market until I figure out what's going on with it and fix it.

Someone already bought the 416 RIgby. He had asked me to check out the bolt and the trigger operation. Everything was nice and smooth with a very nice, crisp trigger. So I checked the same thing on the 375 H&H and realized there's something wrong with the bolt on the 375. It seemed to cock OK, but then wouldn't fire. I fiddled with the safety some and now it doesn't stay cocked when I close the bolt. It's been awhile since I took a Mauser bolt apart, so I have to read up on dismantling and reassembling them. So I have pulled the 375 off the market until I figure out what's going on with it and fix it.

Message sent @brianNH on the 375HH. I've had to repair two other Dumoulin's for the same exact problem. Not rocket science, the sears wear and the cocking pieces were soft. The easiest way forward, and what I would do if you sell it to me, is swap out the trigger, the safety shroud, and the cocking piece. The net result is a side-safety (bonus) and perfect engagment between sear and cocking piece. Problem solved and gun's reliability and consistency enhanced in the process.

I used a rechnagel 3 position shroud, a EAW sealed trigger group, and a Mauser new old stock cocking piece. Just went slowly with a stone getting the engagement angles right on the replacement cocking piece and set the trigger to 3.5lbs. The safety requires a locate and mill of two small holes on the bolt.

The poor-man's alternative to the above is pull the cocking piece and the trigger to figure out if either is heavily worn or soft. Replace or reharden depending if there is enough material remaining.

I have someone who has offered to buy the 375 as-is, prior to rookrock. If he doesn't take it today, I will let you know. ITMT, here is some info on the history of the 2 rifles:
My dad did have those rifles custom made back in the early 80s. They have killed cape buffalo, elephants, lions and crocodiles.

I figured out what is wrong with the 375. Nothing is worn out or broken – it seems to be just sticky from not being used for decades. See the pics below. The piece that rotates and catches the firing pin sticks down. I put some Kroil on it & it loosened a bit, but not as much as expected. I can rotate it up and down by hand, but it’s still stiff. Maybe it’ll be looser tomorrow.

The Dumoulin trigger assembly: You can see the silver colored sear projecting from the right side of the housing.
Img_8622.jpg

This part pushes down, but doesn't come back up. That's what keeps the firing pin from falling when the bolt is closed. Usually Kroil loosens things like that in a hurry, but not yet on this.
Img_8621.jpg

This is the other end of the same part. It pivots on the pin on the left side of it, and is engaged by the sear on the right. If I push down about where the magenta line is pointing, the other end of it (in the previous picture) comes back up. Safety and trigger then work for one shot, then it sticks down again.
Img_8623.jpg

I believe this rifle is sold as-is anyway, but I really wanted to find and fix the problem myself, just for my own knowledge and satisfaction. Tomorrow, I should have a firm commitment from the buyer. Same buyer also badly wants the 416 and has offered me a LOT more money than I'd already agreed to sell it for, but I won't break my word to sell it to the first buyer.

BTW, I'm the same guy who was selling a Heym double in 458 Win Mag last February or so, and you folks here were great help, and a member here ended up buying it.

I bought the Heym 88B in .458 Win from Brian via Gunbroker. Brian is a heck of a great guy! We share a few conversations about our experiences in the Marine Corps, shooting, and guns in general.

I was very temped to drain my gun money and buy both of these rifles to keep my Heym company. I do however already have a couple of .416's and, let me count... four .375's. It's an addiction those fine rifles. Anyway, I am happy others will bag these fine rifles and hopefully use them to bag a few more big critters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyBelai

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross