Contributor
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.africanindaba.co.za
Media
Articles
Member of
CIC, Rowland Ward, B&C, DSC, German Hunting Association, KZN Hunting Association, Wild Sheep Foundation
Hunted
Western US, Western Canada, Alaska, Colombia, Tajikistan, Russian Federation, China, Iran, Austria, Germany, Spain, Czech Republic, UK, Indonesia, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Congo, Tanzania, Uganda, Botswana, Namibia
A Comparison of the Prices of Hunting Tourism in Southern and Eastern Africa
by Vernon R. Booth

watermark.php

Download the entire brochure at View attachment 2751.

Hunting tourism has been conducted in seven eastern and southern African countries for more than 50 years and recently Uganda has re-opened hunting. This form of wildlife utilization generates significant income for community-based natural resource programs and contributes to the national economies of these countries - approximately 70% of the total cost of a Big Game Safari will enter the economy of the host country in the form of government licenses and outfitter operating expenses.

Sustainable hunting tourism, or conservation hunting as it is sometimes called, therefore is an important tool in promoting conservation and rural development across a broad spectrum of landscapes. In terms of gross revenue generation the conservation hunting industry appears to be robust with growth being recorded in South Africa and Namibia but not in the other major southern and eastern African destinations. The key instruments that generate this income are the cost of various hunting packages offered by hunting operations. Understanding the market trends is therefore essential in determining the value that wildlife brings to local, national and regional economies.

Over 100 websites representing a broad spectrum of hunting operations from Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa and Namibia were visited in 2008 and 2009 to gather data on the marketing strategies of this industry. This paper reviews the data gathered to establish the mean daily rate, trophy fee and hunt duration for a selection of hunting packages ranging from classic big game safaris to plains game ranch hunts. These data are then compared to determine marketing and pricing strategies for the various hunting packages across the region. From this a number of conclusions are drawn regarding the future growth of the industry.

A joint publication by: CIC International Council for Game and Wildlife Conservation and FAO Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Budapest 2009. 128 pp. ISBN: 978-963-87791-8-2;

Download the entire brochure at View attachment 2751.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllieBoatm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross