AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
A Canadian military sniper took out an ISIS fighter with a record-breaking shot from more than two miles away, according to a report in the Globe and Mail, though some have cast doubt on the claim.

The unnamed sniper who apparently carried out the feat was a member of Joint Task Force 2, an elite unit in the Canadian army similar to the US Navy's SEAL Team 6. The shot, according to the paper, disrupted an ISIS attack on Iraqi security forces.

"The bad guys didn't have a clue what was happening," one source told the paper.

The report said the kill was verified by video and other data, though it was not made public. If confirmed, the 3,540 meter kill shot (or about 2.2 miles) would beat the previous sniper record set by British Army sniper Craig Harrison from a range of 2,475 meters (or 1.54 miles).

TM Gibbons-Neff, a reporter for The Washington Post who previously served as a US Marine Corps sniper, expressed skepticism over the claim in a post on Twitter. At such a long distance, he said, the tiniest adjustment to the sniper's windage or elevation settings on the scope could result in a bullet being wildly off course when it got to its target.

There's also the question of the power of the rifle's optic, and whether it could actually make out a human at such an incredible distance.

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/canada-sniper-record-shot-2017-6

The current number two and three longest distance sniper skills are Canadians from the PPCLI using the same rifle (McMillan Tac-50). His name will likely eventually come out, the last Canadian records took some time before they were confirmed publicly.

Last edited:
Certainly possible. The guys over at DTA shot 3080 yards and the owner/founder, had 8/10 on the cardboard. Granted, not all were perfect, but typically at ELR distances, you have a few walker shots.

I hope the guy is back out there every day taking the long shots and scoring! Good for the Canadian Military and all they are trying to do over there.

And I can't hit an impala at 100 yards.....

Charlie will be pleased to note the Ammunition used by the Canadians. :)

Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 7.44.27 PM.png

Cool to see the flag of South Africa flying there as well (y)

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...rget-more-than-2-miles-away-military-confirms

Canadian Sniper Hit A Target More Than 2 Miles Away, Military Confirms

A sniper with Canada's elite special forces is being credited with making a world record shot, after the military confirmed Thursday that he hit a target from nearly 2.2 miles away during a recent operation in Iraq.

Military sources tell Canada's The Globe and Mail newspaper that the sniper killed an ISIS insurgent during an attack on Iraqi security forces.

"The Canadian Special Operations Command can confirm that a member of the Joint Task Force 2 successfully hit a target from 3,540 meters," the force said in an email to NPR. "For operational security reasons and to preserve the safety of our personnel and our Coalition partners, we will not discuss precise details on when and how this incident took place."

The sniper reportedly fired from an elevated position; for the shot to be accurate, many factors — from wind and gravity to the Earth's curvature — would have to be taken into account.

The shot easily surpasses the previous record for the longest confirmed sniper shot of 2,474 meters (1.54 miles), which was set by Britain's Craig Harrison in 2009.

The special forces group says its mission is to protect "the Canadian National Interest and combats terrorism at home and abroad."

In Iraq, Canada's Special Operations Task Force says, its role is to share expertise with Iraq's military to help "detect, identify and defeat (ISIS) activities from well behind the Iraqi security force front line in Mosul."

Last edited by a moderator:
That is some serious long range shooting. Glad he's on "our side."

From the table that Wayne posted above, the bullet of choice was the Hornady A Max (not the non-lethal, absolutely worthless DGS or DGX :whistle: )

Went to this ballistics calculator and ran the numbers to 3600 meters. Wow!
Drop and windage numbers are incredible, I can't imagine hitting the proverbial broadside of a barn at that distance. Also, ~5000+ ft-lbs at 1400 meters. That's what a typical DG rifle has at the muzzle.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

upload_2017-6-23_15-8-5.png

Surprised it killed him ;)

Note they said he "hit" a target. No mention of penetration, or lack there of ;) maybe the target was treated at the scene for a nasty welt and a lead-coloured smear across his forehead. :)

The Canadian Special Operations Command can confirm that a member of the Joint Task Force 2 successfully hit a target from 3,540 meters,"

Went to this ballistics calculator and ran the numbers to 3600 meters. Wow!
Drop and windage numbers are incredible, I can't imagine hitting the proverbial broadside of a barn at that distance. Also, ~5000+ ft-lbs at 1400 meters. That's what a typical DG rifle has at the muzzle.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

View attachment 191822

The only time it is 59F is at night.
You have to get that air temperature up another 30 degrees.
That hit thin air would change everything.
It had to be mid day with a good heat mirage, right! :)

Certainly possible. A local club did a 2 mile shoot (mostly 416s and 50s) and couple members went about 50% on drywall sheets (the 416 shooters kicked everyone's butt). They picked a perfect day to do it; no wind in the desert and about 65 degrees (very little mirage). Also, they took many sighter shots before taking the ones that counted. These guys zero their guns at over 1500 yards!!!!! They want to go to the big 2-mile match in Nevada this summer.

That the military does so good with the issued equipment is amazing. Recreational shooters can utilize the BEST bullets and components made and meticulously load the perfect bullet for each individual barrel, but military snipers have no such luxury. Recreational shooters have custom rifles built with the best materials by some of the best gunsmiths on the planet, but military snipers use what they are issued to use. I have shot military issue precision ammo many times, and found it to be vastly inferior to my handloads. These guys truly make up for equipment limitations with skill.

The NRA now puts on a competition called "The King of 2 Miles", in which team Berger dominates. I don't think anyone could get 1st round hits at that distance. 2 miles is a LOT of flight time!

I wonder how many firings it took to walk that shot in?????? (this is something seldom discussed when talking about these types of shots).

Last edited:
I wonder how many firings it took to walk that shot in?????? (this is something seldom discussed when talking about these types of shots).

The "double" the UK Sniper got occurred because the second target moved to the same position his late trench mate was in. You can hear the Spotter: "Just do the same thing!"
The targets could obviously not understand what had happened.

Do you think some of the ISIS participants are getting a little nervous and having nightmares now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darrell572

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg