A book to read before you go to Africa

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
a few friends insisted I read a great historical fiction (barely sorta fiction actually) before I go to the dark continent.

The book was written in 1980 in two volumes. "The Covenant" by Michener. This is the guy that wrote South Pacific and holds a Pullitzer. The book tells the story of Southern Africa from the dawn of man through Apartheid. It's an excellent read.

I understand that it is banned in some African countries for what I can only surmise is that it symapthizes with all humanity and paints no saints nor villains.

The punchline is everyone murdered, everyone stole land, everyone had the propensity for racism, and in every culture there were remarkable but flawed people. If you're a lover of history and want to understand the layers of complexity that cause the problems of Africa we see today, you'll enjoy this book immensely.

Anyone else read this book? Agree or disagree with my summary?

The punchline is everyone murdered, everyone stole land, everyone had the propensity for racism, ............................ Agree or disagree with my summary?

Except the San. No murdering or stealing land done by them.

Have not read it yet but will order it ASAP. Thanks for the suggestion.

Great read!

My wife is ordering it for her Nook. Thanks for the tip. Sounds like a great one....

It is a Great read. Forrest

I'll have to check it out, now that I know the ending. ...

a few friends insisted I read a great historical fiction (barely sorta fiction actually) before I go to the dark continent.

The book was written in 1980 in two volumes. "The Covenant" by Michener. This is the guy that wrote South Pacific and holds a Pullitzer. The book tells the story of Southern Africa from the dawn of man through Apartheid. It's an excellent read.

I understand that it is banned in some African countries for what I can only surmise is that it symapthizes with all humanity and paints no saints nor villains.

The punchline is everyone murdered, everyone stole land, everyone had the propensity for racism, and in every culture there were remarkable but flawed people. If you're a lover of history and want to understand the layers of complexity that cause the problems of Africa we see today, you'll enjoy this book immensely.

Anyone else read this book? Agree or disagree with my summary?
Certainly an epic book! I loved it. A very time consuming read!!!
As far as something to read before coming to africa... I dunno.. to read africa into that story is a bit general... it would apply to any country in the world when one thinks about it! I believe in being prepared for visits to anywhere and would rather research the country I'm going to to find out what I can about the place! Insights to what to see and find there are always important for me...they are also great conversation starters! Google earth a place and see what photo's of places have been tagged around there is a good place to look too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeWedel71

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois