A Black-Maned Lion By Dwight Van Brunt

PhotoCollector73

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
It seems customary for those who write about hunting lions to begin by citing influences of others gone before. They will first recall youthful rereads of Patterson, Akeley, Taylor and Hunter, then just as certainly mention the more recent adventures of Mellon, Ruark and Sanchez-Arino.

Metaphoric throat thus cleared, they will hold forth on previous encounters when a lion was not on license, every unsuccessful attempt after a permit was secured and the horrific amount of money unhanded in their quest. Somewhere in the mix will be a recounting of shooting practice, a most careful selection of the professional hunter and, finally, the agonizing wait for their safari to begin. It is with absolute certainty they know the reader will suffer these ramblings, for they are writing of lions and thereby command the floor.

I’ll simply confirm this was the well-worn path I followed and get to it.

I went all in for a lion some years ago, writing the check in anticipation that a permit would shortly open in Namibia’s Kalahari Desert. My reasoning was solid. The Kalahari is a wild place that supports a healthy population of equally wild lions. It is also one of the few areas where lions can be tracked, and I wanted to get close.

For several succeeding years, I was offered the opportunity to hunt with the stipulation that only a younger lion could be taken. Those fully mature types ramrodding prides were off limits. It took some doing to convince those who needed convincing that I was not interested in hunting a young lion or even a pride male. Rather, I wanted to try for a grand old lion, one who had fathered his generations and was no longer associated with a pride.

Professional hunter Jamy Traut holds the hunting rights to a fantastic Kalahari concession and spends a great deal of time keeping track of developments in the region. Frankly, by the time the call came, I had all but given up on ever following a set of those great, splayed tracks. Jamy’s simple declaration that the Namibian Government had designated two old males as problem animals was beyond my ability to comprehend.

“When can you come?” Jamy asked.

What followed was a whirlwind of preparation. For the first time, I took the Kimber Model 8400 Caprivi Special Edition from the vault. The only one ever made, it is chambered in .375 H&H Magnum, making it both ideal and proper.

I went up the side of the Cruiser like a spastic monkey and followed pointed fingers to a thick patch of cover. A nose resolved. Through the binoculars I made out a great muzzle scar, then a golden eye floating in a black pool.

His mane, I realized. That’s his mane!

The moment he stepped clear is burned into my memory, for he was even larger than the first great male. Longer, heavier through the mane and, although noticeably thinner, the thing I had waited a lifetime to hunt.

“Let’s move before they catch on,” Jamy said, firing the Toyota. “We’ll return with a bait and draw them out."

1676767337634.png

After locating a large pride, Jamy’s son, Nicky and the driver, Harald, quickly teamed up to hang a bait to attract the lions. After determining a very old male was following the pride, the hunt began.

After hanging the best part of a gemsbok in a promising tree, we retreated to a distant dune. Eventually lions showed, the pride male sauntering in and confidently feeding. Sometime later, the old lion turned up, but when he approached the bait, the younger male attacked and drove him away.

Back in position at daylight, no lions were evident and the gemsbok was gone. Moving closer, we discovered the old lion watching from a pocket of dense brush and guarding the picked-over bones.

The sun was high by the time we satisfied ourselves that the pride had left the area. We then tried a stalk, but there was not even the slightest chance for a shot. The lion broke cover at speed and didn’t stop for a long time. Tracking, we found him again that afternoon with much the same results. After discovering a huge track by flashlight the next morning, we backtracked for three miles to see if it was the right one, for it would be him or nothing. Once certain, we turned back and followed the track for a dozen miles before glassing him bedded near the top of a dune. The approach was perfect, but when we crept over the top, he was already 300 yards away and going flat out.

1676767748710.png

The red sands of Namibia’s Kalahari Desert afford the hunter the unique opportunity to track a lion. Nothing in the hunting world approaches this level of excitement.

Back on the track, it was well into the afternoon before we saw him in the distance.

“He’s calming,” Jamy whispered, “looking for a place to rest.”

We began another approach, with Jamy eventually indicating the lion was meandering about in search of a bed. Creeping now, I stayed in Jamy’s hip pocket until he hit the ground.

“Right there,” Jamy pointed.

The lion was lying in the shade of a shepherd’s tree about 80 yards away. From Jamy’s motions, it was evident he was alert.

“Crawl,” came the command.

It took us 20 minutes to gain 30 yards, as we didn’t have much cover and Jamy would move only when he thought the lion was looking away. Finally, Jamy signed that the cat’s head was down.

“Calm,” he mouthed.

I didn’t know if he meant the lion, if he was asking me a question or giving me an order.

Jamy rose and positioned the shooting sticks. I followed, set the rifle and found the lion. He was still for an instant, then turned in our direction. As he stood I broke the trigger. The lion whirled twice, roaring, took several great bounds and fell.

At least 11 years old, broad through the muzzle and with a tremendous black mane, the lion was so spectacular he remains beyond my ability to describe or comprehend. We carefully skinned the great cat, then prepared the meat for distribution to the locals. Through a fog, I realized that, no matter how long I lived or what future hunts might bring, nothing else would ever compare. Such it is when one takes a lion.

1676768443511.png

After tracking him for nearly 20 miles across the Kalahari Desert, the author took this spectacular old lion. At least 11 years old and with a heavy black mane, he is simply beyond compare.

...Magnificent beast!

A magnificent lion that was hunted late last year in Wintershoek's Eastern Kalahari concession in Namibia. Tracked on foot.

Image was already shared publicly on social media, but blurred the hunter's face just incase.

Magnificent black-maned lion-Eastern Kalahari.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the write up and congrats on a tremendous hunt.

It seems customary for those who write about hunting lions to begin by citing influences of others gone before. They will first recall youthful rereads of Patterson, Akeley, Taylor and Hunter, then just as certainly mention the more recent adventures of Mellon, Ruark and Sanchez-Arino.

Metaphoric throat thus cleared, they will hold forth on previous encounters when a lion was not on license, every unsuccessful attempt after a permit was secured and the horrific amount of money unhanded in their quest. Somewhere in the mix will be a recounting of shooting practice, a most careful selection of the professional hunter and, finally, the agonizing wait for their safari to begin. It is with absolute certainty they know the reader will suffer these ramblings, for they are writing of lions and thereby command the floor.

I’ll simply confirm this was the well-worn path I followed and get to it.

I went all in for a lion some years ago, writing the check in anticipation that a permit would shortly open in Namibia’s Kalahari Desert. My reasoning was solid. The Kalahari is a wild place that supports a healthy population of equally wild lions. It is also one of the few areas where lions can be tracked, and I wanted to get close.

For several succeeding years, I was offered the opportunity to hunt with the stipulation that only a younger lion could be taken. Those fully mature types ramrodding prides were off limits. It took some doing to convince those who needed convincing that I was not interested in hunting a young lion or even a pride male. Rather, I wanted to try for a grand old lion, one who had fathered his generations and was no longer associated with a pride.

Professional hunter Jamy Traut holds the hunting rights to a fantastic Kalahari concession and spends a great deal of time keeping track of developments in the region. Frankly, by the time the call came, I had all but given up on ever following a set of those great, splayed tracks. Jamy’s simple declaration that the Namibian Government had designated two old males as problem animals was beyond my ability to comprehend.

“When can you come?” Jamy asked.

What followed was a whirlwind of preparation. For the first time, I took the Kimber Model 8400 Caprivi Special Edition from the vault. The only one ever made, it is chambered in .375 H&H Magnum, making it both ideal and proper.

I went up the side of the Cruiser like a spastic monkey and followed pointed fingers to a thick patch of cover. A nose resolved. Through the binoculars I made out a great muzzle scar, then a golden eye floating in a black pool.

His mane, I realized. That’s his mane!

The moment he stepped clear is burned into my memory, for he was even larger than the first great male. Longer, heavier through the mane and, although noticeably thinner, the thing I had waited a lifetime to hunt.

“Let’s move before they catch on,” Jamy said, firing the Toyota. “We’ll return with a bait and draw them out."

View attachment 518160
After locating a large pride, Jamy’s son, Nicky and the driver, Harald, quickly teamed up to hang a bait to attract the lions. After determining a very old male was following the pride, the hunt began.

After hanging the best part of a gemsbok in a promising tree, we retreated to a distant dune. Eventually lions showed, the pride male sauntering in and confidently feeding. Sometime later, the old lion turned up, but when he approached the bait, the younger male attacked and drove him away.

Back in position at daylight, no lions were evident and the gemsbok was gone. Moving closer, we discovered the old lion watching from a pocket of dense brush and guarding the picked-over bones.

The sun was high by the time we satisfied ourselves that the pride had left the area. We then tried a stalk, but there was not even the slightest chance for a shot. The lion broke cover at speed and didn’t stop for a long time. Tracking, we found him again that afternoon with much the same results. After discovering a huge track by flashlight the next morning, we backtracked for three miles to see if it was the right one, for it would be him or nothing. Once certain, we turned back and followed the track for a dozen miles before glassing him bedded near the top of a dune. The approach was perfect, but when we crept over the top, he was already 300 yards away and going flat out.

View attachment 518163
The red sands of Namibia’s Kalahari Desert afford the hunter the unique opportunity to track a lion. Nothing in the hunting world approaches this level of excitement.

Back on the track, it was well into the afternoon before we saw him in the distance.

“He’s calming,” Jamy whispered, “looking for a place to rest.”

We began another approach, with Jamy eventually indicating the lion was meandering about in search of a bed. Creeping now, I stayed in Jamy’s hip pocket until he hit the ground.

“Right there,” Jamy pointed.

The lion was lying in the shade of a shepherd’s tree about 80 yards away. From Jamy’s motions, it was evident he was alert.

“Crawl,” came the command.

It took us 20 minutes to gain 30 yards, as we didn’t have much cover and Jamy would move only when he thought the lion was looking away. Finally, Jamy signed that the cat’s head was down.

“Calm,” he mouthed.

I didn’t know if he meant the lion, if he was asking me a question or giving me an order.

Jamy rose and positioned the shooting sticks. I followed, set the rifle and found the lion. He was still for an instant, then turned in our direction. As he stood I broke the trigger. The lion whirled twice, roaring, took several great bounds and fell.

At least 11 years old, broad through the muzzle and with a tremendous black mane, the lion was so spectacular he remains beyond my ability to describe or comprehend. We carefully skinned the great cat, then prepared the meat for distribution to the locals. Through a fog, I realized that, no matter how long I lived or what future hunts might bring, nothing else would ever compare. Such it is when one takes a lion.

View attachment 518166

After tracking him for nearly 20 miles across the Kalahari Desert, the author took this spectacular old lion. At least 11 years old and with a heavy black mane, he is simply beyond compare.
Thanks for sharing such a great article. I am especially attached to this one because I know Dwight...and he was instrumental in my writing my book Cries of the Savanna. At SCI several years back, he was the presenter at a SCI seminar about writing articles. I attended with the idea of possibly writing a book. When I mentioned my idea in the seminar -- and informed him that I was a non-hunter -- he got so excited and asked me to stay afterwards to talk. Not only did he talk to me for 45 minutes, he became my beta reader. I sent him each chapter as I wrote it and he critiqued it and offered advice as I went. So I have much to thank Dwight for! Without his encouragement and support, I might not have had the confidence to write the book. He insisted that it was a story that needed told. For anyone reading this, Dwight has a book "Born to Hunt" with many articles like this. I highly recommend it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcdowall

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!