A bit of frustration today....

Sounds like you'll be made whole. Some of those ads on gunbroker have more disclaimers than info on the item.

It's very frustrating when you've been after a specific item, think you've found that item, then it turns out you haven't. Glad you got your purchase price back at least.

I've purchased a number of things from gunbroker over the last couple years. It's completely hit or miss. I've found great deals there on firearms/ammo with free shipping and no credit card fees, and I've also been charged 3% extra and $30 shipping (USPS) for a scope - neither of which were mentioned in the listing. Most sellers don't seem to use gunbroker's check-out feature - frustrating because the check-out feature is pretty handy and fairly well-designed when you are purchasing a firearm.

Gunbroker.com eliminated the check-box feature for different stages of a transaction last year as part of an "upgrade" that also eliminated the system view where all of a member's watchlist, bidding, and won/lost listings at a glance on a single page. Like you, it was great from a purchaser's POV, many sellers I purchased from made no use of it. I think that's why that feature was eliminated - low seller utilization. Some sellers I interfaced with had a position it was too much to ask of them to keep purchasers informed period, especially once the seller had money in hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sell quite a few guns on Gunbroker, and I pride myself in keeping my bidders informed of every move as it's being made. I wish other sellers were as contentious. I've been screwed a few times, but fortunately not many. I bought a Kimber Caprivi one time that was listed as new, and it showed up with a cracked ebony forend tip, and handling marks all over it. Including the metal. Needless to say, I sent it back, but had to eat the shipping.

And normally one does have to eat the return shipping. Sounds like you shouldn't have on that one though.
GB should make it policy that it the item is misrepresented like that, and the buyer refuses it, the seller has to pick up the tab. Then they would be more careful how they list things.
I have seen many many errors and flat out lies in listings, I often send notes to sellers apprising them of same, some are cool with it, others not so much.

I already did that about shipping.. the guy called me today and explained what happened. As I suspected he sold the one I bid on some time ago, listed another one and didn't upload new pics. He agreed to pay all the shipping costs and offered me all manner of means to make it up. He said he knew of a couple more locally of this rifle and would look into it. Not going to hold my breath on that, told him just refund my money and shipping. We shall see...

good to hear that he has accepted responsibility

Sounds like you'll be made whole. Some of those ads on gunbroker have more disclaimers than info on the item.
My personal fav is the guys that post more pix of an empty box than of the gun itself!o_O:(

Seller got the rifle back on Saturday, emailed me today and said refund including shipping both ways is in the mail. (y) Don't think I can complain about that.

My favorite listings on GB are the ones that state "as new" and then in the same sentence describe how there are cracks, dents and such.
Glad to hear you are receiving your refund.

Good deal. Thanks for the update.

Glad it worked out

Updated. Received a full refund today with shipping both ways and a little extra for gas money. Seller is borisandangus of Juneau, AK. My second buy from them. I think it was an honest mistake, but it was handled properly and I will buy from them again.

I snagged a different one on GB. It doesn't have quite the high grade wood the other one did, but its very nice overall if the pix do it any justice. Same price, should have it by weeks end. I will post when I get it here.

I took delivery of this rifles replacement today. Same model of rifle, the Alaska 25th Ann. .338 Win mag. Wood is not as pretty as the one I didn't:mad: get, but better than some I have seen, nice reddish color and a bit of figure(y). Will try to get a few pics up tomorrow.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanonBurc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.