A bit of everything - Blackbuck and partridge

-- Jr --

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Argentina
Hello people! How is 2020 on the other side? Over here like the shit, but.... We are used to living on the edge of the precipice. Sorry if I dont have a very good english.

Short trips to partridges. Very cold and windy, but it was good to dust off the 16 bore. Many hares got up, but half way away and with so much wind, I couldn't catch any. The disadvantages of shooting with a single shot and 16, but the possibility of the animal leaving is essential for it to really be a hunt.

Whats-App-Image-2020-06-29-at-5-27-55-PM.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2020-06-01-at-9-47-56-AM.jpg

First trip to the blackbuck . We arrived almost at dawn, to try to make the arrival with the dawn, but we did not count on the fog. We look for shelter in a mill and take out the binoculars. We saw some herds, but between the distance and the fog banks, it was going to be very difficult to get them to an acceptable shooting distance. We waited, until suddenly, I don't know where it came from, we saw a solitary male. It would be about 600 meters. Under normal circumstances, it would have been no less than an hour, chest land, to reach a shooting distance of at least 150 meters, since the field was totally devoid of grasslands or any dirt to go crouching, but with the fog that there was, we could try to make close almost standing still. Here I have to give full credit to the guide, since we had not done 50 meters, and I no longer had any idea where the male was. We continue with the approach until in a moment I see a silhouette in the fog. A certain shape was distinguished, but nothing else. I opened the bipod, put on my chest and waited for the fog bank to pass. He wouldn't stop shivering, because I was totally wet and the sun hadn't come up yet. 15 minutes would have passed, and I was trying to clean the sight glass, because I knew that the shot was going to have to be fast. Luck accompanied us, and the male began to walk towards where we were. I shoot no more than 70 meters :

Whats-App-Image-2020-06-28-at-7-28-25-PM.jpg

Then, we saw a herd at no less than 1000 meters. By this time, the sun had already risen. I leave everything I had on me, and I carry only the rifle. We will have crawled about 300 meters, and the rest we had to do on the ground. It will have been an hour to get to an acceptable distance. I arrived destroyed. Open the bipod and point to the only male I could see in the pack, but could not see the horns. I ask the guide if with the binoculars he could see it well, and he tells me that it is smaller than the first one, but it was good. I point, I hear the impact of the ammunition and again, it remains in place. When I get to the male, I see that he is a very young male. Although it was already an adult size, it was not yet a huntable specimen. The guide apologized for his mistake, and since I have known him for a long time, I know he was sincere. At this moment I was no longer hitting my soul, so we carry up the male, went to get our backpacks and returned to the ranch to eat a good barbecue.

Second exit to the blackbuck . We do it in a different field, with many more specimens and much larger herds, but (there is always a but), completely bare fields. It was going to be a much more difficult hunt. Luckily there were 3 of us hunting this time, so while I stayed with the guide in one of the few hills in the field, the third could lead the pack to where we were.
An hour will have passed since we were stationed, and the first group arrives, but they were all young males. Here we had the pleasure of being able to film them:

15 minutes pass, a lonely male arrives. He would not be more than 60 meters, but he was coming running. The guide rise up, the male sees him and stays still, I shoot and falls into his shadow. My idea was to hunt one more male and return to the ranch, so we waited for the main pack to come. Soon they arrived. I don't know the exact amount, but there were many. The problem was that they came running and among so many, it was very difficult to fix a target. I see a beautiful male, aim and shoot. I hear the impact, but as they kept passing, I couldn't see if he had fallen in place or if he kept running. We wait for everyone to finish passing and we will look for it. With the bad luck that I gave him a female. Which I hate. Not because it's illegal (which it isn't), but because I don't like hunting females.

Whats-App-Image-2020-08-19-at-10-20-28-AM-1.jpg

That herd had already gone very far, so we tried another one, but it was more than 3 km away. We walked about 1000m and this time we stayed, chest land, in a trough for the farm. The third one went to surround the herd and we waited. After a long time, we see that the herd is beginning to approach, but this time they were walking, so I took out the binoculars and began to see the males that were arriving. I will have passed about 20 or 30 males, until I see two very goods. This time, with all the time in the world, I settle down to shoot and not to make the story too long, one of the males fell on the spot, and the second one will have walked 20 meters before falling dead.

Whats-App-Image-2020-08-19-at-10-20-30-AM.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2020-08-19-at-10-20-30-AM-1.jpg

The rifle is a 1909 Mauser with Shilen 25-06 barrel. Reload are with sierra 120g and A19 (a national powder). Measured the velocity in the polygon and give 3150 ft / sec. So far everything I touch, I stay in place. Medium heavy for walking as the spout has a thick profile but is extremely accurate.

Congrats JR - thanks for sharing!

Nice shooting. I want to get a Blackbuck at some point. Just haven't been able to get to one yet. Sounds like a lot of fun. Your rifle is perfect that type of animal. Which country are you hunting in? Congrats and thanks for sharing.
Bruce

Thanks guys!

Nice shooting. I want to get a Blackbuck at some point. Just haven't been able to get to one yet. Sounds like a lot of fun. Your rifle is perfect that type of animal. Which country are you hunting in? Congrats and thanks for sharing.
Bruce

Thanks Bruce! The hunting is in Buenos Aires, Argentina. If you have to come to Buenos Aires, I have no problem to take you to hunt your first Blackbuck.

Best wishes

Bien hecho Jr. !

Well done

Very nice Jr, Congrats!
Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

Hi Jr.....Good to see you here and welcome to this monster hunting site.....I used to be Guazupucu at the foro del tirador in ARG and I have readed some of your hunts in the other forum......
Welcome again and enjoy this great hunting site........

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Thanks to everyone! I hope next year I can go to Africa for the first time

Thanks JR - Excellent stories, I love Argentina!

Thanks for sharing..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg