Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I have a tbolt 22 that I use for practice. But it is so small and is not like the rifles I hunt with. Does anyone have advice on a 22 that would be more like the size and feel of the Brno ZKK style rifles?

Edit: In thinking this through it has probably more to do with a full sized stock, but an action that is more similar would be interesting. Time to go looking and saving

Thanks.

Last edited:
CZ makes a 527 carbine that is cheaper to feed than a magnum, that was an option I looked at when looking at cheaper options for practice.

I ultimately ended up loading some “cheap” 375 Ammo and went that route…

Is the ZKK similar to the CZ 550?
Not really advice per say, since I'm mostly a Tikka guy, but my Tikka T1X 22 works well for practice including when the CZ 550 9.3x62 comes along. The CZ has a Timney trigger, and it and my Tikkas (incl the 22) are all tuned close the same. The T1X 22 has an easily adjustable single stage trigger (same as the T3s).

The weight of the T1X (20" mid weight barrel) is similar to the CZ and a little heavier than the T3Xs. A spare factory recoil pad for the centerfire Tikkas fits the T1X 22 since the stocks are exactly the same. That takes the LOP from 13.5" to 14", which also matches my CZ 550, etc.

Whatever you get, the 22 will like a good scope capable of dialing in ranges from 50 to 300+ yards. Preferably parallax adjustable. Makes practice a lot more fun! A 20 MOA rail is a good idea as well.

Why not pick up a ZKK 22 WMR or LR? Restock to match your stock.

I would try to find A 222, or 223 ZKK and use that. I have A 458 lott with a pop up peap as well as A 222 with a pop up peep and other than a little bit of weight difference they are virtually identical.

I bough a ZKK 601 in .308 specifically as practice for the 375 & 458. Unfortunately the stock design, fit, weight and balance are very different. The primary benefit is that the safety operates in identical fashion which is great for practicing snap shots starting with the safety applied.

Vudoo gun works?

their V22 is CRF and AICS mag

Rem 700 style action
The one I know of has exceptional accuracy. World class PRS shooter has it. No personal experience except his cluster of shots were mostly MOA or better at 100 with a moderate+ cross wind. Standing supported with a heavy tri-pod, IIRC.

Nothing really close to full size BRNO or CZ I'm familiar with. But a 22 cal Mossberg Model 44 US military training rifle does come to mind. I think they go for around 400-600 when you find them?? Otherwise just get light weight, cheap bullets and use the 60% of max Hodgdon rule with H4895 and practice with the same rifle. :)

Nothing really close to full size BRNO or CZ I'm familiar with. But a 22 cal Mossberg Model 44 US military training rifle does come to mind. I think they go for around 400-600 when you find them?? Otherwise just get light weight, cheap bullets and use the 60% of max Hodgdon rule with H4895 and practice with the same rifle. :)

You reminded me that I actually bought a couple pounds of trailboss for that specific purpose when I was learrning to shoot my 375. However, I am now thinking that using the 22 avoids using brass up.

Good shot is a good shot.
Trained person, is a trained person.
Trigger time is trigger time

And there is no way that is possible, to compare any 22lr rifle with any 375 hh rifle.

So, any 22 will be ok for training.
As much as possible.

Depending of availability of other ammo, to make some training with other calibers, like 223, 308.
Finally at least a minimum shots to be done with 375.

The one I know of has exceptional accuracy. World class PRS shooter has it. No personal experience except his cluster of shots were mostly MOA or better at 100 with a moderate+ cross wind. Standing supported with a heavy tri-pod, IIRC.
I have one

they are very accurate

sub MOA with ammo it likes is not unusual

last time I shot at distance I was able to get a 5” group with 10 rounds @ 400 yards

half an inch vertical and 5 inch horizontal spread

I was using R100 ammo

best 5 shot group was shot by a student of mine - 0.8” @ 150m

however it’s value in practice for medium calibre lies not in its accuracy but perhaps because it is designed to replicate centre fire rem 700 short action

on reflection it perhaps is no better than any other rifle for such medium calibre practice

good rifles though

j

Hunting with clients I have noticed most cartridge jams are caused by short stroking the bolt. DG cartridges are a lot longer than .22s, beware.

Light loads won't be too hard on brass by setting sizing die to minimal resizing. A fairly common, full sized 22 bolt gun would be the Ruger 7722- but discontinued which means prices have been going up :(

Hunting with clients I have noticed most cartridge jams are caused by short stroking the bolt. DG cartridges are a lot longer than .22s, beware.

Good point.
The very worst habit, IMO, is dry firing and only partially working the bolt.

Loading magazine full with snap caps and ejecting on the floor builds muscle memory. Same with live ammo at the range from sticks - I (mostly) load three in the centerfires and fully work the bolt. Even just two is better than single loading.

I like to take the Tikka 22 plus two centerfire rifles with practice load - rotating the 22 in after each one of the others. I can see where practicing Only with the 22 could be a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross