AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I was asked about the reasons for my choice of the 20 cal I chose some time back for the rabbit shooting I do here and it goes back to the early 70's when I had a mod 70 22-250 for a bit of range that the (3) 22 Hornets I had were not getting to or at least not without serious gestimated range estimation (sans rangefinder then) that was not necessary with the 22-250. It was not long after this that the 17 cal became the darling of the small game crowd and with the 17 rem quickly getting a reputation in Australia with the fox shooters via the gun rags of the day, of being badly effected by the wind and especially with the Rem cartridge causing barrel fouling I was never interested in this cartridge. The 17Mk iv on the 221 Fireball case was not effected to the same extent but there didn't seem to me to be sufficient reason to go there with custom rifles etc so the unsatisfied urge for a cartridge/rifle that was an in between combination with the manners of the Hornet and the capabilities of the 22-250 laid dormant untill years later when the Ruger in 204 became the sensation of the small game long range crowd.
I did quite a bit of research on the 204 but felt that Ruger had gone the same way as Rem had with the 17 and used a case that was just a bit more than needed for this 34/35 gn 20 cal bullet and went back to my old loading books for another look at the 17Mk iv and started to wonder what the result would be if the Fireball case was in 20 cal rather than the 17 of the Mk iv.
By this time the computer was a well established part of our every day lives so I googled 20/221 and found screeds of information and I found that the 20 cal had been in developement on and off sor some time and not only was my idea feasable but was already in production and called the 20VarTarg (for Varmint Target There had been work done on the 22 Hornet, 222, 223, 223mag, 6mmbr and others but the most efficient of them all is the 20VT. In comparrison it out ranges the 22-250 while the wind drift also favours the 20VT
The cartridge was designed by Tod Kinder so I got in his load book " The Terrific Twenties" and started to seriously consider this fantastic little cartridge as I was doing a lot of shooting in Central Otago (NZ) at the time were we would lay out on the flat and snipe the hill sides for rabbits.
I liked the Little Cooper rifle but the NZ agents failed to respond to numerous emails and the parent company directed me back to the NZ agents so that idea was rejected.
A bit of research on the 204 cartridge showed that the long (5mm) freebore was not conductive to best accuracy but it was not a bad place to start from and consequently I ordered a Remington X R 100 as a donor rifle. The XR 100 was the Bench Rest outgrowth of the X P 100 pistol bolt action released in 1963 and had been used to great effect by the bench rest chaps. It came with the solid bottomed receiver with 26 inch heavy barrel in a laminated thumbhole stock that is very good from the bench and in the field from prone but I found it less so later on in the field from for carrying on walking hunts and eventually replaced it.

When it arrived at the gun shop I also bought a box of 204 Ruger ammo just to see/prove to myself if what I had thought of the larger cases 20 was a legitimate predudice. After installing a 6-24x scope and getting it sighted in I had a good few cartridges left so my shooting partner and I went out to our usual rabbit hunting hillside and set up over a bipodface and the first one I lined up showed as just on 250yds (Leica rangefinder) and the rabbit was almost destroyed with the hit and so for the rest of the box of ammo the results were the same.As I always bring a few home for the table this was less than ideal and cemented the need fot eh VarTarg n place of the 204 in my mind with years of use now proving the point.

20 VarTarg 011.jpg

I had already been in contact with gunsmith to talk through the barrel shorten and rechamber and he said he would get the reamer in as he was getting a number of enquiries about 20 cal so wanted the reamer on hand.
With the 20 Vartarg specs on hand I had the barrel shortened to remove the excess chamber and freebore length and with it rechambered to the 20 VarTarg I was already set to start the load testing with a set of Wilson straightline dies, Neck turning equipment, Berger 35gn bullets, ADI 2207 (H4198 equivelent) and SR primers.
The 6-24 (a less than stellar BSA from memory) had the paralax on the objective lens and was less than ideal to alter in the field so eventually I changed it for a 4-16 Monarch with side turret parralax dial which was very much better
20 VarTarg 012.jpg

I tried the 32gn and 40gn V Max,s but it was the 35gn Berger match bullet that was to really make my rifle come allive. Most of the loads in the Terrific Twenty,s book seem to favour VN 120 or H4198 and as 4198 is an ADI powder sold as 2207 that's where I started. This data shows up to 20.2 gn 4198 behind the Berger Bullet but I needed a twelve inch drop tube with the powder trickled in slowly and then my favoured load of 19.2gns filled the case to above the base of the neck and gave me 3640 fps with the accuracy needed for 300 yd rabbits .

This was a regular test target for me to be confident in the little rifle

003.jpg
And of course we all have that one skite target to hang on the wall.

002.jpg

I did find that the chook piece was a bit low on the sttock for good cheek weld during these accuracy sessions so a bit of down pipe was cut, heater and bent to shape over the stock after some cling film under the pig skin under layerand something to space it up to height. Expanding foam was the stabilising/fill agent
020.JPG
019.JPG

When it was cleaned up some thin pig skin was glued and sewn in place and this made things far more repeatable and produced best results.
004.JPG

003.JPG

With the target work all done and more being done on the rabbit faces we found the sharp crack of the shot was causeing the rabbits to stay out of sight for longer than usual so I heavy duty suppressor was installed which made a real difference.
All things change and after a few years I was no longer doing the same amount of prone shooting onto the hillside as I had an injury that made prone shooting impossible so a change was made to walking hunts over a set of ridges that was restricking the shots ot about 150 yds and standing shots were necessary as when you saw a rabbit the shot had to be taken so the bog pod tripod standing rest was the answer. Carrying the near 12lb rifle became a concern especially if there were up to 20 field dressed rabbits in the pack by the end of a mornings walk so a few changes had to be made.
Because of the shorter distance shooting I did some more testing with the very cheap and soft Nosler shots bullet and developed a superb short range load that works very well with the 35gn SHOTS bullet at 2700fps (haha back to Hornet performance) and with it zero'd at 100yds the fast 3640fps Berger bullet is zerro'd at 250 yds so I can use either bullet interchangably without having to change the scope settings. I had the barrel shortened from 26 inches back to 21 inches and bought a new suppressor for the lower velocity load. A strengthened 22mag supressor at 6 inches and 8 oz instead of the 12 1/2 inches and 13 0z of the original unit.
20211002_131250.jpg

The rifle was uncomfortable to carry so I made a traditional shaped stock but made it a three piece laminate. I added a QD port on the top of the butt stock to allow for a carry strap and that way I can carry over the shoulder with rifle in the near ready position , deploy the bog pod, slip the strap loop that is on the barrel (against the end of themforestock) back over the fore end and I have the rifle up and ready to shoot. It has reduced the weight down to about 9 lb from the over 12 that is was in original trim.
IMG_20191213_161418.jpg
IMG_20191213_154650.jpg

At one stage when I was shooting more level ground I made this shooting trolly that made for a very stable platform but is not usable on the hills I shoot now. The Stony Point bipod is excellent in this situation.
shooting trolly 006.JPG

shooting trolly 005.JPG

shooting trolly 003.JPG

Nice, I've read a little on the VarTarg elsewhere, I know you mentioned it here previously.
The stuff I read says it has minimal recoil and the muzzle blast is much lower than say the .204.
It sounds like a very capable round and is surprisingly shorter that the .204 Ruger.

A buddy has the Vartarg. The 20 Practical is another easy and accurate wildcat in 20 caliber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross