9mm Mannlicher 1905 M Rifle

N.G.Brokensha

Reaction score
Looking for any information regarding this gun. Been pasted down from my grandfather. Ammunition and hunting information will be appreciated.
Thanks

Sam Fadala acquired one and wrote about it in his book, Legendary Sporting Rifles, Stoeger, 1992. You might do best by going to Wolfe Publishing 's website, to see what is available in the Rifle/Handloader archives. Alternatively, the Mannlicher Collector's Association does arrange special production runs of ammunition for the sporting rifles and might be a useful source of hand loading data.

It is my understanding that factory ammunition uses .356 diameter bullets but I have never measured any of it.

Best of luck with your search. Please keep us up to date with your progress.

My Mannlicher-Schönauer M1905 in 9x56...

...and its performance on paper, after some load development, with .358 dia. 225 gr Sierra game king.

with kind regards

HWL
DSC01362.JPG
DSC01363.JPG
DSC01364.JPG

What an elegant little carbine and accurate too!

HWL. that is a beautiful old rifle, apparently it still shoots as good as it looks.

And thumps boar and red stag with authority. HWL's is as pretty as they come.

I have one that I recently revived. I just purchased factory ammo from Buffalo Arms and it shoots like a dream. If you ever have a need for scope mounts, New England Custom Firearms can get the right ones, only made in Germany. This gun is a classic and I plan on hunting nyala and bushbuck with it next July!!

Remarkably like the one in my avatar

It's basically a 35 Remington (in fact, uses the same projectiles). Easy to reload, you can make brass out of 8mm Mauser (which is an 8x57). You can just shoot an 8mm Mauser out of it, fire forming the cases and you may no even have to trim the cases 56mm vs. 57mm. Just make sure you use commercial brass.

They're lovely guns, and with the set trigger, really accurate too! Shot one as a kid on safari with my grandfather. Rings for the rifle cost hundreds of dollars...really stinks, the fun of that type of mount.

Nice Lines, love those Mannlicher Stocks

It's basically a 35 Remington (in fact, uses the same projectiles). Easy to reload, you can make brass out of 8mm Mauser (which is an 8x57). You can just shoot an 8mm Mauser out of it, fire forming the cases and you may no even have to trim the cases 56mm vs. 57mm. Just make sure you use commercial brass.

They're lovely guns, and with the set trigger, really accurate too! Shot one as a kid on safari with my grandfather. Rings for the rifle cost hundreds of dollars...really stinks, the fun of that type of mount.
Mine was manufactured in 1921 and has a tight chamber it would not chamber brass formed from 8x57. I had brass made by Quality Cartridge company. My next problem was sticky bolt lift from 358 bullets. Got some 354 bullets from Hawke bullets and am now getting 1 3/4" to 2 inch groups at a 100 yards. I learned more about reloading for this rifle that I had the previous 10 years combined. Have taken 3 deer and a couple of hogs with it. It is the finest still hunting rifle I have ever used.

Mine was manufactured in 1921 and has a tight chamber it would not chamber brass formed from 8x57. I had brass made by Quality Cartridge company. My next problem was sticky bolt lift from 358 bullets. Got some 354 bullets from Hawke bullets and am now getting 1 3/4" to 2 inch groups at a 100 yards. I learned more about reloading for this rifle that I had the previous 10 years combined. Have taken 3 deer and a couple of hogs with it. It is the finest still hunting rifle I have ever used.
You cannot beat pushing a soft lead slug down the barrel to see what your starting point is. Good result. Nice to hear that your dream turned out so well.

You cannot beat pushing a soft lead slug down the barrel to see what your starting point is. Good result. Nice to hear that your dream turned out so well.
That is exactly how I determined the bore size. Used die makers blueing to see why the reformed 8x57 cases wouldn't chamber. I found I really enjoy bringing old guns back to usefull life again. Previous to the Mannlicher I restored and made ammunition for a Remington model 14 chambered in 30 Remington, another obsolete cartridge. It was manufactured in 1920.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross