9.3x64 reloading data

K95

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Alaska, Mongolia, NewZealand, New Caledonia, Africa Australia.
Hi everyone who may be interested in this underrated and forgotten cartridge. I know there is a small number of guys here in Australia who are faithful followers of the 9.3 x 64. My first introduction hunting with this great cartridge happened when I took my Mauser 66 to Africa some 30 years ago. I was using factory ammo them predominately RWS H- mantels and Tugs. These were some what fragile at the 64’s velocities but most were one shot kills. Later on I duplicated the same results in Alaska. I moved on and sold that rifle 3 yrs later. I was younger and dumber back then and wanted the latest and greatest. Little did I know that the 9.3 x 64 is one of the best cartridges for hunting of all manner of game the world over. With today’s bonded and monolithic projectiles driven by the powders we have now it’s performance have risen to new heights. Don’t get me wrong the caliber does has it’s draw backs. It isn’t lack of performance, it’s finding cartridges and cases, rifles in that chambering and reloading data. My current rifle started as it’s little brother a 9.3x62. A reamer from Pacific tool and gauge soon fixed the problem.
Please find below some of the reloading I have worked in a 23” Blaser barrel. All loads were safe in my rifle but please work up slowly from starting loads.
I have found the best powder so far is Reloader 15
66grs 2678
67grs. 2692
68 grs. 2706
69 grs 2744
70 grs. 2772
71grs. 2792
72 grs. 2836
I have found that Reloader 16 is to slow, in fact slower than Reloader 17 which gave better results.
Reloader 12 which is no longer available was the next best Alliant powder.
Rel 12
68 grs 2662
69 grs 2708
70 grs. 2753
71 grs. 2792
72 grs. 2821
285 gr Norma Oryx gave best results with Reloader 17
68 grs. 2450
70 grs 2526
72 grs. 2557
73 grs. 2602
74 grs 2639
75 grs. 2662
76 grs 2683
Next best powder so far is 2209 or re-labeled H4350
72 grs 2508
74grs 2588
75 grs. 2627
76 grs 2650.

1st group shot with 74 grs Rel 17
3 shot group at 100 yds
2nd group shot with 75 grs of 2209 or H4350 at 100 yds.
I will post new loads when available. The Norma Oryx is extremely accurate not only in the 9.3 x64 but also in the 340 Weatherby 365 Ruger and the wife’s 243 win.
DDCC2011-1DF6-4427-A494-3590AEEB1536.jpeg

3E931AF7-EBF3-4A5E-8D19-F333DBB2A662.jpeg

I will be following with great interest as my next build is the 9.3 x 64. I found a good supply of brass and am set to go.

I have a fair bit of powder but no 17 and just a little H4350. I'll keep my eyes open for those.

On a side note, I regularly drive past Pacific Tool and Guage. It's fun for me to see our local companies mentioned in international threads.

Randy

Good information. I'll be following because while I don't own a rifle so chambered a friend does and I'm loading ammo for him. So far the most difficult thing is availability of brass. We are working with 25 cases that were made from 458win. brass.

Good information. I'll be following because while I don't own a rifle so chambered a friend does and I'm loading ammo for him. So far the most difficult thing is availability of brass. We are working with 25 cases that were made from 458win. brass.
Did you see this?

Did you see this?
I do now, thanks!

I will be following your thread as this is a build in the planning stages. I currently have rws brass with plenty of projectiles from my 9.3x62 and will soon be ordering reloading dies from simplex here in Oz. I've not settled on the action to use yet as I have a couple of sporter m17 rifles or an old mauser action, one will be a 318 westley richards. I've not selected a barrel or smith for the 9.3x64 build yet.

@K95
What length of barrel are you using? What about twist?
RH

Sorry but the pics downloaded in reverse. The one hole group was with the Rel 17 the .6” group was the H4350 still not bad .
Hi guys
I forgot to mention that the loads with Rel 12 and 15 were with 250 grain projectiles.
Will be working with the 300 gr shortly. Other bullets to try are 286 and 300 gr swift A frame , Northfork 286 gr soft points and cup solids and the Aussie 250 gr Atomic 29’s. After a test result with the 286 gr Norma Oryx I think I have found the perfect pill for large game up to and including our Buffalo. 10 days ago I hunted the Australian Alps . The first morning I shot a stag at 160 yds. The animal was looking at me down in a valley. The bullet hit the stag in the head smashing all bone traveling down the cervical where it existed. It then re entered high in the back traveling all the way to the groin under the hind back leg. The bullets path was a perfect straight line through 5’ of bone , heavy muscle and paunch, resting under the skin. It expanded perfectly and retained 86% of its original weight.
I couldn’t have expected any better. I will take a pic and post it.

I will be following your thread as this is a build in the planning stages. I currently have rws brass with plenty of projectiles from my 9.3x62 and will soon be ordering reloading dies from simplex here in Oz. I've not settled on the action to use yet as I have a couple of sporter m17 rifles or an old mauser action, one will be a 318 westley richards. I've not selected a barrel or smith for the 9.3x64 build yet.
Just a tip, when you order the Simplex make sure you order the shell holder as well, it doesn’t come with the die set and they are extremely hard to get that size anywhere else.

@K95
What length of barrel are you using? What about twist?
RH
580 mm just short of 23”
I will be following with great interest as my next build is the 9.3 x 64. I found a good supply of brass and am set to go.

I have a fair bit of powder but no 17 and just a little H4350. I'll keep my eyes open for those.

On a side note, I regularly drive past Pacific Tool and Guage. It's fun for me to see our local companies mentioned in international threads.

Randy
I have done business with them on a number of times and there service is outstanding. I normally use redding but I think the best dies for the European cartridges are Australian made Simplex.

Hi Bushy
What state do you live in as I have a excellent smith here and I also have the reamer.

Cheers for the tip regarding the shell holder I have a lee press though so I'll have to check if they are compatible like the dies

Hi guys
I forgot to mention that the loads with Rel 12 and 15 were with 250 grain projectiles.
Will be working with the 300 gr shortly. Other bullets to try are 286 and 300 gr swift A frame , Northfork 286 gr soft points and cup solids and the Aussie 250 gr Atomic 29’s. After a test result with the 286 gr Norma Oryx I think I have found the perfect pill for large game up to and including our Buffalo. 10 days ago I hunted the Australian Alps . The first morning I shot a stag at 160 yds. The animal was looking at me down in a valley. The bullet hit the stag in the head smashing all bone traveling down the cervical where it existed. It then re entered high in the back traveling all the way to the groin under the hind back leg. The bullets path was a perfect straight line through 5’ of bone , heavy muscle and paunch, resting under the skin. It expanded perfectly and retained 86% of its original weight.
Here are some photos of the Norma oryx 9.3 cal 285 gr recovered after traveling end to end of a Sambar stag. Retained weight 86%

CAC2C634-91FD-47D4-9365-06C56AA1F97F.jpeg
CDEAFB02-05F2-4AC8-B8F7-38FC15E66ACE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys
Here are some photos of the Norma oryx 9.3 cal 285 gr recovered after traveling end to end of a Sambar stag. Retained weight 86%

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone here used any of the vihtavouri powders with this cartridge?

I had Rob Blomfield (Sunshine Coast Gunsmithing) "build" one on a Ruger No. 1 action; poor health has prevented my shooting it so far, sadly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you