9.3x64 for Buffalo?

Khabazela

Reaction score
Media
Member of
Kaapjag ; Wingshooters
I am going to hunt Buffalo in Zimbabwe and need a couple of questions answered.
I have a Mauser 9.3x64 rifle. Firstly, does this qualify in Zim ? If it does, I would like to find out what the general opinion is regarding the suitability of this calibre (using RWS 293gr factory ammo)
I know the rifle well, accuracy is not a problem.

Minimum Equipment Requirements for Rifle Hunting in Zimbabwe
- Class A Game
5300 Joule
Minimum caliber 9.2mm in diameter
(Elephant, Hippo, Buffalo)

The 9.3x64 Brenneke is a fine caliber. Basically the same as a .375 H/H and just as capable if you do your part. What ammo will you be carrying..Uni Classic ?

I have killed a few Cape Buffalo with its smaller brother the 9.3x62 and certainly consider them both adequate with well placed and well constructed Bullets.
However the 293grn TUG (Uni Classic) is NOT what I would consider well constructed for Buffalo! If you can get some bullets loaded then ether use 300grn or 286grn Swift A Frames, North Fork soft, Woodleigh FMJ or Barns X.

I love the 9.3x64 Brenneke but but .. I have sold my "Mauser" rifle to buy a .375 H&H cause the lack of ammo .. see ClassicSafari and Docman opinion.
It's mainly used in East and North Europa where the "Uni" and "Tug" are very good suited according to the Games. RWS seems do not want to compete against the .375H&H in Africa for Buf and Pachydermes... (they told me ..) ... It remains many and many games like for instance felines ..

I have killed a few Cape Buffalo with its smaller brother the 9.3x62 and certainly consider them both adequate with well placed and well constructed Bullets.
However the 293grn TUG (Uni Classic) is NOT what I would consider well constructed for Buffalo! If you can get some bullets loaded then ether use 300grn or 286grn Swift A Frames, North Fork soft, Woodleigh FMJ or Barns X.
The 9.3 x 64 Breneke is a excellent all round cartridge for most African game. I have been doing a lot of work with this cartridge for a up coming article for sporting shooter. Here is what I think would be a excellent load in this cartridge for Buffalo.

59B14E0E-D139-4DF0-A634-7B11BE4F8ADB.jpeg

Old thread, 2013....

Here is what I think would be a excellent load in this cartridge for Buffalo.
I really don't want to derail anyone's thread... but the load in the pic (73gr RL-17 for 2630f/s, 23" barrel) appears to be very far into the red.
With respect, I don't believe this should be endorsed in any way as an 'excellent' load without some serious caveats. This load is in proof load territory at close to 80,000 psi.

It seems to be a near Max but nothing too hectic. 286gr travel at 2700fps.
I would guess the 9.3x64 would be perfect with the heavier 300gr bullets as long as they are strong enough for the higher velocity over the 9.3x62.
300gr Oryx or A-Frame would be deadly.

That load of 73 grs of Rel 17 with the 300 gr in my 9.3x64 works perfectly in my R8 with no pressure signs . It is a max load and like all max loads anyone should work up observing pressure signs. Cases are RWS.
Reloader 17 is the best powder I have found by far in this cartridge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choangclubcasa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross