9,3x64 Brenneke

Keiler

Reaction score
Hello,

For a longer time now I've been looking around to get myself in the reloading business, certainly if I see how limited the availability of factory 9,3x64Brenneke is.

So I though I'll start out with getting some reloading manuals, the first one I bought (Hornady 8th edition) is lacking the 'chapter' about 9,3x64Brenneke :cool: I bought it online and couldn't check if it had that chapter...
Can some of you maybe point me in the direction of manuals containing information regarding the 9,3x64Brenneke.
Other calibers I'm interested in are: 6,5-284Norma, 9,3x62Mauser & 9,3x74R the once I use for hunting in Europe.
In due time I'm planning of adding a .416 Rigby and a .470NE to my collection, depending on the short comings of my current collection.
Normally the 9,3 's should cover most, if not all, but might be considered just a tad light by some PH's.
If I should need to step it up (and not so 'deep' down I actually want to :) I'm thinking of skipping .375H&H since it is relatively close to the 9,3x64Brenneke and immediately go for .416Rigby, or even .470NE since I've the 9,3x64Brenneke in a bolt-action and might cover the 'longer'shots.
I know the 9,3's haven't got the recoil of the latter 2 calibers, but I would get them way in advance of an actual safari, so I can get really familiar with the rounds and rifle/double rifle, but plinking with those calibers is expensive and reloading can cut those expenses a bit.

So can anybody help me a bit, which manuals do you think contain the best information?
What do you think of stepping it up in caliber, is it necessary/wise to do so, or are the 9,3's sufficient?
And if a step seems appropriate, what are the ideas around the 'step-up' calibers I chose?

Grtz,
Keiler

Last edited:
My Woodleigh book lists several loads for that round. I believe it lists all the others except maybe the 6.5 Norma... for me, that's OK because it does list the 6.5 Mannlicher, which was the important one. If I can only figure out how to load their Protected Point bullets in that rifle, I'll be golden. I can get COA right, and it will feed, but I have too high pressure with it. Will figure it out some day, or just stick with the round nose...

Nosler "reloading guide 8" and "Any shot you want" has it...

HWL

Hello,

For a longer time now I've been looking around to get myself in the reloading business, certainly if I see how limited the availability of factory 9,3x64Brenneke is.

So I though I'll start out with getting some reloading manuals, the first one I bought (Hornady 8th edition) is lacking the 'chapter' about 9,3x64Brenneke :cool: I bought it online and couldn't check if it had that chapter...
Can some of you maybe point me in the direction of manuals containing information regarding the 9,3x64Brenneke.
Other calibers I'm interested in are: 6,5-284Norma, 9,3x62Mauser & 9,3x74R the once I use for hunting in Europe.
In due time I'm planning of adding a .416 Rigby and a .470NE to my collection, depending on the short comings of my current collection.
Normally the 9,3 's should cover most, if not all, but might be considered just a tad light by some PH's.
If I should need to step it up (and not so 'deep' down I actually want to :) I'm thinking of skipping .375H&H since it is relatively close to the 9,3x64Brenneke and immediately go for .416Rigby, or even .470NE since I've the 9,3x64Brenneke in a bolt-action and might cover the 'longer'shots.
I know the 9,3's haven't got the recoil of the latter 2 calibers, but I would get them way in advance of an actual safari, so I can get really familiar with the rounds and rifle/double rifle, but plinking with those calibers is expensive and reloading can cut those expenses a bit.

So can anybody help me a bit, which manuals do you think contain the best information?
What do you think of stepping it up in caliber, is it necessary/wise to do so, or are the 9,3's sufficient?
And if a step seems appropriate, what are the ideas around the 'step-up' calibers I chose?

Grtz,
Keiler
The .416 Rigby has always been a bit of a Siren's song for me. I like the fact that it is so spacious that you can really crank up the power should you desire to. Thanks to the .416 Barrett and other long range guns there are some interesting offerings available for Cutting Edge Bullets if you wanted to shoot long range too. Staball 6.5 and Win 780 look like they have a lot of room for improvement if you wanted 2500+fps with the 400 gr bullet. The downside is that it seems a bit more expensive than a .458 to practice with and doesn't seem to get the same respect for stopping power that a .458 Lott does.

The .470 NE is the smart play with DR calibers for resale, general availability, and thanks to several large bore handguns sharing the bore diameter...a source of "plinking"/practice projectiles. From the quick looks at the Federal, Hornady and Norma loadings, it's essentially a .458 Win Mag with more frontal area. A 500gr bullet running 2150fps with more or less 5100 ft/lbs at the muzzle. Norma being slower by 50 fps and losing around 130 ft/lbs for its tardiness.

All in all, I'd like to hear more about your 9.3x64 journey. It is a caliber I'd like to learn more about and through my brief look at it, I fully agree with you that a .375 H&H would be a waste of time if you already had a 9.3x64. What kind of rifle do you have that chambers it?

Thanks for all info!!! Let me source those manuals and see what I can come with :)

That 9,3x64 I’ve chambered in a Voere 2165 (Mauser 98 system) and I’ve 2 bullets off RWS I use, a lighter fast Evo Green and a substantially heavier, but slower Uni Classic. Recently (or I only noticed it recently when ordering new bullets) the latter is reduced in power…

How do you like the Voere?
Thanks for all info!!! Let me source those manuals and see what I can come with :)

That 9,3x64 I’ve chambered in a Voere 2165 (Mauser 98 system) and I’ve 2 bullets off RWS I use, a lighter fast Evo Green and a substantially heavier, but slower Uni Classic. Recently (or I only noticed it recently when ordering new bullets) the latter is reduced in power…

Hello,

Grtz,
Keiler
@Keiler
Our good friend the late @bruce moulds was a,strong advocate of the 9.3x64. If you search this forum I'm sure you will find more information on the 64 than you can poke a stick at. Bruce loved the way the swift AFrames worked in it and had an absolute hatred for the nosler Partitions in his beloved cartridge.
Bob

There are several options, but I don't know how to bring them here, they are in the table.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg