9.3x62mm vs. .375 H&H Mag

Well, there is the difference in MV, and a mass difference of 14 grains. Otherwise, 285/286 9.3 is the same SD as 300 gr 375 - .305 for both.

We will see, I imagine. I have black bear next year, and either nilgai or bison for 2023. Maybe '24 will be the year I get infected with Africa-itis.
Zim, I'll tell you flat out, if you make that trip to Africa the only bad thing about it is half way through it you'll start scheming how to go back again!!

Curious as to thoughts on the efficacy of Norma Oryx 285 gr for cape buff. I have 286 gr SAF (none loaded up yet), but my Normas give such amazing accuracy. Haven't read any accounts of Oryx 285 on cape buffalo, but I have seen accounts of 375HH with 300 gr Oryx, and the results have been stellar.
I think you could stand to open your group up an inch and still be plenty accurate for a Buffalo. Good shooting, I must say.

C in c vv w

Your 9.3 scope looks an awful lot like the VX5HD mounted on mine.

Actually it was wearing a VX6 1-6x24 at the time. That’s my wife’s Buffalo.

How does a bigger caliber allow shots you could not take with the others?
If you are refering to a full frontal shot on buffalo I concur, if not then I disagree.....quartering or broadside you either have a shot or not...9.3 all the way up to 500.
A well placed shot with a premium bullet with a 9.3, 375 or lott or whatever=dead buffalo...
Shoot it in the arse with whatever....you have a problem....

The buff in my avatar was a quartering frontal one shot kill with my .458 Lott. I would not have taken that shot with my .375 or 9.3. My last buff was feeding toward me in a valley. I shot him through the top of the neck down through the spine vaporizing his heart and lungs. That’s a shot I was very comfortable making with the Lott but would have hesitated to take with the smaller calibers. Even with the Lott, these are not shots to be taken lightly. You have to be able to put the bullet in the right spot every time.

How does a bigger caliber allow shots you could not take with the others?
If you are refering to a full frontal shot on buffalo I concur, if not then I disagree.....quartering or broadside you either have a shot or not...9.3 all the way up to 500.
A well placed shot with a premium bullet with a 9.3, 375 or lott or whatever=dead buffalo...
Shoot it in the arse with whatever....you have a problem....
A 9.3/.375 will not have the kind of wound channel or effect a larger caliber will. Caliber and bullet weight matter.

full

full

I will never argue against using a bigger bullet. While I’ve taken a bison with a 9.3X62, one shot, 286 grain Partition, and a couple of buffalo with a .375 H&H, there are certain shot angles I would only consider with a bigger bullet. To me, that means buffalo hunting with a .375, I’ll use heavy-for-caliber bullets, and turn down shots that seem iffy. The 350 grain Woodleigh Weldcore I used on the buff below, 80 yards through the heart, was instantly effective; that same shot wouldn’t have been more effective with a bigger bullet.

1BA0EF5F-A30A-47CB-9286-34A7C74217FE.jpeg

seems as I recall somebody posting here a while back that the 2 most common cartridges used in 1-shot kills of cape buffalo are 375H&H and 9.3x62.

there are any number of reasons for that -
1. more people hunt cape buffalo with those 2 than with 40s or bigger.
2. the people who use those calibers are, as a group, more selective on shot angle
3. with the bigger boom comes bigger recoil, and perhaps many hunters shooting 40 cal+ aren't as accurate with them as they would have been with a lighter-recoiling rifle like 375 or 9.3.
4. a combination of those, plus others I can't call to mind.

accuracy is the trump card

seems as I recall somebody posting here a while back that the 2 most common cartridges used in 1-shot kills of cape buffalo are 375H&H and 9.3x62.

there are any number of reasons for that -
1. more people hunt cape buffalo with those 2 than with 40s or bigger.
2. the people who use those calibers are, as a group, more selective on shot angle
3. with the bigger boom comes bigger recoil, and perhaps many hunters shooting 40 cal+ aren't as accurate with them as they would have been with a lighter-recoiling rifle like 375 or 9.3.
4. a combination of those, plus others I can't call to mind.

accuracy is the trump card

@sgt_zim

I have to agree with you.

Accuracy, and then shot placement trump everything else.

People can shoot the 9.3 better because of a lot less recoil, thus placing their shot in the right spot to make clean kills. Same goes with the .375!

Anything larger, usually makes people flinch, or rapid squeeze the trigger, and shot placement starts going out the window, very quickly.

I believe, that the 9.3 isn’t that significantly smaller in diameter to the .375, and can impart hydrostatic shock if pumped up a little. Just like a .375 does.

I could be wrong. But I think the proof is in the pudding.

Hawk

While I agree 100% with you guys, I can tell you from experience that a well placed shot from a Lott is more immediately decisive than a similarly placed bullet from a 9.3/.375.

While I agree 100% with you guys, I can tell you from experience that a well placed shot from a Lott is more immediately decisive than a similarly placed bullet from a 9.3/.375.
No doubt. But you clearly don't get the vapors when you get ready to pull the trigger on that beast. I'd wager that few here have that issue. But there's lots more of "them" than there are "us." ;)

No doubt. But you clearly don't get the vapors when you get ready to pull the trigger on that beast. I'd wager that few here have that issue. But there's lots more of "them" than there are "us." ;)
I have both 9.3x62 and 375HH. Pretty close to equal in my book. The only bugaboo is that the authorities in Africa look at the headstamp and go by posted regs. In most places the 9.3 doesn't meet the regs even though it may be handloaded to equal 375. That said, why not carry a 375 and not have to worry? You're safe all around.

I have both 9.3x62 and 375HH. Pretty close to equal in my book. The only bugaboo is that the authorities in Africa look at the headstamp and go by posted regs. In most places the 9.3 doesn't meet the regs even though it may be handloaded to equal 375. That said, why not carry a 375 and not have to worry? You're safe all around.

I would love to carry a .375 H&H, but like many of the German Colonialists, I am not that, nor do I see myself, that wealthy to where I can buy an expensive .375 H&H rifle, and also pay an exorbitant amount on ammo. Last time I checked, .375 H&H ammo was around $118 for a box of 20.
I’m just saying, for me, the 9.3x62 is a lot more affordable.
But, by all means, if you’re able to afford .375 H&H, or bigger, please feel free to do so.

Another thing, I may not be able to hunt Africa anytime soon, but I can hunt here in the states, and now can use my uber amazing 9.3x62 to go elk, moose, and bear hunting, and let it get some experience before I go to Africa.

I foresee myself using it even on smaller animals, like deer, and wild hogs here. And more than likely on a local “safari”, and going after nilgai. That would be a very successful test, I think. Nilgai are supposed to be extremely tough and tenacious. An excellent reason to use my 9.3x62!

Hawk

That is true of Tanzania and Botswana. It is not true of Zimbabwe or Mozambique. I am unsure of Zambia and RSA varies by province but generally allows the 9.3. We need to be careful of generalizations.

Almost forgot, I'll add a qualifier. I will always chase accuracy over velocity but it's nice to know the potential is there if needed.
@Rick HOlbert
True but if you can have both good velocity and accuracy all the better.
Bob

I would love to carry a .375 H&H, but like many of the German Colonialists, I am not that, nor do I see myself, that wealthy to where I can buy an expensive .375 H&H rifle, and also pay an exorbitant amount on ammo. Last time I checked, .375 H&H ammo was around $118 for a box of 20.
I’m just saying, for me, the 9.3x62 is a lot more affordable.
But, by all means, if you’re able to afford .375 H&H, or bigger, please feel free to do so.

Another thing, I may not be able to hunt Africa anytime soon, but I can hunt here in the states, and now can use my uber amazing 9.3x62 to go elk, moose, and bear hunting, and let it get some experience before I go to Africa.

I foresee myself using it even on smaller animals, like deer, and wild hogs here. And more than likely on a local “safari”, and going after nilgai. That would be a very successful test, I think. Nilgai are supposed to be extremely tough and tenacious. An excellent reason to use my 9.3x62!

Hawk
Just curious, what did you pay for your 9.3. I payed $700 for a good used M70 CRF 375. And $900 for a nearly new ZKK 602 375.
Your thread also happens to be about reloading the 9.3.
Its fine if you like the 9.3 better, but I’m not sure it’s cheaper.

Just curious, what did you pay for your 9.3. I payed $700 for a good used M70 CRF 375. And $900 for a nearly new ZKK 602 375.
Your thread also happens to be about reloading the 9.3.
Its fine if you like the 9.3 better, but I’m not sure it’s cheaper.
Interesting! In Oz the Winchester would be more expensive than the Brno by a considerable margin!

Well, there is the difference in MV, and a mass difference of 14 grains. Otherwise, 285/286 9.3 is the same SD as 300 gr 375 - .305 for both.

We will see, I imagine. I have black bear next year, and either nilgai or bison for 2023. Maybe '24 will be the year I get infected with Africa-itis.
@sgt zim
Time and tide wait for no man.
If you can get off your bum and get to Africa while you can still physically enjoy it. Time has a bad habit of creeping up and delivering regrets of should have done that when I could have.
My son is now 17 and it doesn't seem that long ago he was on his mums boob and now I wonder where did the time go so quickly.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg