AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life Member NRA, Life Member DAV
Hunted
Coyote, Deer, Elk, Moose
Hello all!

I’ve been doing some homework into the whole .375 H&H Mag vs 9.3x62mm business.
Now, what I have to say on the matter is this….

The .375 H&H has a decided advantage over the the 9.3x62mm only when the 9.3x62 is loaded to original pressures.

Now, with that being said, once you start loading the 9.3x62 to 64k psi, the same pressure the .375 H&H runs at, they are pretty much equal.

Yes, I can hear the gasps, and the snorts of derision already coming about from what I just said, from the die hard .375 H&H fans.

But, I am not just callously saying that to stir the pot, so to say, nor am I trying to cause a fight.
I do have data to back up what I’ve said, and will post said data in pic form after I am done writing here.

I also want to let everyone know that, the data for the .375 H&H is with a standard 24 inch barrel, whereas the 9.3x62mm data is with a 22 inch barrel.

If the 9.3x62mm is given a 24 inch barrel, and a modern, strong bolt action, there isn’t any reason to not load it to such pressures, except for maybe one, and that’s free recoil.

I hope to open a few eyes to those who may be on the fence about getting a 9.3x62mm, and hopefully opening the eyes of those who are objective .375 H&H aficionado’s too.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
I’ve been taking a play out of your playbook, and have applied it to the good Ol’ 9.3x62mm.
Plus, there is another gentleman by the name of Bob Mitchell here in the states, who has done the same thing.

Hawk

IMG_1654.jpg

IMG_1655.jpg

IMG_1656.jpg

IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_1664.jpg

IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1666.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

I am leery of this one bit of Nosler data. Case capacity at ~63 gr water??? The once-fired Norma brass I have comes in at ~76 gr water.

63 gr water is down near 30-06 territory.

my 9.,3 shoots a 286 North Fork @ 2505 with Big Game.

Latest Barnes data shows a 300gr in the 375 @2642 over Big Game

Does 137 fps, 14grains, and .009 of an inch matter?

Well, as much as I love my 9,3 - it's still not a 375 H&H ;-)

There’s a gent, and gun writer by the name of Bob Mitchell, who has shot 300 gr bullets in his Tikka T3 9.3x62 out at 2600 fps.
I hear ya, you love the .375, nothing wrong with that in my book.
I love the 9.3! For the case, and it being super efficient as a medium bore round, it does some amazing things when properly loaded, in a strong modern action, that is!

Hawk

I am leery of this one bit of Nosler data. Case capacity at ~63 gr water??? The once-fired Norma brass I have comes in at ~76 gr water.

63 gr water is down near 30-06 territory.

I understand where you’re coming from.

Part of how it may be done is to not seat the bullet in as deep as American manufacturers like to go.
Some of the old rounds, like the 8x57, the Europeans would just seat the bottom of the bullet right where the shoulder and the neck meet.
From what I understand, that can sort of be done with the 9.3x62 as well, because most rifle makers make them with very long throats, to keep the pressures down on the heavier projectiles, like 300 gr and above.
I hope that helps explain a little more.
Plus, some of the load data will be compressed in the 9.3x62 as well.

Hawk

I get that, but curiously, Nosler has the 2nd longest COAL for the 286 gr NP of any 286 gr bullet I am aware of, and I have Swift, Norma, Hornady X, Woodleigh, and Barnes manuals.

In any case, water capacity isn't a function of how deeply bullets are seated, it is purely the amount of water a case can hold, not counting the meniscus

Hello all!

I’ve been doing some homework into the whole .375 H&H Mag vs 9.3x62mm business.
Now, what I have to say on the matter is this….

The .375 H&H has a decided advantage over the the 9.3x62mm only when the 9.3x62 is loaded to original pressures.

Now, with that being said, once you start loading the 9.3x62 to 64k psi, the same pressure the .375 H&H runs at, they are pretty much equal.

Yes, I can hear the gasps, and the snorts of derision already coming about from what I just said, from the die hard .375 H&H fans.

But, I am not just callously saying that to stir the pot, so to say, nor am I trying to cause a fight.
I do have data to back up what I’ve said, and will post said data in pic form after I am done writing here.

I also want to let everyone know that, the data for the .375 H&H is with a standard 24 inch barrel, whereas the 9.3x62mm data is with a 22 inch barrel.

If the 9.3x62mm is given a 24 inch barrel, and a modern, strong bolt action, there isn’t any reason to not load it to such pressures, except for maybe one, and that’s free recoil.

I hope to open a few eyes to those who may be on the fence about getting a 9.3x62mm, and hopefully opening the eyes of those who are objective .375 H&H aficionado’s too.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
I’ve been taking a play out of your playbook, and have applied it to the good Ol’ 9.3x62mm.
Plus, there is another gentleman by the name of Bob Mitchell here in the states, who has done the same thing.

Hawk

View attachment 439077

View attachment 439078
View attachment 439079
View attachment 439080
View attachment 439081
View attachment 439082
View attachment 439083
View attachment 439084
@hawkeyesatx
Be prepared for an argument mate.
Some of those old rounds when loaded properly really shine.
I couldn't understand the question data you need to simplify it. Some thing like
Powder xxxx yygrains
Velocity xxxxx
Pressure xxxxx.
That way this old fart can understand it.
Bob

my 9.,3 shoots a 286 North Fork @ 2505 with Big Game.

Latest Barnes data shows a 300gr in the 375 @2642 over Big Game

Does 137 fps, 14grains, and .009 of an inch matter?

Well, as much as I love my 9,3 - it's still not a 375 H&H ;-)
@baxterb
The Whelen with a 275gn Woodleigh @2,500+ fps with a similar amount of powder.
Does .008" and no difference in velocity really matter.
Well yes at times it does.
Bob

I’m sorry I didn’t clarify earlier, but I’m not trying to say the 9.3x62 is better than the .375 H&H!

I wanted to say, that with the right loads, it will equal the old, standard loads of the .375 H&H Mag. Not exceed any new load data that can benefit the .375 H&H as well.

Also, given same barrel lengths,
THE 9.3x62mm CAN EQUAL THE OLD LOADS OF THE .375 H&H MAGNUM, if run at 64k psi.

A fact is, that given the same weight of bullets, the x62 comes within a few feet per second of the old loads, if not the same. Certainly something a game animal isn’t going to notice in the field.
Just like a game animal isn’t going to notice the difference if it was shot by a .30-06 or a .308 Winchester.

I have yet to have an animal after I shot it, while laying there dead, or dying, get up, and object to being shot by a .308 Winchester. Or ask me if that was a good Ol’ .30-06 that got it.

Hawk

@hawkeyesatx
Be prepared for an argument mate.
Some of those old rounds when loaded properly really shine.
I couldn't understand the question data you need to simplify it. Some thing like
Powder xxxx yygrains
Velocity xxxxx
Pressure xxxxx.
That way this old fart can understand it.
Bob

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen

I will simplify things for you. LOL

9.3x62mm load data at 64k psi, 250 gr Nosler AB bullet

Relodr 17 powder, max charge at 68.3 grains, with muzzle velocity of 2757 feet per second.

9.3x62mm load data at 64k psi, 286 gr Nosler PT bullet

Relodr 17 powder, max charge at 66.2 grains, with muzzle velocity of 2590 feet per second.

Now, with H414 load data, max charge of 68.2 grains, and same 250 grain AB bullet, gets 2704 feet per second.

Using H414 load data, max charge of 66.0 grains, and the same 286 grain bullet, gets 2544 feet per second.

Oh, don’t you worry Bob, I have thick enough skin to withstand an argument.

But me thinkest I have yet to begin to ruffle the .375 H&H Mag pundits feathers.

Also, I’m not trying to use one set of data to say that the 9.3 is better, just equal.

Hawk

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen

I will simplify things for you. LOL

9.3x62mm load data at 64k psi, 250 gr Nosler AB bullet

Relodr 17 powder, max charge at 68.3 grains, with muzzle velocity of 2757 feet per second.

9.3x62mm load data at 64k psi, 286 gr Nosler PT bullet

Relodr 17 powder, max charge at 66.2 grains, with muzzle velocity of 2590 feet per second.

Now, with H414 load data, max charge of 68.2 grains, and same 250 grain AB bullet, gets 2704 feet per second.

Using H414 load data, max charge of 66.0 grains, and the same 286 grain bullet, gets 2544 feet per second.

Oh, don’t you worry Bob, I have thick enough skin to withstand an argument.

But me thinkest I have yet to begin to ruffle the .375 H&H Mag pundits feathers.

Also, I’m not trying to use one set of data to say that the 9.3 is better, just equal.

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
Mate 64,000 psi is getting right up there. 60 to 62,000 psi would be a lot safer.
I don't load the Whelen over 52,000 cup which translates to 62,000psi
Bob

Love the thread topic! The 9.3 in the earlier times & .375H&H in the modern times = both, make big creatures dead.

Own both calibers and have had excellent results with both up to and including buffalo. If buffalo is on the menu I typically grab the Lott. If it is not, my 9.3 is the handier rifle, which leaves the .375 feeling a little unloved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinPr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!