dchamp

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, Australia, Namibia, Canada, Argentina
I normally shoot 250gn Barnes TTSX in my 9.3x62. They have served me well and I am very happy with them. However the idea of having a heavy for caliber load has its own appeal, mainly momentum, so I thought I would start to work on one. I started off looking for some 300gn A-Frames but was unable to locate any. I did however find some Norma 325gn Oryx bullets and purchased a couple of boxes.
I‘ve decided to share my experience in developing this load with you as I go along. I may or may not do things the way you or others do but that’s ok. I have my own ways. Constructive criticism is always welcome though.

I’ll start with my loading so far and todays shooting event:

Caliber 9.3x62
Rifle: Blaser R8
Scope: Swarovski Z811.7-13.3x42P
Barrel Length: 22”
Brass Cases: Lapua
Bullet: 325gn Oryx
Primer: GM215M
Powder: RL-17
COAL to Lands: 3.474
COAL: 3.350” (picked randomly)

Charge WT. in GrainsFPS

Atmospherics: 28.24"HG, 36%RH, 86f

I have attached the predictions from QuickLoad, my notes from shooting and the target. All shots were at 100yds. Also after shooting I adjusted the temperature in QuickLoad to the actual temperature while shooting and noted QL's new velocities in my notes.
Next I think will be a OCW.
Until Then..

QuickLOAD© V.3.3 © Copyright 1987-2007 - H.Broemel, Babenhausen, Germany-3.jpg
QuickLOAD© V.3.3 © Copyright 1987-2007 - H.Broemel, Babenhausen, Germany-2.jpg
QuickLOAD© V.3.3 © Copyright 1987-2007 - H.Broemel, Babenhausen, Germany-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Duchamp
Wow it looks like you have done your homework. I use to load the 293 gr Tug out of a 24” barrel Mauser 66 at just over 2400 fps. Accuracy was very good but I wasn’t impressed with how the Tug projectile retained its weight. I have always been a fan of the Oryx bullets and use them in my 340 Weatherby and my wife’s 6 mm.
Did you test for accuracy and how did they perform. At the moment I am having a Blaser 9.3 x 62 barrel re chambered to the 9.3x 64 Breneke in the R8. Ken

Excellent data for those (including me) that use the same powder in the 9.3x62.
Following along to see how the accuracy testing goes.

Very cool, but that has to be some stout recoil.

I'm waiting on some Woodleigh 320 gr RN to show up and will begin similar testing with Alliant PoerPro 2000MR. I won't even try to reach 2300 with those, though. Recommended impact velocity is 2000-2200 fps, so I'll try to get to about 2250-2275 and see what's what.

RL17 must be much better suited to the 9.3x62 than any other powder, to achieve these velocities with a 325gr bullet. The velocities you show are higher than the 9.3x62 is shown to get with 286gr bullets in most manuals. This is basically duplicating 375 H&H velocities with a 350gr bullet.

Duchamp
Wow it looks like you have done your homework. I use to load the 293 gr Tug out of a 24” barrel Mauser 66 at just over 2400 fps. Accuracy was very good but I wasn’t impressed with how the Tug projectile retained its weight. I have always been a fan of the Oryx bullets and use them in my 340 Weatherby and my wife’s 6 mm.
Did you test for accuracy and how did they perform. At the moment I am having a Blaser 9.3 x 62 barrel re chambered to the 9.3x 64 Breneke in the R8. Ken
Checking for accuracy will come next. All I have done so far is checked for velocity, pressure and seeing how it behaves. What I mean by behaves is as you see it is fairly orderly, it is narrow laterally and steps down fairly evenly. If it had looked more like a shotgun pattern I would have been less impressed.

Next I will be running an Optimal Charge Weight test for accuracy. I'm thinking I will probably test with charge weights from 60.0-62.0 in half grain increments.

RL17 must be much better suited to the 9.3x62 than any other powder, to achieve these velocities with a 325gr bullet. The velocities you show are higher than the 9.3x62 is shown to get with 286gr bullets in most manuals. This is basically duplicating 375 H&H velocities with a 350gr bullet.
IKR? Just did the quick math...that's 5500 Joules at the top end! Holy cow! That's just a couple short-and-curlies south of a 404J shooting 400s at 2200, at least as far energy goes.

I normally shoot 250gn Barnes TTSX in my 9.3x62. They have served me well and I am very happy with them. However the idea of having a heavy for caliber load has its own appeal, mainly momentum, so I thought I would start to work on one. I started off looking for some 300gn A-Frames but was unable to locate any. I did however find some Norma 325gn Oryx bullets and purchased a couple of boxes.
I‘ve decided to share my experience in developing this load with you as I go along. I may or may not do things the way you or others do but that’s ok. I have my own ways. Constructive criticism is always welcome though.

I’ll start with my loading so far and todays shooting event:

Caliber 9.3x62
Rifle: Blaser R8
Scope: Swarovski Z811.7-13.3x42P
Barrel Length: 22”
Brass Cases: Lapua
Bullet: 325gn Oryx
Primer: GM215M
Powder: RL-17
COAL to Lands: 3.474
COAL: 3.350” (picked randomly)

Charge WT. in GrainsFPS

Atmospherics: 28.24"HG, 36%RH, 86f

I have attached the predictions from QuickLoad, my notes from shooting and the target. All shots were at 100yds. Also after shooting I adjusted the temperature in QuickLoad to the actual temperature while shooting and noted QL's new velocities in my notes.
Next I think will be a OCW.
Until Then..

View attachment 418450View attachment 418451View attachment 418452
@dchamp
That's some serious hurt to put on an animal
I'm hoping to work up to 2,300fps with the 310s in the Whelen.
Bob

The 63 gr load is legal energy in Zimbabwe for buffalo (and elephant-although you would want solids for that). That is some good accurate work on the loading and documenting all your findings.

Last edited:
Are those velocities measured or a QL estimate?

I found in the past that QL is rather optimistic compared with actual velocity dope.

ive never had velocity dope compare well with vel data from QL
that’s been the case for 6.5 x 55, 9.3 x 62 and 404 j

Dchamp
I was wondering if you had any data with Rel 17 and 250 & 286 gr projectiles. I have some Rel 16 to try but there isn’t much data with that. Looking through a old
reloading manual I found one of the best powders they listed with the 286 gr was the discontinued Rel 12.

I've found RL-17 to be very good in the 9.3x74R as well. I think your velocities should be fairly close. In my Ruger #1 I was getting 2325 fps chrono'd avg. with the 325 Norma Oryx and 65 gr of RL-17 (bigger case so it makes sense that it takes more powder for the same velocity as the x62). (DO NOT try this load in a break-in-half rifle!) Recoil from the bench in a #1 is a little unpleasant. Accuracy was only 2" at 100 yd after trying a few powder and charge wt combinations, so I've abandoned the Oryx for now and settled on a 250 Accubond (opposite end of the spectrum, but the 1/2" accuracy is hard to beat).

Are those velocities measured or a QL estimate?

I found in the past that QL is rather optimistic compared with actual velocity dope.

ive never had velocity dope compare well with vel data from QL
that’s been the case for 6.5 x 55, 9.3 x 62 and 404 j
Yes, if you look at the hand written velocities at the top of the page those are recorded with a LabRadar. The velocities written below are QL estimated. After shooting I plugged the actual temperature during the shoot which adjusted the velocities.

I agree with you, QL can be off at times. Luckily This wasn't one of them.

Dchamp
I was wondering if you had any data with Rel 17 and 250 & 286 gr projectiles. I have some Rel 16 to try but there isn’t much data with that. Looking through a old
reloading manual I found one of the best powders they listed with the 286 gr was the discontinued Rel 12.
No sorry, this is the first time I've tried RL-17 in the 9.3x62. I can run QL for you if you give me a bullet, weight, seating depth and barrel length.

Yes, if you look at the hand written velocities at the top of the page those are recorded with a LabRadar. The velocities written below are QL estimated. After shooting I plugged the actual temperature during the shoot which adjusted the velocities.

I agree with you, QL can be off at times. Luckily This wasn't one of them.

they are great results then

I too use RL17 to great effect in 9.3 x62. I will also use it in 6.5 creed

404 Jeff gets Varget with my mono solids as they are “as long as a long thing” and case capacity becomes an issue

I like the idea also of having some 325 grain heavies in your 9.3 arsenal if you are out shooting for the pot and run into something with attitude

Last edited:
Dchamp
If you can give us seating depth/COAL and fired case capacity in grains of water, one of us can plug some numbers into QL for you I'm sure. You can then cross reference the chronographed velocities and charge weights with the expected results to verify that you're in safe territory pressure-wise.

I can offer a data point to help you develop a load. In my 9.3x74R I'm using 69 gr RL-17 with the 250 Accubond for 2570 fps @ 50F. The x62 has about 8% less case capacity than the x74R, so it should achieve the same velocity at higher pressure with less powder. I'm guessing you'll end up around 65-67 gr being near the top load, depending on seating depth and case brand. I'd start laddering from 60 gr in 1 gr increments and check velocities. Without a way to test pressure, 2550-2600 fps is probably a good conservative limit from a normal 22-24" barrel.

If you can give us seating depth/COAL and fired case capacity in grains of water, one of us can plug some numbers into QL for you I'm sure. You can then cross reference the chronographed velocities and charge weights with the expected results to verify that you're in safe territory pressure-wise.

I can offer a data point to help you develop a load. In my 9.3x74R I'm using 69 gr RL-17 with the 250 Accubond for 2570 fps @ 50F. The x62 has about 8% less case capacity than the x74R, so it should achieve the same velocity at higher pressure with less powder. I'm guessing you'll end up around 65-67 gr being near the top load, depending on seating depth and case brand. I'd start laddering from 60 gr in 1 gr increments and check velocities. Without a way to test pressure, 2550-2600 fps is probably a good conservative limit from a normal 22-24" barrel.
That would be great if someone could run the numbers for me over QL
COAL 3.550
Capacity 88.1 grains of water
CIP pressure level 64,000 psi
Barrel length 23”
Bullet weight 286 gr
Powder Rel 17
Please let me know if you need anything else.
Ken

That would be great if someone could run the numbers for me over QL
COAL 3.550
Capacity 88.1 grains of water
CIP pressure level 64,000 psi
Barrel length 23”
Bullet weight 286 gr
Powder Rel 17
Please let me know if you need anything else.
Ken
Could it be 78.1 grains of water? 88.1 grains seems outside the normal variation

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!