Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA (2), NZ (2), UK.
A lesson in poor shot placement.

This Large herd male was shot last August with my 9.3x62 using an experimental mono metal >250 grains. It was shot twice behind both shoulders. The first shot into the left side. The projectile proved too soft for Camels and only encountered the lungs.

This video is of the second shot into the right side. When it turns you can see the entry hole of the first shot.

It continued to walk off and my son dropped it with a raking heart shot using his .243 as I was out of ammo. .

1) Hit them in the shoulder.
2) After accuracy, penetration is the most important quality for a projectile.

I have since sold the 9.3 and prefer my 7x57.

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like it could be a fun archery hunt.

I bet those wild dogs are loving you guys for all that leftover camel!

Sounds like a cracking good trip!

Surely he didn't mean that the 7x57 is better than the 9.3x62. He may like it better for various reasons, but its surely a much lesser round. Sure cant blame the round for what appears to be lackluster performance. Either that or camels are tougher than anything that walks!

Hi Code4,

I know you've sold your 9.3x62 however;
Can you get 9.3 diameter 286 grain Swift A-Frames where you live ?
If so, I wonder how they'd do on camel at about 2350 fps.
I know Woodleigh bullets are made there and so I also wonder how their 286 gr "solid" would work on feral camels (or Woodleigh's 320 gr 9.3 solid at about 2125 fps for that matter).

Blah, blah, blah, out.
Velo Dog.

It was definantly the projectile. I have used that rifle in Africa for game up to Eland and for at least two trips after Camels. The Woodleigh 286 RNSP was the prefered projectile. It penetrated as much as the 286 PPSN and opened nicely.

I could not get enough ACCURATE velocity from the Woodleigh 320 PPSN for it to open or stabilise upon contact at ranges in excess of 100 metres. All recovered specimens were intact and had veered off from line of entry.

I prefer the 7x57 for all the good old reasons, I can place my shots better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg