9.3x62 vs 375H&H

Which is the better all around non Dangerous Game caliber for Africa?

• Total voters
I believe that the 9.3x62 may be legal for DG in a number of African countries. I’m no expert, and would like others to chime in to correct me, but a quick search seems to indicate that the 9.3x62 would be legal in:

Mozambique,
Benin,
Burkina Faso,
Cameroon,
Ethiopia,
Some provinces of RSA,
Zimbabwe,
Witold indicated Namibia but I find conflicting info on it.
I couldn’t find anything on Uganda

.375 appears to be the stated minimum in:

Tanzania,
Botswana,
CAR
Zambia
Some provinces of RSA

Again, the above is the result of a quick internet search, not a search of game dept regs. I’d be interested to see how correct this is.

WAB
You are correct, the 9.3 is legal in most of these countries. In Namibia, which was not mentioned it is also legal when loaded correctly to obtain the minimum required energy of 5400 joules. Easily done by modern powders. In South Africa eventhough not legal in some privinces, almost all farm owners will allow it on their farms for DG hunts in these "illegal" provinces.

So realistically, choosing a 9.3x62 vs a .375 limits you in Botswana, Zambia and Tanzania.

almost a year old but read the all the postings and it was a very interesting read! There is a custom 458 Win mag built on a pre 64 win action for sale here and i have the identical builds in 9.3x62 and 375hh. I take the 375 to AK for brownies and i use the 9.3 when hunting elk in the timber. I have not made my first trip to Africa....thanks covid.... but we are back on the planning and im on the April/May cancelation for 2022 so fingers crossed.

Truth be told the 9.3 is softer shooting but i do like my 375 HH! Thanks for all the great info and opinions gentleman, i can sit on this site for hours a night reading all the great postings!

Just read the whole thread & one thing I missed if it was mentioned is the .375 H&H Mag can easily be made into a 9.3X62 if you reload. Just use starting loads or just over starting loads & bingo you have a 9.3X62 with a slightly larger diameter bullet.
My shoulder not being what it was when I started using the .375, that's exactly what I'm going to do.

.375 Holland & Holland Magnum is the better choice, if dangerous game is on the menu. If no dangerous game is to be hunted, then either the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum or the 9.3x62mm Mauser will make splendid choices.

I still prefer the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum and 300 Gr Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw soft points as my all round African hunting combination ( barring elephants which require a good monolithic solid bullet such as Nosler 300 Gr Safari Solids ).

Just read the whole thread & one thing I missed if it was mentioned is the .375 H&H Mag can easily be made into a 9.3X62 if you reload. Just use starting loads or just over starting loads & bingo you have a 9.3X62 with a slightly larger diameter bullet.
My shoulder not being what it was when I started using the .375, that's exactly what I'm going to do.
That’s true. A 270 grain bullet at 2500 is very mild shooting.

375 is faster and larger diameter, therefore superior by a smidgen

Hmm which is a better NON DG caliber? Can I still vote for the .375 based on being able to load ridiculously high BC bullets in it and reach out to ranges most folks don't talk about for hunting? There's a few projectiles that really stretch the legs of the H&H if you can load them warmly.

Faster is in most cases not better on big game. There's a reason for 2400fps as being a recommended velocity. Best case the bullet will open more but due to more frontal area it'll penetrate less (same initial SD and bullet constrution). The difference in diameter is negligible.

Last edited:
So...if:

A. Your 9.3x62 is dead nuts accurate with 250 grain Nosler Accubond reloads (including from the sticks) and that's absolutely the rifle and load you plan to take for plains game Safari #1 next July... and

B. While Eland is not on the "primary" wish list, it is absolutely a Target of Opportunity. Cape Buff is not on the list either, but are in the area.

Would you go to the trouble of working up a load for the 286 grain A-Frame - just to have available? Something else? For discussion purposes assume the shooter and optics are capable of switching zeros (if even needed), on the fly - without a trip to the range. Bushveld distances.
Lets be realistic, well in my world realistic.
Taking an opportune shot at a Buffalo is not going to stretch your budget but 10% or anything manageable at all, we are talking doubling your trip cost. Thats for an international safari, for me as a local it will tripple or even quadruple the costs.
So if Buffalo are on the menu, load a good premium 286gr. If all you are going for is Eland then a 250gr Accubond in the right place will do. If I only had one rifle and had to use my 9.3 outside of the proper Bushveld I would probably load that same bullet to have a little more leeway at longer ranges by starting the bullet off quicker.

Faster is in most cases not better on big game. There's a reason for 2400fps as being a recommended velocity. Best case the bullet will open more but due to more frontal area it'll penetrate less. The difference in diameter is neglible.
I'd have to agree if it were a conventional bullet. For non conventional where I'm going to have blades and a penetrator flatter and faster are likely not a bad thing. So we can push the .375 300's faster than 2500 fps and get a performance increase for our troubles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg