9.3x62 vs 375H&H

Which is the better all around non Dangerous Game caliber for Africa?

• Total voters
@Forrest Halley
It might be 1mm shorter but it will push a big bullet very easily and comfortably to get the job done. The same goes for the Whelen. Both very capable rounds.
The As me are a bucket load shorter than the 06 but need I say more.
I know you like your 375s. They are good and just a bit better than the 9.3x62
Bob
Hey @Bob Nelson 35Whelen ,
I know you love the oddball underdog. It's literally a case of too late to the bus stop for me to play these games with the odd calibers. My Lott is odd enough for me at this point.
What are the "As me"?
Best,
Forrest

the 62 might be a little shorter overall case length, but the boiler room is a bit longer, due to a short neck on the x62.
bob could design a 35 super whelen improved on the x62 case and have even more value.
bruce.

Hey @Bob Nelson 35Whelen ,
I know you love the oddball underdog. It's literally a case of too late to the bus stop for me to play these games with the odd calibers. My Lott is odd enough for me at this point.
What are the "As me"?
Best,
Forrest
@Forrest Halley
Young Mr Halley it was supposed to be WSMs but out correct stuffed it up.
Now days the Whelen ain't no oddball underdog. It give a lot of the newer cartridges a shake up including the 338 win mag.
Have you read @badboy melvin article on why I won't defend the 458 any more. Very enlightening.
The Lott offers a lot more, not really, needs a mag length action, more powder more recoil more money for ammo and is usually loaded to not much more than the Winchester version.
Yes I do like reading old articles as well. They are very enlightening to see how things have changed but at the same time have remained the same. Also gives insight into people and there willingness to change and embrace the new or still push the old. Also people's philosophies on hunting and cartridges.
I am just about to read one on old heavy and slow versus light and fast. Should be interesting to see how people think now compared to 2009 and also 60 years or more ago.
Like you I joined the forum about 12 months ago and have learnt heaps from old and new articles and have a bucket load more to learn.
Do we really need all this new stuff, no, but it's fun learning, improving and trying while comparing it to the older stuff.
Just my thoughts from an old fart.
Bob

Seconded by an older fart (80). My only new caliber is a 6.5Cr. All my others are at least 60 years old. I think the newest of them is a 5.56. I haven't really seen anything new that my old guys can't do hunting wise. Granted, some of the new whiz pop ding dongs can shoot a mile or so but have no practical application. My old 308 and 06 can do pretty well at 1000 yards--just for fun. Kinda fun to read about the newbies, though.

When you take DG off the menu, that amounts to PG only and for that the .375 is not needed, so 9.3 is my choice.

When you take DG off the menu, that amounts to PG only and for that the .375 is not needed, so 9.3 is my choice.
I agree...to an extent.

The beauty of hunting Africa is the unexpected.
In other words...everything is on the menu.
We all have a wish list when we step off the plane.
But when we get into the bush, things can, and often do, change.
Seeing an incredible Sable, Roan or even a Black Wildebeest may alter your budget.
Same goes for "strictly" PG hunt and YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY NOT HUNT DG!!!
That is when the big daddy Scrum Cap Dagga steps around the corner.
It is funny (sometimes ironic) how opportunities can present themselves when hunting.

In my mind...
When the difference is so small, why would you limit yourself?
However, I will concede that where the 9.3 is legal for DG...take your pick.

I didn't vote. The OP's quantifier in his question is "for non-dangerous game". Both are most excellent. Both are "nostalgic" and "historic" calibers in Africa. There are slight ballistic capabilities differences between the two that is just enough to put the 375 H&H in the "legal for dangerous game" column in all African countries but not the 9.3x62. Only place it falls into the DG legal column is ZIM.

I didn't vote. The OP's quantifier in his question is "for non-dangerous game". Both are most excellent. Both are "nostalgic" and "historic" calibers in Africa. There are slight ballistic capabilities differences between the two that is just enough to put the 375 H&H in the "legal for dangerous game" column in all African countries but not the 9.3x62. Only place it falls into the DG legal column is ZIM.

I believe that the 9.3x62 may be legal for DG in a number of African countries. I’m no expert, and would like others to chime in to correct me, but a quick search seems to indicate that the 9.3x62 would be legal in:

Mozambique,
Benin,
Burkina Faso,
Cameroon,
Ethiopia,
Some provinces of RSA,
Zimbabwe,
Witold indicated Namibia but I find conflicting info on it.
I couldn’t find anything on Uganda

.375 appears to be the stated minimum in:

Tanzania,
Botswana,
CAR
Zambia
Some provinces of RSA

Again, the above is the result of a quick internet search, not a search of game dept regs. I’d be interested to see how correct this is.

WAB

I agree...to an extent.

The beauty of hunting Africa is the unexpected.
In other words...everything is on the menu.
We all have a wish list when we step off the plane.
But when we get into the bush, things can, and often do, change.
Seeing an incredible Sable, Roan or even a Black Wildebeest may alter your budget.
Same goes for "strictly" PG hunt and YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY NOT HUNT DG!!!
That is when the big daddy Scrum Cap Dagga steps around the corner.
It is funny (sometimes ironic) how opportunities can present themselves when hunting.

In my mind...
When the difference is so small, why would you limit yourself?
However, I will concede that where the 9.3 is legal for DG...take your pick.
It was not a what if scenario presented but rather "no" DG. IF there was DG involved or even the possibility, then sure; the .375. But that wasn't the question.

I grew up with a 375 as the farm rifle in the Tuli Block area of Botswana it served us well from steenbok to Eland ! Once we had to down a rogue Elephant . I now own 5 rifles in this caliber and 2 in 9,3x 62. If it’s going to be non DG I would lean towards the 9.3x62 it shoots like a 30-06 but performs like a 375! Wish we had this as the farm gun back was n the day...

I grew up with a 375 as the farm rifle in the Tuli Block area of Botswana it served us well from steenbok to Eland ! Once we had to down a rogue Elephant . I now own 5 rifles in this caliber and 2 in 9,3x 62. If it’s going to be non DG I would lean towards the 9.3x62 it shoots like a 30-06 but performs like a 375! Wish we had this as the farm gun back was n the day...
I agree with you John Telford. All the bees.

Lets approach it balistically . The 375 handload that is the most popular in the US and Africa is a 300 gr. bullet at 2500 FPS and the reason being its a better killer than the same bullet at 2600 FPS because bullets respond better internally on big game..

The 9.3x62 will give a 300 gr. bullet 2500 FPS loaded up to max with a handload only and for all practical purposes these two caliber are equal the 375 showing a larger cross section, the 9.3x62 shows better Sectional Density..

Ive used both on a number of Buffalo, Eland and Blue wilderbeest and other African Game and if there is any difference at all I can't tell..

All that said, Your always better off in most African countries because the 375 is the one thats legal in all of Africa, the 9.3x62 is not in some countries and only with handloads in some countries..and I must add whos checking in Africa? nobody!!

Both are very good rounds..I guess Id take the 375 for a number of reasons as its easier to find ammo and components in the bush or the far places of the earth, rifles in 375 are more abundant and its a tad better with both loaded to max and it ranges further on the plains.

But whichever you choose will get the job done with the right bullet. These which one is best blogs are never any thing more than someones opinnion, nothing more, nothing less..

So...if:

A. Your 9.3x62 is dead nuts accurate with 250 grain Nosler Accubond reloads (including from the sticks) and that's absolutely the rifle and load you plan to take for plains game Safari #1 next July... and

B. While Eland is not on the "primary" wish list, it is absolutely a Target of Opportunity. Cape Buff is not on the list either, but are in the area.

Would you go to the trouble of working up a load for the 286 grain A-Frame - just to have available? Something else? For discussion purposes assume the shooter and optics are capable of switching zeros (if even needed), on the fly - without a trip to the range. Bushveld distances.

So...if:

A. Your 9.3x62 is dead nuts accurate with 250 grain Nosler Accubond reloads (including from the sticks) and that's absolutely the rifle and load you plan to take for plains game Safari #1 next July... and

B. While Eland is not on the "primary" wish list, it is absolutely a Target of Opportunity. Cape Buff is not on the list either, but are in the area.

Would you go to the trouble of working up a load for the 286 grain A-Frame - just to have available? Something else? For discussion purposes assume the shooter and optics are capable of switching zeros (if even needed), on the fly - without a trip to the range. Bushveld distances.

Honestly, if you think you are going to get into that class of animal, I’d work up loads for the A-Frame and leave the 250s at home. The 286 A-Frame will do everything you need at bush distances.

9.3x62 bullets- I was given 286g Hirtenburger H mantel bullets to try out by fellow PH in Limpopo. This is all he uses as his Bushveld plains game combo and after 30 years swears by this. I think it’s because he shoulders a 1938 single square bridge mauser...I‘M in the process of freshening up a Well used Mahillion 9.3 x62 to use as my Bushveld non DG carry gun but truth be told it will be difficult to leave the Musgrave 375 in the safe..

Honestly, if you think you are going to get into that class of animal, I’d work up loads for the A-Frame and leave the 250s at home. The 286 A-Frame will do everything you need at bush distances.
I agree, keep it simple.
Pick one load for the 9.3 or 375 and stick with it.
SAF's, Barnes TSX and Norma Oryx are all premium softs.

I have a coupe of .375's, but on my last safari I took two rifles, a double for the dangerous game and a 9.3x62 for everything else. I like the light weight, easy handling and lighter recoil of the 9.3, and because of that I shoot it well. It worked perfectly for the big antelope and also for very large and heavy giraffe. I don't desire more long range ability than it can offer and don't need more power for hunting non-dangerous game. And if for some reason my double rifle was not in hand and something big and dangerous needed sorting out, I wouldn't feel unarmed with the 9.3.

I didn’t vote as I think both are probably the best two all around calibers you can carry. Having said that, the 375 H&H is the one to take for DG as it’s legal for that everywhere. The 9.3 is legal some places, but not all, so why take it for that purpose when it might land you in trouble (not worth it). Going on my first Africa hunt in April, this one for PG. I’m taking BOTH :) I know I’ve been told to only take one rifle but I really want to take game with both of these beautiful rifles I’ve acquired so going to put up with the hassle of two rifles this time. I’m taking a Rizzini 9.3x74R O/U double rifle and a Weatherby Ultramark 375 H&H. In the 9.3 going to be using Norma 230 grain Ecostrike ammo and in the 375 H&H going to be using either 250 grain TTSX or 270 grain TSX Barnes ammo (not sure which yet but probably the 270 grain). Kudu, Gemsbok, and Impala are on the hunt list, but something else might pop up and feel either rifle will do just fine. I’m a big fan of my 9.3 but that rifle is what I consider at 200-250 yard gun while the 375 H&H is more in the 300-350 yard (400 if pushed) arena. Depending on where and what we are going after each day will determine which of the two I take. Going to have a great time and take some nice critters no matter which one I’m carrying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg