9.3x62 Sizer Die Setup / New CZ American

shootist~

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, USPSA Certified Range Officer (inactive), NRA Certified Instructor (inactive)
Hunted
USA, Mexico, RSA
Getting ready to start load development on a new CZ 550 American in 9.3x62. :)
Standard FL RCBS dies, Lapua Brass and a box of factory Lapua (220 mono metal) ammo arrived today. Along with some 250 gr Nosler AB's and 232 gr Norma Vulkan bullets.

I typically use the Hornady Cartridge Headspace tool to get a feel for the shoulder setback measurements and then shoot for about .002" of cartridge headspace at the shoulder when sizing fired brass.

There is no bushing that works for the 9.3 in the standard Lock n Load kit and none available that I can find.

What do most re-loaders do (Re: shoulder setback) for the 9.3? Sounds like it might just be a "seat of the pants" thing like we did before such measuring tools were available??

The CZ has 04 proof marks (I'm assuming this is the date of manufacture). It has some handling storage marks on the wood, but appears to be un-fired.

CZ 550 American 9.3x62.jpg

I usually back off the die so it only sizes 3/4 down the neck and see if will chamber, and then screw it down from there so the bolt will close. You will find that some brass is already pushed back to far and will just have to shoot like that. Good luck, 9.3 is a great caliber

Thanks. I was wondering what to watch out for, if anything, with such a small shoulder. Not excessively setting back the shoulder seems to be more critical with the 9.3.

I set up the sizer to moderately touch the ram, with a .003" shim underneath, to do the factory new Lapua brass. I'll start with a thicker shim with fired brass and work down from there.

I shot 15 rounds of 232 gr reloads and 5 factory 220s this morning with not horrible results. :) I think it's going to be a fun project. Hopefully it will go to Africa with me (Lord willing), next year.

What will you be hunting? I had the exact same rifle and it shot 250 Accubond's and RL 15 really well. Try some RL 17 is you want top velocity, do a search and you will find some info on that.

@neckdeep

If my current year Limpopo plains game hunt is cancelled (almost a certainty), I'll try for next year (same place same time). Eland was not on this years wish list, but it will be an added animal for next year if the opportunity presents. Otherwise BWB, Zebra, Nyala, Bushbuck, Gemsbok and Kudu.

I have some 250 gr Accubonds to try. Currently using less expensive Norma 232 gr Vulkans with IMR 4064 just for break in and to get used to shooting a bigger bore.
I do have a good bit of RL17 on hand and might give it a go at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois