9.3x62 plains game

Absolutely you can always load the 9.3 x 62 faster than the .35 Whelen. The one caveat is that these loads shouldn't be fired in all the old mausers floating around out there. But these old African rounds aren't all about that. IMO the traditional loads were and are good enough.
What this discussion is forgetting is the historical effectiveness of "those old mausers floating around" on everything including buffalo and elephants. This caliber really doesn't need more speed to be effective, only better hunters and marksman.

What this discussion is forgetting is the historical effectiveness of "those old mausers floating around" on everything including buffalo and elephants. This caliber really doesn't need more speed to be effective, only better hunters and marksman.

Got a box of 230gr Eco-strike for next season and I'll be loading some 250gr E-tip as well. Then again, moose is barely large game. What I wonder is if bullet like A-frame in 250gr or 286gr have much difference in performance loaded to similar energy level. Lighter should do wider wound and less penetration but how much exactly? How large does the animal need to be for the heavier bullet result in faster killing through shoulder?

I’d like to see Norma offer a 230 or 250 grain Bondstrike and Tipstrike in 9.3x62, I think these would be an excellent PG, medium-large game round, probably really good on big bear as well. They offer the Oryx and Vulcan in 232 grain, so they are already loading 9.3x62 in this weight range. Going to give the Eccostrike a go as well. It’s gotten some good reviews.

Thanks for the heads up. One issue is that I live in Canada, and importing rifles from the US is a pain. I will check it out though. There is a company here that imports guns and parts into Canada called GunRunner.com. I am not sure how they work but I need to check this out. I would prefer a CRF 35Whelen simply because you can get lighter bullets more easily and still have access to say 250 gr or more. The 9.3x62 is more restricted. Also I have a good supply of components and dies for the 35W. But after reviewing information on this thread I think I have to consider a 9.3x62 if it is a CZ or M70. After my experience with the Nosler I am going to stay with well proven brands based on a modern CRF action.

Try Prophet River out of Loydminester to import into Canada, I’ve had good luck with them, IRunguns leaves a bit to be desired.

I
Try Prophet River out of Loydminester to import into Canada, I’ve had good luck with them, IRunguns leaves a bit to be desired.
I just bought a very nice looking new model 70 Super Grade in 3006. I'm going to have the barrel switched to 35W. Should be awesome!

I’d like to see Norma offer a 230 or 250 grain Bondstrike and Tipstrike in 9.3x62, I think these would be an excellent PG, medium-large game round, probably really good on big bear as well. They offer the Oryx and Vulcan in 232 grain, so they are already loading 9.3x62 in this weight range. Going to give the Eccostrike a go as well. It’s gotten some good reviews.
I think 9,3x62 might be coming but probably not this year.. They just announced 6.5mm swede and creedmoor Bondstrikes and 9.3x62 Oryx Silencer though but it's the boring usual 18.5g Oryx with slightly hotter load intended for short barrels. Would be interestng to see Accubond vs Bondstrike side by side in gelatine.

Members who are not familiar with South African premium core -bonded bullets /solid bullets maybe worth your while are bullets from Hansie Minnaar , owner of Stewart core -bonded bullets , it really performs just great...absolute designed for the South African hunting environment. If members are interested to make use of these bullets let me know so I can pm you Hansie Minnaar`s contact details...he is making excellent drawn brass for any caliber/even absolute calibers especially for the double rifle owners ....for example he has draw brass for my Martini-Henry as well as for my 1871 Mauser black powder rifle...

The 9.3x62 is claimed by some to compare to the 35 Whelen, and that's just wrong, like Peirre van der Walt states its as much compared to the whelen as damn is to cussing..A better comparison is the 375 Ruger or Holland, with a 300 gr Sierra at 2400 to 2500 fps, its just that few have reloaded for the cartridge in the US and are passing on gossip..Im torn between the .338 Win and the 9.3x62, have been for years..but for RSA mountains and Plains Id opt for the 338, and for bushveld the 9.3x62, and see no need for the 300 wby but if it blows your skirt up it will dang sure work..Just that Africa has seldom required me to make those 400 yard shots and most phs will insist on getting you closer and they will do that.

The 9.3x62 is claimed by some to compare to the 35 Whelen, and that's just wrong, like Peirre van der Walt states its as much compared to the whelen as damn is to cussing..A better comparison is the 375 Ruger or Holland, with a 300 gr Sierra at 2400 to 2500 fps, its just that few have reloaded for the cartridge in the US and are passing on gossip..Im torn between the .338 Win and the 9.3x62, have been for years..but for RSA mountains and Plains Id opt for the 338, and for bushveld the 9.3x62, and see no need for the 300 wby but if it blows your skirt up it will dang sure work..Just that Africa has seldom required me to make those 400 yard shots and most phs will insist on getting you closer and they will do that.
@RayAtkinson
The 35 Whelen has been under loaded since Remington made it legitimate. When loaded properly it is the full equal of both the 9.3x62 and the 338.
A properly loaded WHELEN is capable of
2,850 fps with a 225grain accubond
2,700 fps with a 250 grainers and
Over 2,200 fps witha 300 grainer
So to me it's cussing to say the good old Whelen is not as good as the other 2.
Bob

Aren’t they just different? The 9.3 comes into its own with its traditional 286 gr bullet. I’ve never owned a Whelen (my bad), but it looks incredible with 225’s and 250’s. Looks to me like they’re both great cartridges that hit their respective sweet spots with different bullet weights.

@RayAtkinson
The 35 Whelen has been under loaded since Remington made it legitimate. When loaded properly it is the full equal of both the 9.3x62 and the 338.
A properly loaded WHELEN is capable of
2,850 fps with a 225grain accubond
2,700 fps with a 250 grainers and
Over 2,200 fps witha 300 grainer
So to me it's cussing to say the good old Whelen is not as good as the other 2.
Bob
Goooo Bob! Saved me the trouble...

Aren’t they just different? The 9.3 comes into its own with its traditional 286 gr bullet. I’ve never owned a Whelen (my bad), but it looks incredible with 225’s and 250’s. Looks to me like they’re both great cartridges that hit their respective sweet spots with different bullet weights.
@WAB
Even loaded with the 275gn Woodleigh or the 280gn swift Aframe @ close on 2,500 fps it is fully the equal of both the 9.3 and 338.
Bob

ray,
getting 2400 to 2500 out of a x62 with a 300 gn bullet might be stretching the friendship.
2400 maybe, but not 2500.
the x64 will easily do 2400 with the 300 swift, being light loaded, and 2520 is not a hot load.
you can tell the difference in recoil between the 2 loads.
at 2520 this load comes close to the 2 375s you mention, and I have shot camels with it head to head with a 375 and cannot tell the difference.
with a 286 gn swift, the x64 seems to be as powerful and has a greater point blank range.
I do not think the x62 or the whelen are in this zone.
the x64 has the range of the 338 win mag, and the power of a 375 in a 30/06 length action.
what is not to like?
truth be known, they are all fine cartridges in their own realm.
bruce.

A lot say the 9.3x62 is the equivalent of a 375H&H. Not so on paper and by some that have used both. Now if you want to talk 9.3x64 at proper 64 power then you have something that is a 375H&H equivalent, just .009" smaller. as a Whelen is .008" smaller than a 9.3

A lot say the 9.3x62 is the equivalent of a 375H&H. Not so on paper and by some that have used both. Now if you want to talk 9.3x64 at proper 64 power then you have something that is a 375H&H equivalent, just .009" smaller. as a Whelen is .008" smaller than a 9.3

I doubt the animals hit by any of these, 9.3x62/9.3x64/Whelen/375, using their standard loads would notice any difference between them inside 200-250 yards. If you want to reach out further, then use one of the magnums to retain down field energy. I don’t shoot past 200-250 98% of the time, so any of these fine calibers would work for me, though I’m a fan of the 9.3x62.

I doubt the animals hit by any of these, 9.3x62/9.3x64/Whelen/375, using their standard loads would notice any difference between them inside 200-250 yards. If you want to reach out further, then use one of the magnums to retain down field energy. I don’t shoot past 200-250 98% of the time, so any of these fine calibers would work for me, though I’m a fan of the 9.3x62.
+1

.... IMHO the 9.3x62 is the better cartridge :A Stirring:

Last edited:

Well a bloke I know (small sample size) has used the 375H&H and 9.sx62 extensively on pigs, scrub cattle & wild horses. His view is the 375H&H knocks them quicker and harder than the 9.3x62 and says you can see the difference when hit. So, no the 62 is not the same as a 375H&H. The 64 which sends the rounds down range a bit quicker than the 62 is most certainly as good as the 375H&H.

Now I like the 35Whelen but there is no way I would say it is as good as a 375H&H on bigger animals. A deer is not big game, they are medium game, a bear or elk, scrub cattle are where big game starts to me. Yes the 62 can (in some areas) and has been used on Elephant without a problem. I am not condemning the 62 just pointing out it is not a 375H&H/Ruger.

My point in showing the difference in bullet diameters is to show there is not much difference between them in size of hole put in the animal. It is bullet design and momentum that will give penetration. The bigger the hole the more trauma and blood loss which is what we are after for a quick clean kill. Talking medium and big game here.

Well a bloke I know (small sample size) has used the 375H&H and 9.sx62 extensively on pigs, scrub cattle & wild horses. His view is the 375H&H knocks them quicker and harder than the 9.3x62 and says you can see the difference when hit. So, no the 62 is not the same as a 375H&H. The 64 which sends the rounds down range a bit quicker than the 62 is most certainly as good as the 375H&H.

Now I like the 35Whelen but there is no way I would say it is as good as a 375H&H on bigger animals. A deer is not big game, they are medium game, a bear or elk, scrub cattle are where big game starts to me. Yes the 62 can (in some areas) and has been used on Elephant without a problem. I am not condemning the 62 just pointing out it is not a 375H&H/Ruger.

My point in showing the difference in bullet diameters is to show there is not much difference between them in size of hole put in the animal. It is bullet design and momentum that will give penetration. The bigger the hole the more trauma and blood loss which is what we are after for a quick clean kill. Talking medium and big game here.

Not disagreeing with you that a 375 H&H has more power than a 9.3x62, it’s a magnum vs a non magnum, however all of theses calibers have plenty of power inside 200-250 yards to get the job done very effectively on pretty much anything, assuming equal shot placement and quality bullet. If I was hunting outside that distance, I’d take the magnum every day of the week. All these calibers would work perfectly well on hogs, elk, cattle, bears, lions, tigers, leopards, jaguars, cougars, moose, bison, any deer, etc. Now for something the size of an elephant, while these would all work, you may want an even larger caliber, but that’s personal preference I guess.

Not disagreeing with you that a 375 H&H has more power than a 9.3x62, it’s a magnum vs a non magnum, however all of theses calibers have plenty of power inside 200-250 yards to get the job done very effectively on pretty much anything, assuming equal shot placement and quality bullet. If I was hunting outside that distance, I’d take the magnum every day of the week. All these calibers would work perfectly well on hogs, elk, cattle, bears, lions, tigers, leopards, jaguars, cougars, moose, bison, any deer, etc. Now for something the size of an elephant, while these would all work, you may want an even larger caliber, but that’s personal preference I guess.

the 9.3x63 mm or 9.3x74R or the 375H&H or 375 Flanged magnum will get the job done on everything up and including elephant with a well placed and premium grade bullet if the shooter does his part. The difference comes when the first shot does not go where it is supposed to and you need to sort out the paw paw that hit the fan.....

I would use the mentioned calibers without hesitation on the largest elephant bull if I was the hunter taking the first shot, if I had to follow up on one wounded by somebody else I would only use my 500 Jeff and my tracker will be carrying my 375 H&H.....

No substitute for first shot placement, this is not drag racing.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg