9.3x62 plains game

Finally got my 9,2x62 R8 yesterday. I have to say there's a kick. At least compared to my +5kg/11lb 6,5x55 I shoot exclusively with suppressor. I had tried to gauge the recoil comparing it heavy loads on light shotgun but it isn't exactly comparable. Shotgun easily makes shouder hurt but the overall experience isn't as violent. Somehow the comb rises with recoil and feels like getting slapped on cheeck which I haven't experienced even with 338LM. Off hand the face slapping was less of an issue so I'm willing to put some blame on poor shooting support and position on bench but at least part of the experience might be due to coarse surface of the professional stock.

Weirdly my 100m off hand grouping went immediately from 40cm to 20cm despite the heavier recoil. Still lot of room for practice but short rifle and good trigger sure helps a lot. Long range shooter in me really itches to slap on a bipod and shoot a plate at 500m with it..

I'm planning on using 230gn Eco-strike on Moose next fall. 250gn E-tip and TTSX are also in consideration. I've got multiple sources for loading 250gn bullets up to 830m/s (2720fps). Eco-strike measures only 2540fps out of 20" barrel, so there's something to gain with hand loading. For usual dog hunting distances closer to 20 than 100 meters I don't think it matters but there are places where it might be useful to be able to shoot bit farther.

Samu, have you put your rifle on a scale to see what it weighs? Also, does it come with a 1" thick recoil pad of soft construction? The Europeans seem to be into hard rubber pads.

Samu, have you put your rifle on a scale to see what it weighs? Also, does it come with a 1" thick recoil pad of soft construction? The Europeans seem to be into hard rubber pads.
Around 9.3lbs with scope, suppressor etc. Recoil pad fits the description. Shoulder contact wasn't an issue though, just the slap in the face part really.

I'll have to try and get back on the range this week. They're planning on new restrictions that would put every shooting range in region outside of the corona-blockade for me. Particularly frustrating since the ranges are deserted at this time of the year anyways and I don't have to meet or go near anyone for that. Meanwhile government is arguing if closing bars would be unconstitutional since people seem to be unable to stop from going there despite the recommendations.

Well, weight certainly isn't the problem. I think 8 - 8 3/4 pounds is about right for that caliber. Someone more knowledgeable than I will have to weigh in on why you are getting face slap.

Love my R8 in 9.ex62 very accurate no face slap and mine are loaded a to little higher velocity but no pressure signs

Well, weight certainly isn't the problem. I think 8 - 8 3/4 pounds is about right for that caliber. Someone more knowledgeable than I will have to weigh in on why you are getting face slap.
postoak
Sounds like a stock fit issue to me. I once had a single barrel 410 shotgun that used to belt me up the chops every time I pulled the trigger. An adjustment with a wood rasp fixed the problem.
I would recommend being that drastic but I would get the stock fit checked.
My Whelen weights 9 pounds and with a muzzle brake using the 250 grain Speer hotcore at 2,700 fps the recoil is more like my son's 308. My stock is a standard savage/Stevens and seems to direct the recoil straight back with virtually no muzzle rise.
Cheers mate Bob

I'll have to try and strip the gun from all accessories for couple shots just out of curiosity. Either way, I did want a gun with bit more punch and something I might need to get used to. The stock is Professional with adjustable comb so there's little fitting to be done. One thing that might explain was the pillars of the comb were slightly loose. I only noticed after I got home from range. I'll definitely take another go wih it before making any further judgement.

Finally got my 9,2x62 R8 yesterday. I have to say there's a kick. At least compared to my +5kg/11lb 6,5x55 I shoot exclusively with suppressor. I had tried to gauge the recoil comparing it heavy loads on light shotgun but it isn't exactly comparable. Shotgun easily makes shouder hurt but the overall experience isn't as violent. Somehow the comb rises with recoil and feels like getting slapped on cheeck which I haven't experienced even with 338LM. Off hand the face slapping was less of an issue so I'm willing to put some blame on poor shooting support and position on bench but at least part of the experience might be due to coarse surface of the professional stock.

Weirdly my 100m off hand grouping went immediately from 40cm to 20cm despite the heavier recoil. Still lot of room for practice but short rifle and good trigger sure helps a lot. Long range shooter in me really itches to slap on a bipod and shoot a plate at 500m with it..

I'm planning on using 230gn Eco-strike on Moose next fall. 250gn E-tip and TTSX are also in consideration. I've got multiple sources for loading 250gn bullets up to 830m/s (2720fps). Eco-strike measures only 2540fps out of 20" barrel, so there's something to gain with hand loading. For usual dog hunting distances closer to 20 than 100 meters I don't think it matters but there are places where it might be useful to be able to shoot bit farther.

I am curious samu is your R8 a wood stock or a synthetic stock. I have an R8 synthetic stock and haven't experienced the recoil that you describe. With mine it just comes straight back. I find the recoil to be something like a .300WM.

I load the 250gr TTSX in mine(22"barrel) at around 2550-2580 f/s. 2720 f/s seems to be a stretch to me. Not saying your not doing it, just saying I haven't seen it. I would be interested in what that load would be.

With factory ammo in my rifle I am getting about 2650 f/s with the 230gr EcoStike and only 2415 f/s with the 250gr Lapua Naturalis. Both shoot well though.

I hope you are able to get things worked out, the R8 is a exceptional platform.

question what is the 9.3x62 comparable to in US designation?

The .35 Whelen. That said, the latter is just a little less potent. Not by much, but a little. It's a .30-06 necked up to .35 caliber. Using European nomenclature, it would be a 9 x 63mm. Actual 9mm bullets are .356 caliber. The .35 caliber rifle rounds are .358 caliber. In comparison, the 9.3mm Mauser round is as I understand it .366 caliber.

Standard factory loads place the Whelen behind the Mauser. But the Whelen can be hand/custom loaded up to the point that game animals wouldn't notice the difference.

BTW, I have a .35 Whelen, which I had custom built some years ago for elk and moose hunting. I plan on bringing it on my hunting trip to Africa along with a .30-06.

Regarding that Weatherby, if you're hunting open range areas, that's fine. But if you're going to be in the bushveld, there's no point. The magnums are overkill unless you need the extra range. You'll find the consensus is ranges in the bush seldom exceed 250 yards. That being the case, you're best off with more moderate velocity cartridges with heavy bullets.

My other choice would be an 8 x 57 Mauser.

I am curious samu is your R8 a wood stock or a synthetic stock. I have an R8 synthetic stock and haven't experienced the recoil that you describe. With mine it just comes straight back. I find the recoil to be something like a .300WM.

I load the 250gr TTSX in mine(22"barrel) at around 2550-2580 f/s. 2720 f/s seems to be a stretch to me. Not saying your not doing it, just saying I haven't seen it. I would be interested in what that load would be.

With factory ammo in my rifle I am getting about 2650 f/s with the 230gr EcoStike and only 2415 f/s with the 250gr Lapua Naturalis. Both shoot well though.

I hope you are able to get things worked out, the R8 is a exceptional platform.
Stock is synthetic and came from Blaser with adjustable comb which I keep adjusted pretty much as high as it goes to get my eye lined up with the scope. Combined to play in the pillars could easily explain the issue.

About the loads. You've had good luck with your barrel apparently, not everyone has gotten the advertised MV out of Eco-strike. I hesitate to post load data, specially one I have not tested myself, but to give some kind of idea, some of the anecdotal reference points have been 70gn of VV N550, 66gn of VV 540. Magnum primer in most cases, some loads require vibrating to fit the powder in case and over CIP OAL with longer bullets.

Before anyone gets worried I will start from minimum table loads or use QL to figure out safe starting point and will use healthy dose of self preservation instinct in the process. Getting bit more performance by load development is hobby on its own but in the end probably most sensible way would be to buy box of Eco-strike and reconsider when I need to buy more.

The .35 Whelen. That said, the latter is just a little less potent. Not by much, but a little. It's a .30-06 necked up to .35 caliber. Using European nomenclature, it would be a 9 x 63mm. Actual 9mm bullets are .356 caliber. The .35 caliber rifle rounds are .358 caliber. In comparison, the 9.3mm Mauser round is as I understand it .366 caliber.

Standard factory loads place the Whelen behind the Mauser. But the Whelen can be hand/custom loaded up to the point that game animals wouldn't notice the difference.

BTW, I have a .35 Whelen, which I had custom built some years ago for elk and moose hunting. I plan on bringing it on my hunting trip to Africa along with a .30-06.

Regarding that Weatherby, if you're hunting open range areas, that's fine. But if you're going to be in the bushveld, there's no point. The magnums are overkill unless you need the extra range. You'll find the consensus is ranges in the bush seldom exceed 250 yards. That being the case, you're best off with more moderate velocity cartridges with heavy bullets.

My other choice would be an 8 x 57 Mauser.
ILCAPO
Just load the Whelen with 225gn accubonds or partitions. Either Nosler custom loads or put a healthy dose of Varget behind one using Nosler load data and go have fun for anything you hunt. If you want more oomph load either 250grain Speer hotcore or nosler partitions using Speer reloading site. If you want extreme penetration go a woodleigh 225grain hydrostatic stabilized. That will ream a brontosauras out from end.
The Whelen is truly remarkable and underrated. It will do more than the 9.3X62 will ever do. You can't load handgun projectiles in it like you can the Whelen for cheap practice or for use by the grand kids.
Cheers mate Bob

Simply a beautiful rifle complimented with beautiful trophies!! :)

Thanks Timbo. She is a pleasure to carry and shoot.

bob, my old whelen was an m17 in a fajen stock, barrel rebored by sprinter.
the hillver bridge mount was arc weld tacked to the action.
it was also one of those that had suspect heat treatment.
normally I would not have touched it with a bargepole for that reason, but it had had the 06 barrel shot out safely.
I used to call it "my weatherby", but it ended up just being called "Roy"
bruce.

Face slap issue solved. Loose comb piece was probably contributing factor but after I raised the comb and had more pressure on cheek it went away. About 50 shots more today and I'm starting to feel pretty comfortable already.
lqOipwml.jpg

100m 5 shots prone with backpack as support.

Attachments

• lqOipwml.jpg
    lqOipwml.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited by a moderator:
bob, my old whelen was an m17 in a fajen stock, barrel rebored by sprinter.
the hillver bridge mount was arc weld tacked to the action.
it was also one of those that had suspect heat treatment.
normally I would not have touched it with a bargepole for that reason, but it had had the 06 barrel shot out safely.
I used to call it "my weatherby", but it ended up just being called "Roy"
bruce.
bruce moulds
I have an M17 35 Whelen AI that I am selling at the moment. It has a pepper laminate stock from Boyds, timney trigger and a 25 inch Douglas air gauged competition barrel with custom muzzle brake and threaded protective cap. Nice accurate rifle but I don't need 2 Whelens. It also has the Redding AI dies and 60 fire formed cases..
Cheers mate Bob

If it does not feed it is a rifle problem not an ammunition problem. In your case it sounds like the feeding ramp may need some work done.

Affect the range? 286 grn is the standard bullet weight for that caliber. It has more than enough range for the animals you mention. 36 grn less is not going to effect the range in any way. If you want lighter bullets at higher velocity, step down in caliber, many available.

I am always amazed that so many hunters buy excellent calibers and then attempt to hot rod them by dropping bullet weight.
I could not agree more. Especially concerning a caliber with the history of success owned by the 9.3x62 for over 100 years. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

Got a box of 230gr Eco-strike for next season and I'll be loading some 250gr E-tip as well. Then again, moose is barely large game. What I wonder is if bullet like A-frame in 250gr or 286gr have much difference in performance loaded to similar energy level. Lighter should do wider wound and less penetration but how much exactly? How large does the animal need to be for the heavier bullet result in faster killing through shoulder?

9.3x62 will be perfect for those animals and will surely not disappoint and create and amazing hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg