9.3x62 Penetration On Large Game

@shootist~
I used 225 grain accubonds on plains game in a 35 Whelen and only recover 1projectile all the rest were thru and thru.
Bob
Righto , Bob. Your posted result on the Kudu is one of the reasons I like them for my 2021 Limpopo hunt.

What was the retained weight on that 225?

Righto , Bob. Your posted result on the Kudu is one of the reasons I like them for my 2021 Limpopo hunt.

What was the retained weight on that 225?
@shootist~
It think it was around 175 grains but that was after a he'll of a lot of penetration. On my black wildebeest at around 180 yards on a quatrtering soft it was a thru and thru with an inch hole on the way out. I ran 10 yards and piled up.
Bob

Thanks for the reply. If I was going to hunt "Africa" then yes I agree that a superior quality bullet is needed. I wanted something for Deer, Bear, Moose, etc.
For deer, bear and moose I would recommend Nosler 250 grain accubonds. Haven't recovered one yet but haven't had to track anything either. Good hunting.

imho, sierra bullets are too soft. have shot some in 7mm mag a few in 338 win, my impression/opinion, they are too soft. i talked to a tech at sierra 25+ years ago, said they should bond their bullets after a failure of their 175 gr 7mm bullet. the techs comment was, did it kill the deer, then good enough.

bullet fell apart, not good enough for larger or tougher game. think about the money they could have made if they had offered accurate bonded bullet!!!

The Sierra bullets do tend to come apart at high velocity. Not really a problem at 9.3x 62 speeds. Would be fine for deer and all but the largest bears. For moose I still recommend the 250 grain accubonds.

imho, sierra bullets are too soft. have shot some in 7mm mag a few in 338 win, my impression/opinion, they are too soft. i talked to a tech at sierra 25+ years ago, said they should bond their bullets after a failure of their 175 gr 7mm bullet. the techs comment was, did it kill the deer, then good enough.

bullet fell apart, not good enough for larger or tougher game. think about the money they could have made if they had offered accurate bonded bullet!!!
Maybe that’s why Sierra bought Barnes through the Remington bankruptcy proceeding? Hopefully, they’ll keep manufacturing Barnes bullets but will probably have the Sierra brand attached to them somehow.

that 175 gn 7mm sierra would be one tough bullet in a 7x57, and too much bullet for light game in a 7 mag.
that is the thing with cup and core, you really have to match up game, velocity etc.
my use of the 300 gn 375 bullet on donkeys proved a perfect match in the 375 h&h.
massive expansion and fairly good weight retention, and all bullets recovered were under the skin on the opposite side, whatever the angle of the shot.
nosler partitions have never done as well for me.
i would not recommend sierras for really big or dangerous game, but where they shine they really shine.
bruce.

that 175 gn 7mm sierra would be one tough bullet in a 7x57, and too much bullet for light game in a 7 mag.
that is the thing with cup and core, you really have to match up game, velocity etc.
my use of the 300 gn 375 bullet on donkeys proved a perfect match in the 375 h&h.
massive expansion and fairly good weight retention, and all bullets recovered were under the skin on the opposite side, whatever the angle of the shot.
nosler partitions have never done as well for me.
i would not recommend sierras for really big or dangerous game, but where they shine they really shine.
bruce.
The bullet jackets are thicker on Sierra’s .375 bullets. Don’t know where the cut off is for calibers below that though?

@TOBY458
Especially if things go pear shaped. A lot of buff were killed with the old 303 and 215 grain solids. When my father was hunting buff in the 40s he would belt them behind the ear with it. He also used the 303 ion crocodiles to good effect.
He must of had good nerves as well a t touch of crazy to go with it as he use to crawl through lignum tunnels after pigs armed with a Webley 455 and a tomahawk.
When he ran out of bullets for the 455 he would belt the pigs in the head with the tomahawk. He was one crazy bastard.
Bob
Bob,
I, and I’m sure many others here, would like to see a hunting video of the tunnel crawling after pigs. I thought maybe you could recreate it for us using a Go Pro camera when going through the tunnel? If you can’t find a Webley, a Smith .44 Mag or a Ruger .454 Casull would work. Also, if you can’t find a Tomahawk handy to bring with, you could always use one of Von Gruff’s Bowie knives? I think it would be a great video of hunting techniques from the bygone days.
CEH

Bob,
I, and I’m sure many others here, would like to see a hunting video of the tunnel crawling after pigs. I thought maybe you could recreate it for us using a Go Pro camera when going through the tunnel? If you can’t find a Webley, a Smith .44 Mag or a Ruger .454 Casull would work. Also, if you can’t find a Tomahawk handy to bring with, you could always use one of Von Gruff’s Bowie knives? I think it would be a great video of hunting techniques from the bygone days.
CEH
@CoElkHunter
Mate 40 years ago maybe but now at 62 you would have 3 hopes of me doing it.
Your hope
Bob hope
No bloody hope.
Bob

@CoElkHunter
Mate 40 years ago maybe but now at 62 you would have 3 hopes of me doing it.
Your hope
Bob hope
No bloody hope.
Bob
Ha! Ha! Yes, you and me both! Maybe we could find some unsuspecting young buck to try it? Ha! Ha! Anyway, your father was one tough SOB to do that.
CEH

Ha! Ha! Yes, you and me both! Maybe we could find some unsuspecting young buck to try it? Ha! Ha! Anyway, your father was one tough SOB to do that.
CEH
@CoElkHunter
I think there was a little bit of insanity as well. Not exactly my idea of fun
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg