9.3x62 Penetration On Large Game

@TOBY458
If'n you want extreme penetration for the big stuff get some Woodleigh hydrostatic stabilized projectiles for your 9.3.
Loaded up 10 of those as well as your plains game cartridges.
The hydros will have more than enough penetration for what you need.
Bob
Some have found out that the H`s go through both of a cape buff shoulders and kill the one behind it too. I have used them successfully on big sambar deer with minimal meat loss.

You're correct in thinking that I already knew what the answer was. I was just hoping to hear some first hand experience, and maybe see some pictures of animals taken and bullet performance.
And.....I'm just trying to get my mind around taking something to Africa that's smaller than a 375 H&H.
@TOBY458
Have a look at the article hydros in smaller calibers very interesting.
Bob

@TOBY458
I enjoyed your article on the hydros. I've even heard of someone using a 30/30 loaded with hydros on water buff with success. I don't know if I would chance it.
Bov
A 150gr Hydro at 2300fps would probably penetrate enough, but I'd definitely want more velocity.

A 150gr Hydro at 2300fps would probably penetrate enough, but I'd definitely want more velocity.
@TOBY458
Especially if things go pear shaped. A lot of buff were killed with the old 303 and 215 grain solids. When my father was hunting buff in the 40s he would belt them behind the ear with it. He also used the 303 ion crocodiles to good effect.
He must of had good nerves as well a t touch of crazy to go with it as he use to crawl through lignum tunnels after pigs armed with a Webley 455 and a tomahawk.
When he ran out of bullets for the 455 he would belt the pigs in the head with the tomahawk. He was one crazy bastard.
Bob

bob, so how come you turned out so staid?
bruce.
@bruce moulds
Me what do you mean t hat certainly isn't a description of me.
More like grumpy, argumentative, politically incorrect, a pain in the arse and with firm opinions of right and wrong as well as a licensed gun toting greenie. Oh I forgot ugly as sin to go with it. And they are my good points.
Bob

The 9.3x62 mm Mauser is an exceptional penetrator . I have personally hunted Markhor goats and Australian sambhar deer with one ( employing 286 grain Nosler Partition soft nosed factory loads ) .

The late Don Heath used his 9.3x62 mm Mauser ( a Dumoulin Mauser Model 98 with a detachable drop box magazine and a kevlar stock ) to secure six one-shot kills on African elephant bulls and 48 one-shot kills on African Cape buffalo . He preferred Woodleigh 286 grain round nosed steel jacketed solid and Ken Stewart 286 grain soft nosed hand loads .

well sambar must be very easy to kill.
the 286 gn nosler in 9.3mm has let me down more than any nosler in any other calibre.
other bullets have proven far more reliable, both in straight line penetration and killing power.
this bullet is the reason i nearly gave up on the 9.3mm, but luckily i gave the calibre one more chance with something better.
the old gun writers have a lot to answer for with this bullet, and their only excuse can be that there were less choices in those days.
urban myth is a great and comforting thing, but reality is far more useful.
bruce.

The 9.3x62 mm Mauser is an exceptional penetrator . I have personally hunted Markhor goats and Australian sambhar deer with one ( employing 286 grain Nosler Partition soft nosed factory loads ) .

The late Don Heath used his 9.3x62 mm Mauser ( a Dumoulin Mauser Model 98 with a detachable drop box magazine and a kevlar stock ) to secure six one-shot kills on African elephant bulls and 48 one-shot kills on African Cape buffalo . He preferred Woodleigh 286 grain round nosed steel jacketed solid and Ken Stewart 286 grain soft nosed hand loads .
Cant argue with that!

well sambar must be very easy to kill.
the 286 gn nosler in 9.3mm has let me down more than any nosler in any other calibre.
other bullets have proven far more reliable, both in straight line penetration and killing power.
this bullet is the reason i nearly gave up on the 9.3mm, but luckily i gave the calibre one more chance with something better.
the old gun writers have a lot to answer for with this bullet, and their only excuse can be that there were less choices in those days.
urban myth is a great and comforting thing, but reality is far more useful.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
You should have given up on the 9.3 and got a real caliber like the 35 Whelen. It's never let me down even with accubonds and woodleigh projectiles. No follow ups needed just pull trigger and pick up dead animal.
Bob

Not a big fan of the Nosler partitions. Deadly on thin skinned game and highly recommended for cats (because the front half literally blows up) but otherwise best avoided. The Swift A frame is a much tougher bullet and one which is much better suited to African game.

but the aframe expands fast as well, so it has a frontal area early.
and it penetrates straight.
so it will also handle lighter bodied game too.
like i have said before, the partition is a good bullet to make a bigger gun into a smaller one.
they handle small game very well due to the weak nose.
when the nose blows off it often turns the bullet in a different direction on big boned animals, but does tremendous damage on lighter ones.
what is left when the nose has gone is light and small diameter so not all that effective, but by then the damage is done to smaller animals..
some still rate the partition with the swift, but in doing so admit to not seeing the difference.
if i wanted a bullet for all game up to but not including big stuff in 375 i would take the 300 gn sierra before the nosler.
if only sierra would make a 286 gn 9.3 version of that bullet.
bruce.

Not a big fan of the Nosler partitions. Deadly on thin skinned game and highly recommended for cats (because the front half literally blows up) but otherwise best avoided. The Swift A frame is a much tougher bullet and one which is much better suited to African game.
@Daga Boy

What is your view on the Nosler Accubond, specifically the 250 grain 9.3mm?
Better than the Partition, or about the same in regards to penetration and terminal effects on large plains game?

Ballistically, due to the high BC, it adds considerable range (to 300 yards or so) to the slow moving 9.3x62. And recoil with the 250 is very manageable, meaning accuracy (for me) is quite good.

@Daga Boy

What is your view on the Nosler Accubond, specifically the 250 grain 9.3mm?
Better than the Partition, or about the same in regards to penetration and terminal effects on large plains game?

Ballistically, due to the high BC, it adds considerable range (to 300 yards or so) to the slow moving 9.3x62. And recoil with the 250 is very manageable, meaning accuracy (for me) is quite good.
@shootist~
I used 225 grain accubonds on plains game in a 35 Whelen and only recover 1projectile all the rest were thru and thru.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg