9.3x62 Penetration On Large Game

I would say perhaps "inspired by" rather than "based off". The Base, Rim and Shoulder diameters are different, so you can't really form a 404 case into either of the Ruger cases.
The same goes for the WS(S)M families of cartridges, the Nosler 26,28 etc. I believe that the only true children of the 404 J are the Dakota proprietary cartridges, and the 400 Tembo.
Ok. Thank you very much for the info. I was just curious as I thought I had read that somewhere, but obviously I was mistaken AGAIN.

Ok. Thank you very much for the info. I was just curious as I thought I had read that somewhere, but obviously I was mistaken AGAIN.
Sure thing. You are actually wrong again - you will read this "fact" not just 'somewhere', but almost everywhere. :)

Pretty soon this "fact" will attributed to Mark Twain...

Btw, the 333 Jeffery is also based on the 404, and the less known 280 Jeffery as well.

Sure thing. You are actually wrong again - you will read this "fact" not just 'somewhere', but almost everywhere. :)

Btw, the 333 Jeffery is also based on the 404, and the less known 280 Jeffery as well.
Cool to know! Thanks!

Great! I will look at the x64. All new to me! Thanks!

The great challenge with the x64 is finding ammo for it. Even finding brass for it can be something of a challenge.

Shooting 250 gr bullet out of a 9.3x62, it's ballistically in the same territory as 338 WM shooting 250s, with a slight nod to the 338 in MV, BC, and SD.

I have a 9.3x62. Haven't killed anything with it yet, though not for want of effort.

I will pick up my new Sako 85 in 9.3x62 tomorrow. I plan to use it as my plains game rifle, and possibly Buffalo if the occasion should arrise.
My question is, how does the 9.3 compare to larger calibers when it comes to penetration on Large animals like, Buffalo, Eland, Hippo, and even Elephant.
Does it offer enough penetration to comfortably take a frontal chest shot on a Cape Buffalo? How about a frontal brain shot on an Elephant?
I know this all depends on the bullets being used, but let's just say they're all using Barnes TSX, Swift A Frame, or something similar. Or solids on Elephant.
Also, how does it do on Lion with lighter weight bullets?
My new rifle is going to be lightweight and handy to carry on all day hunts. I look forward to shooting it and learning more about this legendary caliber.
Talking from my own experience at age 64 and having hunted over 30 game species in Africa alone including several elephants and buffalo. I own a 9,3x74R double which is basically the ballistic twin. I would not hesitate to use it on any plains game. I have not used it on buffalo, but I was in camp with two other hunters with 9.3's and they both killed buffalo with out any trouble. One hunter was a expert and killed many buffalo and just wanted to try out this caliber for the first time 9.3x74R and the other hunter was a first timer with a 9.3x62, an older man but he got the job done too. Most of the African game I've shot was with a 375 H&H but I have also use 416 Rigby, 450/400 3" Nitro Express, 460 Wby Mag, .500 Jeffery, .500 Nitro Express and a 300 Win Mag, well I did do one handgun hunt with a 7mm TCU and killed a Kudu with it. I have shot 5 buffalo , 2 were frontal shots one with a .416 Rigby I had hand loaded 400gr Barnes TTS at 2550 FPS the bullet went through him lengthwise and found fully mushroomed under the skin of his hind quarter, he took 2 steps and gave me a broad side shot so I put a solid through his shoulders and he went down. The other frontal shot was with a 375 H&H and a 300 gr Swift A-Frame, dead center of his heart from the front he went about 75 yards. Shot a another buffalo the same day with a 450/400 double , broadside smashed his shoulder and he went about 75 yards too. I've shot other Buffalo with the 375 H&H and also a 460 Wby Mag. I do feel that the 9.3 and the 375 H&H do work OK on buffalo but I think the .416 is the ideal buffalo caliber. You spend a lot of hard earned money to hunt Africa and if you are only going once or maybe just a few times and dangerous game is on your list, then I would prefer to use a .416 or nothing smaller then a 375 H&H. The 9.3 will do the job of Buffalo but it's a slim margin for error. I don't think a quartering shot with a 9.3 would be wise unless you were using solids and then ?? But I think the 9.3 is fine for the biggest plains game except Giraffe unless you use solids. They have an incredible thick hide over 2" thick, even my 419 loaded with 400 gr Barnes TTS would not exit a broadside shot. If you are talking elephants, well I have only shot 2, one frontal brain shot and one hart shot. Both with a .500. I missed the brain with the first shot but that 570 gr solid transferred enough energy where it knocked him down and I was able to get in a follow up shot as he was starting to get back on his feet, had that been a 9,3 or 375, he may have been lost. The other elephant was hart shot and he dropped to his knees, got up and went about 30 yards. I don't think a 9.3 could have done that either.

The great challenge with the x64 is finding ammo for it. Even finding brass for it can be something of a challenge.

Shooting 250 gr bullet out of a 9.3x62, it's ballistically in the same territory as 338 WM shooting 250s, with a slight nod to the 338 in MV, BC, and SD.

I have a 9.3x62. Haven't killed anything with it yet, though not for want of effort.
Thanks! Yeah, maybe I'll stay with my .338 and .375 for now. I can find ammo everywhere here for those, and the gun shows have good deals on ammo sometimes. I bought a box (last one) of .375 h&h Hornady 270gr. PSP Superformance for $50.00. The gentleman was attempting to sell a Remington 700 in .375 for his friend who had an Alaskan hunting trip planned, but was seriously injured in a motorcycle accident and couldn't go. So sad! I bought the last box of ammo from him. I've also specifically seen .416 Rem and .458 WM (older Win. 510gr softpoints) ammo at the same show for $60-$70 a box? Inexpensive for practicing gun handling and timely sight acquisition ? Anyway, I don't own either of those calibers, just an observation on ammo availability where I live. Btw, Midway USA has Norma .416 RM 400gr. solids on sale right now for $42.00/box (half price)? Just thought I'd throw that out there?

I'm fully awake now and just got it! Ha! Ha! Ha! That's great! Yes, it's amazing what FACTS you can read in a hunting magazine or articles through the internet that maybe are an "urban" legend, but just not true. Thanks!

Thanks! Yeah, maybe I'll stay with my .338 and .375 for now. I can find ammo everywhere here for those, and the gun shows have good deals on ammo sometimes. I bought a box (last one) of .375 h&h Hornady 270gr. PSP Superformance for $50.00. The gentleman was attempting to sell a Remington 700 in .375 for his friend who had an Alaskan hunting trip planned, but was seriously injured in a motorcycle accident and couldn't go. So sad! I bought the last box of ammo from him. I've also specifically seen .416 Rem and .458 WM (older Win. 510gr softpoints) ammo at the same show for $60-$70 a box? Inexpensive for practicing gun handling and timely sight acquisition ? Anyway, I don't own either of those calibers, just an observation on ammo availability where I live. Btw, Midway USA has Norma .416 RM 400gr. solids on sale right now for $42.00/box (half price)? Just thought I'd throw that out there?

In my view, 9.3x62, like 30-06, is a Jack-of-all-Trades. It does a great many things reasonably well. Also, both ammo and brass are widely available, at least on-line. You sure won't see any in your local Wally World or Academy or Dick's. And probably not at Cabella's/Bass Pro.

338 WM is an excellent cartridge with a well-deserved great reputation. But 9.3x62 just says "Africa."

Last edited:
In my view, 9.3x62, like 30-06, is a Jack-of-all-Trades. It does a great many things reasonably well. Also, both ammo and brass are widely available, at least on-line. You sure won't see any in your local Wally World or Academy or Dick's. And probably not at Cabella's/Bass Pro.

338 WM is an excellent cartridge with a well-deserved great reputation. But 9.3x62 just says "Africa."
I agree with "sgt_zim".

Yep, just checked on line with Midway USA. They have a number of choices for factory 9.3x62 crtridges and a smaller selection of 9.3x74, but NO 9.3x64? Strange?

Agree. I have both a 30-06 and a 9.3x62. The 9.3 is very popular here in SA as a bush rifle...

I predict you will like it when you do...

Talking from my own experience at age 64 and having hunted over 30 game species in Africa alone including several elephants and buffalo. I own a 9,3x74R double which is basically the ballistic twin. I would not hesitate to use it on any plains game. I have not used it on buffalo, but I was in camp with two other hunters with 9.3's and they both killed buffalo with out any trouble. One hunter was a expert and killed many buffalo and just wanted to try out this caliber for the first time 9.3x74R and the other hunter was a first timer with a 9.3x62, an older man but he got the job done too. Most of the African game I've shot was with a 375 H&H but I have also use 416 Rigby, 450/400 3" Nitro Express, 460 Wby Mag, .500 Jeffery, .500 Nitro Express and a 300 Win Mag, well I did do one handgun hunt with a 7mm TCU and killed a Kudu with it. I have shot 5 buffalo , 2 were frontal shots one with a .416 Rigby I had hand loaded 400gr Barnes TTS at 2550 FPS the bullet went through him lengthwise and found fully mushroomed under the skin of his hind quarter, he took 2 steps and gave me a broad side shot so I put a solid through his shoulders and he went down. The other frontal shot was with a 375 H&H and a 300 gr Swift A-Frame, dead center of his heart from the front he went about 75 yards. Shot a another buffalo the same day with a 450/400 double , broadside smashed his shoulder and he went about 75 yards too. I've shot other Buffalo with the 375 H&H and also a 460 Wby Mag. I do feel that the 9.3 and the 375 H&H do work OK on buffalo but I think the .416 is the ideal buffalo caliber. You spend a lot of hard earned money to hunt Africa and if you are only going once or maybe just a few times and dangerous game is on your list, then I would prefer to use a .416 or nothing smaller then a 375 H&H. The 9.3 will do the job of Buffalo but it's a slim margin for error. I don't think a quartering shot with a 9.3 would be wise unless you were using solids and then ?? But I think the 9.3 is fine for the biggest plains game except Giraffe unless you use solids. They have an incredible thick hide over 2" thick, even my 419 loaded with 400 gr Barnes TTS would not exit a broadside shot. If you are talking elephants, well I have only shot 2, one frontal brain shot and one hart shot. Both with a .500. I missed the brain with the first shot but that 570 gr solid transferred enough energy where it knocked him down and I was able to get in a follow up shot as he was starting to get back on his feet, had that been a 9,3 or 375, he may have been lost. The other elephant was hart shot and he dropped to his knees, got up and went about 30 yards. I don't think a 9.3 could have done that either.
New to AH. Never hunted in Africa. Killed several elk, deer and pronghorn in Colorado and Wyoming. Like everyone else (or almost everybody), I've read Capstick's African hunting adventure books. Unless I'm mistaken, Capstick states that he hunted PG and almost everything else with 300gr SOLIDS in his .375 h & h? Why? Lack of good performing soft points at the time? Good chance of needing the solids for something nasty while hunting PG? I believe a 270gr SP vs. a 300gr solid in .375, have negligible drops in trajectory differences at most realistic hunting ranges? You are obviously a seasoned African/DG hunter, so I was just curious? I would never (can't in Colorado) use solids on an elk, deer or pronghorn. They would probably (?) work, but why would one want to use them?

Makes sense! Also, how many EXTRA .338WM rounds could you find if you needed them while hunting in Africa? I guess if I ever have the chance to hunt in Africa, I'll bring my .375 and maybe something bigger too? Buffalo? I probably would never use one hunting in Africa (or anywhere else for that matter), but I've always thought about owning a .458 WM (I know it's not a Lott). But, just to hunt with something different and maybe more challenging, I could handload 350-400gr bullets and hunt elk with it? My hunting buddy has a .45-70, so what the heck? Then again, maybe not! His .45-70 (18.5" barrel) has more recoil than my .338! Maybe, I'll just stick with the .375 for everything? Just rambling!

I heartily agree that the 9.3×62 is extremely versatile. Bullets between 193 and 325 gr gives you plenty of options. The only thing it may lack is long range capabilities - but ... who needs to shoot their bear/boar/kudu at 300 meters?

I would say that it is not only reasonable - but close to optimal - for larger/softer game at short/medium distance. Bear at 15 - check. Boar at 30 - check. Moose at 100 - check.

Last edited:
Makes sense! Also, how many EXTRA .338WM rounds could you find if you needed them while hunting in Africa? I guess if I ever have the chance to hunt in Africa, I'll bring my .375 and maybe something bigger too? Buffalo? I probably would never use one hunting in Africa (or anywhere else for that matter), but I've always thought about owning a .458 WM (I know it's not a Lott). But, just to hunt with something different and maybe more challenging, I could handload 350-400gr bullets and hunt elk with it? My hunting buddy has a .45-70, so what the heck? Then again, maybe not! His .45-70 (18.5" barrel) has more recoil than my .338! Maybe, I'll just stick with the .375 for everything? Just rambling!

Not having been yet, I can't say for certain. But I'd bet 9.3x62 would be easy-ish to come by in Africa. It was invented for use there, after all, and it's a fairly popular European cartridge as well. Lots of cartridges have come and gone in the last 120 or so years. 9.3x62 is still hanging around. For a reason.

I think you'd do fine with the 375 for everything. But what fun is that??? :sneaky:

You hurt my feelings Toby! I do use my 375 for everything (in Africa, ie).:whistle:

For sure the 9.3 will handle most game, I own one and I have been in camp with 2 other hunters who took both buffalo and plains game. I think it fine, a bit less powerful the the .375 H&H which I have used extensively on 3 continents. On elephants I opted to use my .500 and on buffalo I shot the most of them with a .375 but also have use a .416 rigby and a .460 Weatherby. I thing the .416 or .400 caliber rifles are king for buffalo. It's fun to use as many different calibers as you can. I have 6 rifle cable of taking elephant and have only shot 2 and don't think I'll be shooting any more but who knows. I'm on a small bore kick right now, still trying to use as many different guns on different game as i can , I did use a .375 Ruger on a nice 6x7 Elk last Sep, got a 300 yard shot off the sticks and it did a fine job. Some guys stick with the same one or very few guns but half the fun is trying new guns and different bullets. My opinion on best calibers and best bullets changes constantly as I gain more experience. But one thing is sure you won't go wrong with a .375 and probably the 9.3 too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg