9.3x62 or 300 Weatherby for African Safari

B9.3

AH veteran
Reaction score
I am seeking opinions from experienced African Hunters on which rifle to take on my first safari. I am interested in Kudu, Oryx, Sable in fact all of the large Antelope types and Zebra. I have a CZ550 9.3x62 with a 3-9x Zeiss Conquest and a Mark V 300 Weatherby with 3.5-10 VX-3. Also recommended projectiles for calibre of choice, I am a handloader of many years.. All input very welcome..:confused:

Beau 416,

Your .300 Weatherby Magnum Mark V is ample and a full rifle for your safari and for the game on your hunt list. Take 180 & 220 grainers PSPs and HPs. May you bag fine trophy heads .

Happy Hunting

Monish

Beau416..................I am sure you know that either one will do the trick. Two good rifles, scopes and cartridges. The .300 Roy would be a better choice for hunts where you were expecting long shots. If you are expecting shots to be 250 or less then I would say what ever.

Since you are a handloader ..................... lots of choices. I personally would go with a premium bullet, I always do, just in case. Nosler Partition, Accubond, the great Barnes TSX, Swift A-frame, North Fork's great bullets. There are lots of choices of good bullets that will do the trick on antelope 400 to 800 pounds. But I am sure you know that.

Hi beau416
if I have to hunt with only one rifle it will be a 300 Weatherby, in Africa or europe or where ever there is something to hunt. A killing machine !!!!!!! you must not be worry with.
Enjoy your hunt..

Thanks Folks, I am not surprised at all, the 300 Weatherby has been awesome on all my hunts for Sambar Deer, with the 180gr CT Partition Gold. It simply drops them, often on the spot, but they have all been dead on their feet even if they move some.. Alas that beautiful projectile is no more as a component.. A serious workout with 180gr TSX and A-Frames coming up..

Let me disagree with the rest ... i am european and in loved with old traditional european calibers, and you should remember that 9,3x62 was specifically designed in Germany for the German Farmers in Africa, specific to hunt big antelopes. Slow heavvy bullets, with awesome results in the african game, when you usually will not be shooting really long distances.

Your CZ 550 in 9,3x62 would be my personal selection... indeed i will go to South Africa next July, and one of my hunting buddies will bring a brand new CZ 550 in this same caliber.

Jose

I agree with Jose, but it all depends on where you are are hunting. In my opinion the 9.3x62 is a bushveld calibre and the 300 is more of a kalahari-freestate calibre. So i would say if you are hunting bushveld take the 9.3x62 because it is a slow heavy bullet and perfect if you have some bush to shoot through. If you are hunting vast open plains then i would take the 300. I hunt everything here in SA with my .375, from klipi to buff., But i have just bought myself a 416 to do all my hunting with because i am a big believer in over-kill. I also shoot an 80 pound bow 610 grain arrows which shoots through a high density foam butt, and is also over-kill for anything i shoot with it here.

I would go with the 9.3X62 as well. Overkill is a good thing when you are paying for blood. I made a similar post on rifle battery. I was convinced to take my .416 over my .338WM.

Wack & Stack!

Thanks friends for your reply to my question. I love both of these rifles and I'm buggered if I can see any difference in killing power between them, which does prove the point that a premium projectile in the right place does the job. I am currently experimenting with A-Frame, TSX, Woodleigh, Partition and Accubond in both the 300 Weatherby and the 9.3x62. I would hunt the world with either. I wish that the CT Partition Gold was still available as a component, in the 300 it was simply devastating. It killed Sambar deer dead on their feet instantly. PLEASE BRING THEM BACK..

Both more than acceptable as long as you use the right bullet with proper construction..The Wby has the range advantage, but the 9.3x62 is awesome with a 320 gr. Woodleigh at 2450 FPS in the thick stuff. I would be perfectly happy with either one. I am not particular on caliber but I am avid on proper bullet construction for the intended use.

Both more than acceptable as long as you use the right bullet with proper construction..The Wby has the range advantage, but the 9.3x62 is awesome with a 320 gr. Woodleigh at 2450 FPS in the thick stuff. I would be perfectly happy with either one. I am not particular on caliber but I am avid on proper bullet construction for the intended use.

I agree defintely with Ray. Caliber is more or less a "free" choice, because you can do the job quite well with both calibers... BUT the correct bullet selection is a MUST. Any caliber with a wrong bullet will send you to the failure.

African big game is though, really hard to kill. No comparison with an american whitetail or black bear... neither with a european red deer or mouflon. African game need premium bullets in any caliber to do the job; core bonded or controlled expansion... bullets with good penetration which have a high weight retention ... even with some less expansion.

That is the best advice i can give to you
Jose

Both are more than adequate for PG.

My first PH had a .300 Weatherby with 200 partitions and lived in the Free State where ranges are long. I have used a 9.3x62 and 286 Woodleighs in the Bushveldt.

I would match the rifle to where you are hunting. If you are takeing shots up to and over 300yards use the Roy. If less than 200, IMO the 9.3x62 will perform better.

The vast majority of African hunting is bush veldt with close to medium shooting ranges (with the odd long shot) and similar to Sambar type conditions.
My vote goes to the 9.3x62 as it has served me well for many years.
For Projectiles for the Game of interested; Woodleigh "Protected Points" in 286grn with 250grn for Gemsbok (Oryx) if not hunted in Bush Veldt.

The question becomes which of your 2 fine rifles do you have the greater confidence in. Both will do the job if you do your part. Many on this forum are well acquainted with the weatherby and know of it history.

In my opinion i would take the rifle that i had the best confidence in out to 300 yards. I am un-aware of any ranges that offer obstacles that you have to shoot through or thread the needle so to say.

If you are going to be in the bushy stuff or open veldt or a mix that will help you make your selection.

Just my 2 cents i would take the rifle that shoot the heaver bullet. but again a well constructed bullet.

My vote for the 9.3x62, as most shots are taken within 100 meters.

9.3x62

I think it may be worthwhile to add my 2 cents worth.
I believe I can almost certainly claim that I was the first to start shooting 200gr expanding monometal bullets out of the 9.3 some 10 years ago.
The ballistics are very similar to a .308 using a 143 grain bullet and so is the accuracy - about 18mm at 100m although I recently produced 22mm at 300m!
The 200gr bullet in front of 63gr of S335 gives me an MV of 2850 f/s - zeroed at 100m my drop at 200 is 10cm and at 300 its 40cm
The thing that I like about this combination are its terminal ballistics - they always make you look good.
I am not a member of the magnum club: Increasing velocity to shoot flatter is great but is it necessary at the ranges we shoot at?
Once you are beyond Point Blank Range you have to know your bullet drop and it doesnt matter what it is as long as you know what it is.

I am also not a fan of heavy bullets for antelope - lighter, well constructed bullets that make a hole through both sides do as good a job as heavier bullets.
I can never understand why the .30 cal users want go beyond 150 gr bullets for antelope unlees they are using cheaper jacketed bullets of course!

In the final analysis, killing aninimals is about making big and deep enough hole in the right place - and the 9.3 fits those criteria very well.

I agree with Jose, but it all depends on where you are are hunting. In my opinion the 9.3x62 is a bushveld calibre and the 300 is more of a kalahari-freestate calibre. So i would say if you are hunting bushveld take the 9.3x62 because it is a slow heavy bullet and perfect if you have some bush to shoot through. If you are hunting vast open plains then i would take the 300.

Absolutely spot on. I have used a 9.3x62 in Africa and my 1st P/H in the free state had a .300 Roy. Where you hunt will determine which to take as they both achieve the same result differently. IMNSHO Use a 286 Woodleigh RNSP in the 9.3 and a 180 Woodleigh PPSN in the .300 Roy. Kudu, Oryx and Sable are well within both rounds capabilitys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg