9.3x62 cape buffalo

A lot of the 9.3x62 argument for accuracy and finesse applies to the 375 Flanged Magnum too. It if course ticks the '375 minimum' box too. I have never understood why this cartridge is not better liked, it seems the ideal for a light double with an on-off light scope or red dot sight. It is very hard to find 375 Flanged ammo in South Africa.

Ammo and components (if one reloads) for .375 Flanged is very hard to find in the States as well. That was part of the reason I had Heym build me a 9.3x74R instead of .375 Flanged.

Ammo and components (if one reloads) for .375 Flanged is very hard to find in the States as well. That was part of the reason I had Heym build me a 9.3x74R instead of .375 Flanged.
According to ammoseek.com I can pick up a lifetime supply of brass for .375 Flanged.
Which makes 9.3x74R vs .375 Flanged considerations even more interesting...

According to ammoseek.com I can pick up a lifetime supply of brass for .375 Flanged.
Which makes 9.3x74R vs .375 Flanged considerations even more interesting...
It is not so much of dilemma for someoneike you and I in the double double club, but for someone wanting a double for mainly PG with an occasional buff that 375 label is pretty useful in Africa. And if you choose a Heym light frame you can carry it all the way over.

No doubt, no other case is better suited to an ejector than a rimmed one.

But my Brno O/U double in .375 H&H ejects it's belted cases with authority, you can kill the man standing behind you with.

I have seen .375 belted Heym doubles, doing similar.

And the performance of the belted .375 in the field is simply to good, that there is no space for a Flanged.

HWL
It is a reasonable argument @HWL, but two different double manufacturer's advised me against it, and in favour of the flanged option instead. One said "it works, but I can't guarantee it will work every time". I suppose the question is, has anyone ever had a failure to eject? And if they did, was it even an issue? It surely would only matter if it was on that very rare occasion when you were facing a charge after firing the first two barrels. Personally if one makes the argument that it is better to go on up from the 375 flanged to the 375 H&H in a double you may as well just go to the 450/400. Now you have something that is elephant capable too and it is even available in the light frames to boot. That is the decision path I took, I had even ordered the 375 Flanged in the light frame, but changed it for the 450/400.

It is a reasonable argument @HWL, but two different double manufacturer's advised me against it, and in favour of the flanged option instead.
The message of this two double manufacturers is clear ......their ejectors would not work flawless with belted cartridges.

But this does not mean, other company's also wouldn't.

Another ejector gun I remember is a Krieghoff O/U double in .458 Win-Mag that worked fine.

I am with you, that the rimmed/flanged cartridge is the better design for this purpose, but I love my Brno O/U, and unteachable I am.

:cool:

HWL

You missed out on the big sale on Norma 375 FL brass awhile back. It sold for $9.99 per 30 rounds. And they had plenty of it.

9.3x62 is legal on private land in SA, and apparently up to the task as history supports. Not legal for buff in SA non-private land, or in Namibia (375 plus power) and in Zim it is legal on calibre but short on power, but it is used here nevertheless.
Good luck with your hunt.
Hi Kevin.

Not entirely true. I hunted a cape buffalo legally in Namibia's Caprivi region last year in July. Like you said minimum energy requirements apply.

Hi Kevin.

Not entirely true. I hunted a cape buffalo legally in Namibia's Caprivi region last year in July. Like you said minimum energy requirements apply.
I ran some load calculations in GRT for the 9.3x62mm/286 grain bullet for both 5,300 and 5,400 joules using RL-17. 5,300 joules was straightforward to attain using a case capacity of 75 grains H2O. However, for a load of 5,400 joules I'd likely switch to a case with 76 grains capacity.

I ran some load calculations in GRT for the 9.3x62mm/286 grain bullet for both 5,300 and 5,400 joules using RL-17. 5,300 joules was straightforward to attain using a case capacity of 75 grains H2O. However, for a load of 5,400 joules I'd likely switch to a case with 76 grains capacity.
I used 64.5 grains of RL-17 to attain 2500fps+ with 286gr A-Frame's, Norma brass.

I used 64.5 grains of RL-17 to attain 2500fps+ with 286gr A-Frame's, Norma brass.
@Oelof
Just out of curiosity, did any local officials question you on this load or request that it be shot over a chronograph for confirmation?
Or, is this something that just needs to be worked out with the PH beforehand?
Thanks, in advance.

Reactions: IvW
No one will question you. Where 9.3 is the minimum bore size, the 9.3x62 will be accepted. No one is running a chrono to check your loads.

@Oelof
Just out of curiosity, did any local officials question you on this load or request that it be shot over a chronograph for confirmation?
Or, is this something that just needs to be worked out with the PH beforehand?
Thanks, in advance.
Hi Randy.

No officials asked any questions regarding caliber or energy. I dont think as mentioned that they would even have a chrony. Karl, the owner of Ndumo explained that if a buffalo was wounded and never found, some uncomfortable questions might get asked.

Hi Randy.

No officials asked any questions regarding caliber or energy. I dont think as mentioned that they would even have a chrony. Karl, the owner of Ndumo explained that if a buffalo was wounded and never found, some uncomfortable questions might get asked.
My circle of PH friends say that things would get rocky if you used a sub legal and there was an accident of some sort, for example game wounded that then hurt or killed someone.

My circle of PH friends say that things would get rocky if you used a sub legal and there was an accident of some sort, for example game wounded that then hurt or killed someone.
Exactly!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tope

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!