9.3x62 cape buffalo

John Wasmuth

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Spoke yesterday morning to my potential PH in RSA via messaging about plains game and a Cape buffalo. He advised that I could use my 9.3x62 for PG and Cape Buffalo in the area he operates with out hesitation and it’s the perfect all around caliber with the proper loadings of course. Time to start the ball rolling!

9.3x62 is legal on private land in SA, and apparently up to the task as history supports. Not legal for buff in SA non-private land, or in Namibia (375 plus power) and in Zim it is legal on calibre but short on power, but it is used here nevertheless.
Good luck with your hunt.

I have a very small data set, one Cape buffalo shot by my wife using a 9.3x62. The 286 gr A-Frame at 2450 fps knocked it clean off it’s feet. It got up, ran 100 yards, and tipped over dead. Penetration was outstanding, results were decisive.

Have fun preparing for your hunt!

Oh, and Kevin is right, strictly speaking the 286 gr bullet should be traveling at 2480 fps to meet the Zim energy requirements.

I get an average of 2550 fps with both PPU 285’s and 286 gr hornady, which I have a ton of on hand waiting on the A Frames to arrive, using 59.3 gr of Power Pro 2000 MR or 60 gr of Big Game. Now just get a back problem sorted out and get ready.

I get an average of 2550 fps with both PPU 285’s and 286 gr hornady, which I have a ton of on hand waiting on the A Frames to arrive, using 59.3 gr of Power Pro 2000 MR or 60 gr of Big Game. Now just get a back problem sorted out and get ready.
I defiantly suggest using the 286grn A-Frame. My rifle using Ramshot Big Game and the A-Frames shoots ragged 1 hole groups. For backup shots i tried to get Woodleigh Hydro solids but no luck. Nosler has a 286grn flat nose mono metal solid that works very well. There is also the Barnes Banded solid if you can find them. Best of luck on your hunt!!

I defiantly suggest using the 286grn A-Frame. My rifle using Ramshot Big Game and the A-Frames shoots ragged 1 hole groups. For backup shots i tried to get Woodleigh Hydro solids but no luck. Nosler has a 286grn flat nose mono metal solid that works very well. There is also the Barnes Banded solid if you can find them. Best of luck on your hunt!!
I plan on the A Frames. For solids I have Barnes banded 286 grain bullets that shoot same point of impact at the same velocity. It will be a while before we go so I’ll have time to test everything and get my back fixed.

I plan on the A Frames. For solids I have Barnes banded 286 grain bullets that shoot same point of impact at the same velocity. It will be a while before we go so I’ll have time to test everything and get my back fixed.
Very god sir. Looking forward to a report on your trip.

Just to offer another option …

I’ve used286gr Nosler Partions and Nosler Solids with success. Yes the partitions are a little softer but they have worked for me.

I have also used and love the Barnes TXB and Barnes Solids at 250gr with a velocity of 2575fps. I’ve switched to this and it’s my one load for everything medicine now.

Apparently 375 is the minimum legal caliber in Northwest Province, however. I had considered taking my 9.3x62 for Buff in that area and that is what was relayed to me.

Just 1 data point - I tested the Swift A-Frame factory ammo from my factory 24", 10-twist barrel and got an average MV of 2,300 fps with a high of 2,310 fps over 10 shots. Easy shooting and accurate.

Swift' online published data for the ammo says from a 24" 12-twist barrel they got a MV of 2,396 fps.

Waiting to get my hands on some of the Federal Safari A-Frame loaded ammo that's published as 2,360 fps MV. I'm assuming that's for a 23" - 24" barrel.

Last edited:
Just to offer another option …

I’ve used286gr Nosler Partions and Nosler Solids with success. Yes the partitions are a little softer but they have worked for me.

I have also used and love the Barnes TXB and Barnes Solids at 250gr with a velocity of 2575fps. I’ve switched to this and it’s my one load for everything medicine now.
Are the 250’s heavy enough for buff?

My wife claimed our Rigby 9.3x62 after using it in Africa. She's deadly with it and can shoot it all day, now that the LOP has been reduced just enough so she can shoot it comfortably and I can still do fine with it.

My wife claimed our Rigby 9.3x62 after using it in Africa. She's deadly with it and can shoot it all day, now that the LOP has been reduced just enough so she can shoot it comfortably and I can still do fine with it.
I built my first one three or four years ago and during the process I found a brand new in the box Zastava on AH for a steal so I have two. The build sports an ER Shaw 24” 1:12 twist barrel on a Zastava Mauser action. Of the two the Shaw shoots much tighter with heavy loads. The Zastava favors the 270 Speer and has a shorter throat. The Shaw is going to RSA with us. Unless the wife decides to hunt, then both shall go.

Most of seen are 1:14, ER Shaw offers 1:12, I’ve seen 1 with 1:10 and now yours. Be interesting to see who manufactured your barrel. The 1:10 and 1:12 stabilize the 300’s better from what I’ve seen and heard. My 1:12 really loves the Hornady 300 DGS bullets.

Why the difference in legal calibers from private land to non-private (public?) in SA?
Good question, I’d think maybe because of private herds of game? Or fences that prevent wounded game getting off property? That’s a great question. Hopefully one of the PH’s on the forum can answer that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you