9.3x62 Bison Cow Hunt

John Wasmuth

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Yesterday my dear friend invited me out to cull an older bison cow. I used my Zastava 98 Mauser in 9.3x62. Load was 53.9 grains of Power Pro 2000 MR powder with a 286 grain Hornady SPRP. Took a while to get the herd located but finally found them. At 25 yards Hit her in the neck right behind the skull. Fastest I’d ever seen a bison hit the ground. Got freezer full of meat with no damage to the meat except a fist size chunk where the bullet went through the vertebrae. Haven’t found the bullet yet but it wasn’t through and through.
7D14E5DD-F1E8-40B2-BEF1-426565D2DF30.jpeg

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Near as we could figure I got about 475-500 pounds of meat and bones. The ribs we cut into 3rds on each side for the smoker. My daughter wants to euro the skull and my buddy kept the hide as he’s having all his bison hides tanned so I can build him a great coat.

Near as we could figure I got about 475-500 pounds of meat and bones. The ribs we cut into 3rds on each side for the smoker. My daughter wants to euro the skull and my buddy kept the hide as he’s having all his bison hides tanned so I can build him a great coat.
Fantastic! Bison is one of my favorite meats.

i find it hard to believe that the bullet didn't just bounce off!! (its only a 9.3 not a 375) :) congrats.
@dirthawker
You don't need a sledge hammer to crack walnuts. Heck on a cow that size could be handled with an ought six. The 9.3 was more of a good thing and did a great job. No tracking one shot who could ask for more

You don't need a sledge hammer to crack walnuts. Heck on a cow that size could be handled with an ought six.

actually, it was great shot placement by @John Wasmuth that turned the trick, not the caliber. although, his 9.3 probably killed that cow "deader" than a 35 whelen would have. ;)

@dirthawker
You don't need a sledge hammer to crack walnuts. Heck on a cow that size could be handled with an ought six. The 9.3 was more of a good thing and did a great job. No tracking one shot who could ask for more
Someone told me your favorite Buff gun was a 243 with 70gr. Varmit Express. Doesn't that cause a lot of meat damage?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross