9.3x62 Bison Cow Hunt

John Wasmuth

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Yesterday my dear friend invited me out to cull an older bison cow. I used my Zastava 98 Mauser in 9.3x62. Load was 53.9 grains of Power Pro 2000 MR powder with a 286 grain Hornady SPRP. Took a while to get the herd located but finally found them. At 25 yards Hit her in the neck right behind the skull. Fastest I’d ever seen a bison hit the ground. Got freezer full of meat with no damage to the meat except a fist size chunk where the bullet went through the vertebrae. Haven’t found the bullet yet but it wasn’t through and through.
7D14E5DD-F1E8-40B2-BEF1-426565D2DF30.jpeg

John Wasmuth

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Near as we could figure I got about 475-500 pounds of meat and bones. The ribs we cut into 3rds on each side for the smoker. My daughter wants to euro the skull and my buddy kept the hide as he’s having all his bison hides tanned so I can build him a great coat.

Tra3

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia
Near as we could figure I got about 475-500 pounds of meat and bones. The ribs we cut into 3rds on each side for the smoker. My daughter wants to euro the skull and my buddy kept the hide as he’s having all his bison hides tanned so I can build him a great coat.
Fantastic! Bison is one of my favorite meats.

Trogon

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DU, RGS/AWS, NRA
Hunted
Eastern Cape, SA; KY, OH, IN, WI, AL, KS, ND, TX-USA
Congratulations, alot of good meals for your family. I spread my bison meat through my clan and it was certainly appreciated.

Bob Nelson 35Whelen

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
i find it hard to believe that the bullet didn't just bounce off!! (its only a 9.3 not a 375) :) congrats.
@dirthawker
You don't need a sledge hammer to crack walnuts. Heck on a cow that size could be handled with an ought six. The 9.3 was more of a good thing and did a great job. No tracking one shot who could ask for more

1dirthawker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
You don't need a sledge hammer to crack walnuts. Heck on a cow that size could be handled with an ought six.

actually, it was great shot placement by @John Wasmuth that turned the trick, not the caliber. although, his 9.3 probably killed that cow "deader" than a 35 whelen would have. ;)

Graham Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Alaska Canada US New Zealand Scotland South Africa Zimbabwe
@dirthawker
You don't need a sledge hammer to crack walnuts. Heck on a cow that size could be handled with an ought six. The 9.3 was more of a good thing and did a great job. No tracking one shot who could ask for more
Someone told me your favorite Buff gun was a 243 with 70gr. Varmit Express. Doesn't that cause a lot of meat damage?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NhaThongMinh

Latest profile posts

Member: NRA Life

Hunt: Alaska-Canada-NM
geoff rath wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
G'day Bob,
Just had a yarn with A G, and he has filled me in on how much work he puts in to such developments, referencing QuikLoad, tightening tolerances, load development, range testing. He indicated that of you wish to contact him directly he can go into details far better than I.
If you wish , contact him directly, he has given the OK for me to pass that on.
Hunt: Alaska, Canada, Mexico and USA: particularly the Western states.
Hi,
Going through and old thread I see you mentioned having a William Douglas double in 470NE for sale. Just touching base to see if you sold the rifle, or if it was still for sale?
Regards,
Chris
(Wollongong, NSW)
Hi Chris
Yes, I still have it
Cheers
Steve
Erin Lockwood wrote on Laurine88's profile.
Hi again do you think you could message me your email or some other way to contact you, I've been having error messages trying to send messages via private conversations to you since last night, sorry!