9.3x62 Barnes 250 Grain TSX or Nosler E-Tip 250 Grain for PG up to Eland

etsonaut

Gold supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, NRA, DSC, WSF
I am headed to Limcroma Safaris in August for Buffalo and PG. For Buffalo, I am using my 450-400 Heym 88B double. So, I am specifically asking for opinions on PG up to Eland.
I am taking my9.3x62 for the PG opportunities. I am hopeful for Zebra, Kudu and Eland, plus opportunistic species.
First, I am not a handloader. I am speaking strictly of factory loaded ammo. I was looking at lighter 250 Grain options for the 9.3 and the two factory loads that are available are Buffalo Bore loaded with Barnes TSX 250's and Nosler E-Tip 250's. There seems to be a lot of that available on Gunbroker.
I'm sure there are numerous opinions out there. Any practical, personal experience?
Thanks in advance.

I have a friend who has killed 17 cape buffalo his 9.3x62. Most of them with the 250 grain TSX.

It is certainly capable of all plains game including eland. When I go back to Africa,I'm taking a 9.3x62 as my all around rifle.

Of the two bullets the Barnes is a better choice. It is tough enough to penetrate the shoulder and expand properly. The other is a much softer bullet.

For 99.99 Hendershots will load you 250 grain Nosler accubonds in PPU brass just if you want another option.

But those 250 tsx should be perfect.

I have used 250 gr Barnes TTSX out of a .375 H&H mag for everything except Cape Buffalo on the last 6 Safaris with exceptional results. All PG except one Zebra were single shot kills. I have to get a lot of credit to my PH as he provided exceptional shooting opportunities and with the exception of a few 300+ yard shots, all at close range. I see no need for anything else.

I'd be careful with the Nosler factory ammo.
They should be placing a sticker on the boxes stating, "The printed muzzle velocities are aspirational only".

You are going to have a hard time finding better than Barnes TSX/TTSX. I can't speak to DG/buffalo as I only used it for PG. I used a 300WM when I went shooting Barnes 185gr TTSX. Everything died, one shot, and went no farther than 50-100 yds. Now, in everything from .223 up to .458, I basically only use Barnes.

The PH breathed a sigh of relief when I told him I was shooting Barnes.

I have never used the nosler E-tip in any rifles. I do wonder why they don’t have relief grooves when every other mono bullet does with well documented reasons for having them. I have used hornady CX 250’s in 375 and thought they were great. But I think the 250TTSX may be one of the better bullets for all-around use in the 9.3x62. I’ve done gel testing and wet pack testing and it consistently penetrated and expanded very well. It out penetrated the 258 hammer and 286 A-frame. The Aframe had better expansion and shorter neck but not by a huge amount. The gel block is 8” long and 6” across with a slight taper. The 250 TTSX impact was 100yds at 2422fps

IMG_1777.jpeg
IMG_1780.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EPCCassie

Latest profile posts

sampie wrote on JustSomeGuy's profile.
We have a has cancelled package on the border of Northern cape , Freestate in South Africa on the Van der kloof dam for 1 hunter 1 observer , 6 x trophy animals
Kudu , Blue wildebeest , Common Springbuck, Black Springbuck, Red Hartbeest , Blesbuck for $9500 normal price $11750 airport pick up and drop off included we will personnaly pig you up airport and see you througj all the formalities.
tổng hợp và gửi đến toàn thể độc giả. Với linh hoạt của mình, chuyên gia săn tin Phan Thế Công sẽ thu thập mọi thông tin về kỷ lục gia hàng đầu trên thế giới bóng đá bao gồm các cầu thủ ghi bàn nhiều nhất, cầu thủ nhận lương cao nhất, đội bóng tối đa nhất
Địa chỉ : 2 Ng. 281 Đ. Trương Định, Tương Mai, Hoàng Mai, Hà Nội, Việt Nam
Life is Short live it how you want...
jgraco33 wrote on 85lc's profile.
Is your 22HP still available? If so have the original case?
tacklers wrote on ianevans's profile.
Hi Ian, I'm contemplating my first outing, leaving UK via Dubai to Africa, taking rifles as you did.

I presume it went okay for you, would you have done anything differently? Cheers, Richard East Sussex