9.3x62 - Ammunition / Bullet Recommendation - European Wild Boar / Plains Game

UpNorthMI

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I just purchased a 9.3x62 barrel for my Blazer R8 Ultimate with a view to using it on European Wild Boar, I would like to receive input and recommendations from other members about ammunition / bullet selection for both wild boar and for African plains game.

I've managed to buy some cases and bullets but availability has been very limited, ammunition other than safari solids seems non existent.

Looking at using 232 gn (Norma?), 250 gn (Nosler) and 286 gn (various).

I was debating to shoot the 9.3x62 or my .338 Win Mag barrel on my first African plains game trip (yet to be booked!). Any thoughts?

I used 286 A-Frames in Africa. I have been using 270 gr Speers for whitetail.

Around 250 grains for euro game.

Always used the rws 293 grn for driven boar and a couple of red hinds and one quite nice red stag in Europe, and works very well...was only bullet I would use in my x62 and x74r .used it out here on wildebeest ..impala and warthog...here now use norma Oryx 286 grn as what is in shop...works well also...never used lighter bullets as I like heaviest available...and we mostly don't have long shots...

John,
There is very little ammunition available off the shelf so I am reloading my own. I have some suitable powders but not the perfect powders. Powder is just not available, what a crazy world.
Don’t know what powders you have on hand so hard to offer anything solid for you but I’ve had such great results with Power Pro 2000 MR and Big Game with a 286 gr Hornady and 285 gr PPU .366 bullets on everything from wild boar to bison at about 2550 fps. Very accurate and one shot stops. I use the same load for everything.

@UpNorthMI
I am hunting boars with 9,3x62 for years now.
The beauty of 9.3 that it is not picky on ammo, and is very effective.

the bullet is realtively slow, and that means it will not require premium bullet construction.
so, you can use any ordinary soft point, in standard weight 286 grains.

if you want to use premium, you can use, but you will not see difference in terminal performance on boar.

I have used both the 9.3x62 and .338 WM on plains game. Barnes 286 TSX in 9.3 and 250 TSX in .338. I have used the 9.3 more extensively and personally give it the edge over the .338. No animal shot with either required a second and penetration was excellent with both.

I would have no hesitation in shooting any of the plains game with either. My preference for the 9.3 is based on the reaction of animals shot. There was none. They simply fell down and died right there. From Jackal, and Springbok to Eland. DRT. Same for Black Wildebeest, Warthog and others.

I have not used light-weight bullets in either and therefore have no regrets.

I have used 286 and 300gr Aframes and 250gr Nosler Accubonds in africa with great success. Drive boar hunt is on the bucket list and I will use 286gr Privi, hornaday, laupa, nosler etc that shoots well and I have on hand for boar.

I have had the best luck with RL-17 and big game powders. Have been hearing good things about CFE223 in the 9.3x62 but haven't tried it.

I use the 286gr Norma Oryx in 9,3x74R - works well on boar and red deer.

I have used 286 and 300gr Aframes and 250gr Nosler Accubonds in africa with great success. Drive boar hunt is on the bucket list and I will use 286gr Privi, hornaday, laupa, nosler etc that shoots well and I have on hand for boar.

I have had the best luck with RL-17 and big game powders. Have been hearing good things about CFE223 in the 9.3x62 but haven't tried it.
Thanks for sharing your experiences, I wish I could get my hands on some Reloader 17 powder, I have been looking for some months.

@UpNorthMI
I am hunting boars with 9,3x62 for years now.
The beauty of 9.3 that it is not picky on ammo, and is very effective.

the bullet is realtively slow, and that means it will not require premium bullet construction.
so, you can use any ordinary soft point, in standard weight 286 grains.

if you want to use premium, you can use, but you will not see difference in terminal performance on boar.
I agree with "mark-hunter"

Always used the rws 293 grn for driven boar and a couple of red hinds and one quite nice red stag in Europe, and works very well...was only bullet I would use in my x62 and x74r .used it out here on wildebeest ..impala and warthog...here now use norma Oryx
Brenneke 19 grams/ 293 grain TUG, Torpedo Universal Geschoss.... best 9,3 bullet ever, unparalleled since 1935!

(y) (y) (y)

HWL

Have taken this round to Africa twice, both times used a good handload with 250 gr bullets; Nosler Accubond and Barnes Triple Shock.
Both produced good results and I would only use heavier if I were going after DG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg