9.3x 62 does it again Pork busting

John Wasmuth

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
My son in law took my grandson and me out to his bosses ranch to see if we could help with the pig problem. Sent a 286 gr Hornady PPSP through this sows neck at 51 yards. Really am enjoying the cartridge and this rifle.
7E909D11-FFC5-40F8-AABB-5F5377ECA3C6.jpeg

I have a rebarreled Model 70 in 9.3x62. A great rifle with surprising low recoil. I use Grafs brass, IMR4064, and Barnes 250 gr Triple Shocks. I have used it to kill a few whitetails, a zebra, kudu, oryx, red hartebeast, and it managed to stop a ferocious armadillo!

For this loading I used 59.3 gr of PP 2000 MR powder, 286 Hornady PPU (Grafs) brass and winchester mag primers. Shoots really tight groups. Right at 2500 FPS.
Holy moly.

I'm putting 62.0 gr 2000MR and only getting about 2420 fps out of that bullet. What is your cartridge COAL, and what length barrel are you shooting out of?

The barrel length is 24 inches with 1:12 twist. I’ll have to look up the length. The same load out of a 22 inch 1:14 twist is a couple of hundred feet per second slower.

Mine's a Zastava, pretty sure it's a 14 twist. Oh well. I can live with 2400 fps for Partition, Hornady Interlock, and Norma Oryx 285.

3.369 over all. My barrel is an ER Shaw. These barely fit in the magazine but feed well. Still way off the lands when chambered. It’s a Zastava that used to be an 8mm Mauser. In the factory M70 Zastava they are just barely able to chamber and are less accurate than the Shaw barrel. Also, using PPU brass.

3.369 over all. My barrel is an ER Shaw. These barely fit in the magazine but feed well. Still way off the lands when chambered. It’s a Zastava that used to be an 8mm Mauser. In the factory M70 Zastava they are just barely able to chamber and are less accurate than the Shaw barrel. Also, using PPU brass.
I'm setting all 286/285 gr to a little longer than indicated in manuals, but under 3.22" in all cases.

Huge fan of the PPU brass myself. I have two 9.3x62’s. One is a 12 twist barrel other is standard 14 twist barrel. Always takes more powder in my 1-14 twist barrel compare to the 1-12 to get the same velocity.

I find it interesting that the factory Zastava barrel does in fact require more powder to get anywhere near the velocity that the Shaw barrel does. And the Shaw does it with less pressure. Both rifles are extremely long throated but the Shaw more so.

The barrel length is 24 inches with 1:12 twist. I’ll have to look up the length. The same load out of a 22 inch 1:14 twist is a couple of hundred feet per second slower.
@John Wasmuth
Unusual, usually the velocity loss is 25 to 30fps per inch and even less in the bigger bores.
Bob

@John Wasmuth
Unusual, usually the velocity loss is 25 to 30fps per inch and even less in the bigger bores.
Bob
Doing some load development on Accubond 250s weekend after next, and also Oryx 285.

If I can get 2500+ out of the former (IMR4895) and 2350 out of the latter (2000MR), I'll be a happy camper. Assuming it works out, that'll be 5 different bullets that work out of my rifle.

John, I've taken a number of Hogs with my 35 Whelen which is very similar to your 9.3 x 62. Was your grandson able to harvest any hogs? If so what rifle did he use? Two of my grandsons have taken Texas hogs with a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser.

We are getting him set up with a smaller caliber to use. Right now he says he just wants to watch and learn.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that the factory Zastava barrel does in fact require more powder to get anywhere near the velocity that the Shaw barrel does. And the Shaw does it with less pressure. Both rifles are extremely long throated but the Shaw more so.
what profile barrel did you buy from Shaw?

also, I second @Shootist43 on 6.5x55. Only slightly more recoil, but with a boat load more punch on the far end, than 24s. At modest 6.5x55 velocities, about any 140 gr or heavier bullet will be more than up to the challenge. Also a fan of 115 and 120 gr 25s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you